Perfectly circular climbing rated Caribiner ?

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I just use 15mm wooden dowel about 75mm/ 3" long drilled in one end with some dynema tied into a loop so I can hook it into my clip when packing away so I dont lose them.
There have been a couple of people on the hammock forum report they have had toggles snap, which is one reason I didnt go down the Ali route.
DSC00390.jpg

But in answer to your original question, you could use a "quick release wichard" its not circular but you pull a cord and it releases even under high tention, they're are used in sailing but not sure for what purpose exactly (but you wont like the cost depending on type, back then 10yr ago they ranged between £15-£40) when I was Kite buggying the we made captive harnesses so you could release the kite if necessary very quickly if you got into trouble. many didnt think this was safe at the time but soon learned the benefit once they couldnt "un hook" from a conventional harness.
i'l try to find a pic. but the toggle was deffo your best move.

Last edited:

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
the product you found is what many in the kite buggy scene started buying because they are cheaper, but they were taking their life in their hands because "under load" the pin becomes jam'd due to the forces on its side holding it closed. Not an issue if your stood by a hammock swearing at it because it wont release,
But a major problem if your being dragged at 40mph+ speeds and need to ditch the kite while your doing unsheduled exit from the buggy hahahaha
this is the safest version, but not cost effective for hammock use. Hence toggle. there is another type I've used on my buggy harness, I cant think what its called atm might need to dig it out n look, that was about £15 (back then) and works on the same principle as the wicharr Quick release.
http://www.reliancemarine.com/Produ...hackle-with-Swivel-Eye-70mm-WD-2673/View.aspx

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I need to ask... Why pulled as tight as possible? I don't k ow what you're trying to achieve from this.

There's no force on the toggle, so why not debark some sticks and taper the ends.

Prussics on amsteel are a bad idea. It's a very slick line, and may derate the cord too (afaik the reason knots derate amsteel more than other cord is because of it's hollow nature)

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Aha! I now know that the brass thingy I found years ago was a wichard! I just wish I knew what I had done with it.

I was wondering whether anyone had tried making something like a viking shroud pin (vantnål). This was a simple lever/toggle which was used to tension the mast shrouds on a viking longship. I found a picture on this page- just search for "shroud". Just found a better picture - it's image 2 on the "Sailing" slideshow on this page.

I was thinking that something like this could be fashioned out of a six-inch nail or a tent peg.

Z

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've read this a couple of times now and I still can't work out what you're trying to do Mike

What do you need to release under tension? You might have to remind me what the green, red and blue lines are again. Which part are you trying to release, is it the green joining the tree straps or the green joining the red and blue part ?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I've read this a couple of times now and I still can't work out what you're trying to do Mike

What do you need to release under tension? You might have to remind me what the green, red and blue lines are again. Which part are you trying to release, is it the green joining the tree straps or the green joining the red and blue part ?

going on what everyone has said I think the toggle system will solve the issue - but anyway. It's just so when all the whoopies are tight I can reintroduce slack in the system for a take down. If I wasn't babysitting today I'd have the whole thing set up by now with piccies.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Cooooooool!

OK - I kept you under suspense long enough...

If by suspension hammock you mean is the ridge line holding the hammock up then not the trees - well then sorta. I guess. It's a big experiment, I'm solving problems that don't exist, not neccessary, destined to fail etc... according to just about everybody. But sheer bloodymindeness means I'm still going to give it a go.

Roe Ring

Forager
Oct 6, 2010
N. Wales
I thought that the whoopie sling could be 'milked' backwards fron the non-business end even under tension. Is this not the case? I have a DD Frontline with whoopie slings (havent used it yet), but if pulled as tight as possible, which seems to be the way many DD owners hang, then the whoopie may not release.

Sorry to hijack, but can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

RR

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I thought that the whoopie sling could be 'milked' backwards fron the non-business end even under tension. Is this not the case? I have a DD Frontline with whoopie slings (havent used it yet), but if pulled as tight as possible, which seems to be the way many DD owners hang, then the whoopie may not release.

Sorry to hijack, but can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

RR

"milking" a whoopie is when you rub the two interlocking sections together after the desired length is set to give a better friction hold, To shorten you push the outer towards the tree whilst pulling the inner, to lengthen to opposite is done at the other end.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE