Pemmican?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was looking on the net for recipes for pemmican and came across this one,
it uses peanut butter instead of suet/fat.

8oz Pounded jerky
8oz pounded dried fruit
8oz pounded unroasted nuts
2 Tablespoons of honey
4 Tablespoons of Peanut butter
pinch of Cayenne pepper.

Stephen.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Abbe Osram said:
Hi Guys,
thanks for all the help and info, I learned a lot and I am able to make my own Pemmican now. I believe I will have a hard time finding suet here in sweden, I know now what it is but we mostly have supermarkets here and they hardly sell any kind of fet. I found that in one store they could get lard for me if I order, but suet will be funny to explain to them.

Just ask a butcher I am sure they will know what you mean :wink:. It is the hard fat around the kidney (and as quoted above) and is pretty different in texture to lard.

Actually lard would not have been used I think from what I read. 'Lard' is strictly the rendered (i.e. melted down fat with impurities removed) fat from the pig. 'Beef Dripping' is the rendered fat from beef cattle, so I guess they were using mostly rendered 'Bison Dripping' :).

The best chips for fish and chips are fried in Beef dripping BTW. And in Wiltshire in the UK they make a superb pastry called 'Lardy Cake' from lard with currants and sweet tasteand served warm out of the oven :eek:):

Simon

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Moonraker said:
The best chips for fish and chips are fried in Beef dripping BTW. And in Wiltshire in the UK they make a superb pastry called 'Lardy Cake' from lard with currants and sweet tasteand served warm out of the oven :eek:):

Simon

Ah yes....fish and chips. Moonraker, you're absolutely right about the best fish and chips being made with beef dripping. As a treat on our holiday in Cornwall, we indulged in some from Rick Stein's fish and chip shop in Padstow - made in the proper way. Delicious! The only fish and chip shop I know of, to come with its own wine list. And a sprig of parsley with every portion.
:lol:

You've reminded me, I haven't had any lardy cake for a while. Time to put that right.....I'm guessing from your user ID that you hail from this county?

Best wishes

Bruce

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
brucemacdonald said:
Ah yes....fish and chips. Moonraker, you're absolutely right about the best fish and chips being made with beef dripping. As a treat on our holiday in Cornwall, we indulged in some from Rick Stein's fish and chip shop in Padstow - made in the proper way. Delicious! The only fish and chip shop I know of, to come with its own wine list. And a sprig of parsley with every portion.
:lol:

You've reminded me, I haven't had any lardy cake for a while. Time to put that right.....I'm guessing from your user ID that you hail from this county?

Best wishes

Bruce
Lived around Bath, Whitley, South Wraxall and later Bradford on Avon most of my life yep :wink: I used to hang around with the Wiltshire mods in Devizes occasionally but that is another story :)

Nicest lardy cake I had was from Rode, was freshly baked, to be washed down with a nice pint of 6X from the Red Lion or Rising Sun...yum :eek:):

One of the few things I really miss from England:

6X-Handle_and_clip_blu.gif

My favourite pint is Wickwar 'Brand Oak' from the 'Green Tree pub in Bath...

:cry: :cry:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Hhhmmm, Lardy Cake! :naughty:

It's about time I made some more. I use a recipe by HFW and it's gorgeous!
Every one I know liked it until they found what it was made with. There are some very negative opinions about using lard these days.

Never mind - more for me!!

:red:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Abbe Osram said:
hi
what is the difference between lard and suet? We don't have a translation into swedish. I find lard but suet doesn't exist.

thanks mate
Abbe
Lard is rendered pig fat, suet is rendered beef fat with salt added(i think). A major brand name for suet over here is Atora, a google search might help you locate some.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
Know this is an old post but have just realised what pemmican is (I thought it was an old fashoned name for spam )? There is also some vegitarian recipies on the net using honey ect as a binder Has any one tried to make an alternative using honey or some other low fat method Ilan

(little claim to fame following ) As far as i know we are the only people making "vegan" pemmican :) ,i made the real stuff sometime ago and to be honest ,was o.k if you were starving or wanted to bulk out stew but it was nasty lol,bit to fatty for me.
So we swapped the lard for peanut butter and the jerky for fruit oats etc and have made Fruit Pemmican" which is lots nicer lol
we sell mostly to Western Re-enactors and cyclists ( strange combo but there you go lol) :lmao:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At the back of a deer there are fillets that can be sliced off and eaten raw, they are so tender. If you slice them very finely and hang them on a tree to dry (watch out for corbies :rolleyes: ) the meat will pound up easily with weight for weight of good skimmed butter and cleaned dried rowans. The mix is to be tight packed into a croggie or a small ashet and sealed with beeswax or suet. It'll keep cold until the New Year and is used like pate on oatcakes.

Cheers,
Toddy

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Bushmaster said:
I'll be trying this recipe out next week. The recipe came from the book "The
Spirit of the Harvest".

Pemmican

Servings: 6

2 cups buffalo jerky or beef jerky, shredded
1 cup dried chokeberries or tart red cherries, chopped
6 TBSP tallow(beef fat) or butter, melted

Combine all ingredients and form into 6 patties. Refrigerate until serving.
:wave:
Geoff

How well does pemmican last if made with butter? I would have thought the high moisture content would make it spoil quite quickly.

On another tack the up river folk here make a form of wild pig pork pemmican called 'baboi' which is piced up and delicious which they wrap up in leaves for travellers. However it does not last for more than a few days.

Does anyone know of pork pemmican recipes?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I dont believe that butter will be a good choice. In cold climate here made with pure fat it last very long. I like to have dried onions in, and some berries and poundered moose meat. Salt and pepper on dark bread is amazing.

cheers
Abbe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The thing with butter is to make ghee from it by bringing it up almost to a boil and then turning the heat waaaaay down. There's a kind of froth appears and this needs to be skimmed off. There's a layer of curds that forms at the bottom of the pot and this needs to be strained out. The liquid layer in the middle goes an amber colour as the water is boiled off. After that the butter ghee goes solid and lasts very, very well indeed.

Better instructions than I gave.

http://www.yogaholidays.net/magazine/ghee.htm

http://www.ayur.com/food/ghee.html

Cheers,
Toddy

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Bonus!!

There I was, looking back over some threads that have been posted in while I was on holiday, and at the same time wondering if I could find out a little more about the 'Pemmican' I'd just read about in Ray Mear's "Real Heroes of Telemark" book (my brother saw it in a charity shop for !3 and thought I might like it).

Nice one all you clever people! Abbe, did you you ever get around making any?

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
falling rain said:
Hi Abe........... Havn't seen you on here for a while how's things and how's your cabin coming along? :)

Going fine, I am working now to build a nice outhouse! Then I got a wonderful nasty flue from Fenlander which keeps me caughing like hell.
But otherwise I am ok.

thanks for asking
cheers
Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE