Peg 'quiver'

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Another bit of playing.

I bought a load of hard ground pegs about a year ago, for use with whichever tent I am taking. They have lived in the slowly deteriorating shop plastic bag since. I had a nose about in my local outdoors shop for a suitable bag and couldn't see anything so I let the requirements fester in my brain for a couple of weeks. I'm well used to the routine of take out peg, put down bag, hammer in peg, pick up bag, move on and repeat. So I thought how about a container with a shoulder strap, to avoid the constant putting down, picking up. This is what I came up with;

SANY0041.jpg

SANY0042.jpg

SANY0043.jpg

SANY0044.jpg

Have yet to make a shoulder strap, but I will give it a bit of a test at the weekend with any old strap. The bottom plug is 20 odd mm of Iroko PVAed into place, my intention is to add a few wood screws with penny washers. Not really a traditional way of doing things but I guess it's not a traditional idea.

Thanks again to the leather working maestros, it's only something I've seriously thought about trying recently and the guidance on here has been a great help. :You_Rock_

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I saw this at the weekend and it is even better in real life! - completely over engineered (but then if you know Ben you know he dosn't do things by halves!)

I love the cross stitching it must have taken hours!

However PLEASE don't 'screw it up' mate! - I think that would really spoil the whole effect - how about popping out the base, drilling a number of holes through it then refitting glueing and stitching into place?:rolleyes:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You could also give it a going over with a paintbrush and melted wax, then hairdryer it so the wax penetrates the leather. That way it won't go soggy if it gets a soaking. Nice job by the way. Candle wax would do seeing as it's not for food use.

Eric

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Curse you Graham! Sometimes I hate it when other people are right.

I've drilled through leather and wood and sewn in the base. Also hot waxed the whole lot;

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0002-1.jpg

SANY0003-1.jpg

The concept seems to work well. Just needs a proper shoulder strap or clip-on belt loop.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
You guys on here are well cool. I can imagine opening a case like that expecting it to contain some valuble or very delicate instrument, a telescope or silver flask or something.

Just not sure id expect to find plastic tent pegs

Beautiful item tho

:naughty:

rancid badger

It is indeed a nice piece of work, the base could have been done with copper upholstery nails or even copper rivets if you drilled through then glued them in place. An alternative would have been to spend time sharpening up the shank of the rivets to make stout copper nails.

To be honest, if I thought I could remove the base without too much damage to the leather, I would replace the base or just remove the stitching and go with the nails, because apart from the underside it really is a stunning piece of work Ben;)

I hope you're not offended by the above, it's just the musings of a chronic tinkerer:D

very best wishes
R.B.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Thanks for the comments guys. I think I've been playing with leather work for about a year (I loose track...). It's quite satisfying and can be good exercise for your fingers. Trouble is I keep looking at kit and thinking 'that could do with a nice little leather cover'.

No offence taken Mr Badger. Can't quite say why, but decide on stitching rather than nails this time. May have to give nails a try on another project. So many ideas, so little time and money! Yes, the drilling of the stitching holes was a bit of a hash.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE