Pentlands bivy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Finally got out with all the new gear I've been buying over winter (yeah, I know it's nearly summer now... ;)) and I thought I'd sahre some photos... This was my first real overnight in hammock and basha, and it was certainly educational. ;) I stayed pretty local for ease of escape should anything go badly wrong with anything (like forgetting vital bits), so I bivied in an area of Scots Pine between Henshaw Burn and Bore Stane, pretty much on the pass between Carlops and Balerno.

All set to settle down for the evening:

I'm sure the more experienced hammockers will spot that I've pitched the hammock too deep. The tarp is pitched very steep on the back side as it was really bl**dy windy... I later learned that when you pitch a tarp like that and then light a fire in the lee, the eddy generated by the tarp tends to suck smoke and flame straight towards you, which led to a tense moment or two. ;) Of course, this wasnt' helped by the fact that the only available firewood was Scots Pine...

View down to North Esk Reservoir:

Not quite the view from the hammock - I had to walk at least 5 paces to get this shot. :)

Cleaned up and ready to go:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that looks calm; an excellent chill out spot. You did it just right too, take nothing but memories and leave nothing footsteps. Nice one. :D

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE