Peerman

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi All
today I had a play with the charity shop B&D drill lathe and turned a bit of seasoned beech into a base for something. When I started I hadn't decided what exactly it would be a base for, possibly a all wood rushlight holder, possibly a candle stick, maybe a spike for putting papers on. Anyroad, flicking through a book for inspiration I saw some Peermen or Puirman as they are sometimes called. Since I happened to have some suitable 1/32" brass strip about 20mm wide I knocked this up.

Peerman01_zpsbab36770.jpg

Oak, pine or fruit wood would have made a more authentic base and although brass was used iron would have been better. I cheated and used epoxy to hold the brass into the slot (I drilled a line of 1/16th holes and then chavelled them into a slot, cleaning up with a scalpel)

There not being any bog sunken fir trees to hand to make the splints/fir-candles i split up some maya sticks id got cheap at a garden centre which work OKish. Splints of fat wood would do if I could find a suitable stump. Could anyone north of the Border advise on what works best?

Anyroad it kept me entertained!

ATB

Tom

Incidentally if you google images "Test tube holder" amongst the wire affairs you'll see lots of metal contraptions which look like the brass part above, would save having to mess about making that part.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers!

I probably put in too many ls as it should be chaveled according to Wikipedia! To chew up with the implication of done roughly, crudely.

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
This year, and this is about the third on the trot, all the local to me common/soft rushes were useless spindly things. I was laid up with the foot so the wife and kids went off to collect me some and despite their best efforts of the trugfull they brought back I got barely a couple of hundred rush dips and watch lights ( you just leave two strips, they burn slower and lower).

I've found found another variation on the wooden rush nips, even simpler than the last one I did. I say wooden but the jaws are covered in iron to stop them burning. I'll put up a pic and the dimensions, when I've made it.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Does anyone have a dozen or two of nice big resin rich fir candles to sell or swap? I'd like to burn something authentic and I can't find a suitable doner stump/ log. There used to be a plantation up at Cloughfold resevoir but its closed off as they are finishing clear felling it! We used to go walking there all the time and the kids went into shock when we last passed, apart from a handful of broad leaves its all gone. We knew they were having trouble with them blowing over in any kind of storm but it seams a bit drastic!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
If it will split into splints it's better than owt I can get here, cheers!

Decided to clear up the weaving shed so now laying here having a allergy attack waiting for the antihystermines to kick in. Why I don't take them first is a mystery. Still, finding lots of stuff I didn't know I had.

thanks!
Tom

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Nice, ingenious work. IMHO definately more of a rush nip.

IIRMC Peerman comes from 'Poor Man'. This is one I've got, a late 17th early 18thC Peerman and candle stick. The candle side was when folks had or more likely afford a candle.

smaller image.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If it will split into splints it's better than owt I can get here, cheers!

Decided to clear up the weaving shed so now laying here having a allergy attack waiting for the antihystermines to kick in. Why I don't take them first is a mystery. Still, finding lots of stuff I didn't know I had.

thanks!
Tom

No worries - it'll split okay - can't get to it till Monday so drop me a PM after the weekend and I'll dig some out of the wood pile

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Rush lights......I've heard them talked abaht , but not tried or seen em used :eek:

Run Silent-Run Deep

You don't get a lot of light but as the name implies it was a poor mans light. Render down the fat from any meat you've been cooking, and soak the stripped pith of the rushes in it. Hang up and allow to dry/solidify. Gives quite a yellow sooty light but I've only tried it with beef or lamb fat. Things like chicken or duck fat may the lighter and brighter I don't know. Was something to do while snowed in a few years back. The house would get sooty fast if you used them a lot. (Plus the smell makes you hungry).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE