pee in a bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
Another thing that it may be worth mentioning, is that it is a really good thing to ensure that the capacity of the bottle is greater than the capacity of the bladder :eek: .

Please do not ask me how I know about this :(

Andy

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I'm thinking Platypus could market a special one way valve and 'attachment' for their hydration packs that allowed the liquid into the bag...

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
andy_pevy said:
Another thing that it may be worth mentioning, is that it is a really good thing to ensure that the capacity of the bottle is greater than the capacity of the bladder :eek: .

Please do not ask me how I know about this :(

Andy

:red: YES! that is good to mention. Often I thought a 0.5 ltr bottle would be sufficient. In the end I would still be out of my sleepingbag , shivvering, cursing and holding it up half way.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
One time in Ghane, canoeing on Lake Volta, my buddy and I were besieged in our tent by hordes of bloodthirsty insects that blackened the mozzie nets and sounded like a heavy rainstorm as they battered the fabric. Rather than get eaten alive we used our nalgenes for the perposes of urination... unfortunately we had the bare minimum of kit and needed all available drinking water containers - we were very careful to clean our bottles out in the morning!
John

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
torjusg said:
Wow, that is disgusting... :D

I'd rather not drink for a few hours before going to bed. But you Brits probably need your evening tea. :rolleyes:

Im with Torjusg its very nasty and disgusting :lmao: Im off to search the net for something on bladder weakness for you nocturnal piddlers :lmao:

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
In Spike Milligan's memoirs, he describes a convenient length of hose leading outside the tent.
And someone tying a knot in the end.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
OK

Early morning, light frost on the ground and a nip in the air having sat around the fire late with a couple of friends, had a few bevies and you are woken by the urge to empty your bladder!

What do you do? Bravely set forth into the night or open your trusty Nalgene bottle, roll precariously to one side trying to keep it as upright as possible whilst rocking gently back and forth in your hammock.

Lets pause for a risk assessment:

1.Going into the woods in the dark improperly dressed you risk injury, getting lost and hypothermia.

2.Hammock Splashing, rolling out of the hammock and landing on a half full steaming frothing Nalgene bottle the results could be major trauma, even amputation! Further more how long does it take a sleeping bag to dry in the cold and damp?

Think I’ll stick with hypothermia.

Cant help thinking about the wetsuit dilemma. Best not go there.

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
pothunter said:
Cant help thinking about the wetsuit dilemma. Best not go there.

ever heard of buddy-pissing? where one buddy releaves his liquid waste into the other buddy's wetsuit? I heard it's quite common amongst divers. Haven't heard this story first hand though.

Stutoffee

Jan 23, 2006
Manchester
Not the nicest of subjects but I use a "cheap" I litre Nalgene bottle thats got a strip of textured skateboard tape (is it called grip tape?) wrapped round it & a white "X" painted on the lid.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I am female, and even before the invention of shewee's I would pee into a receptical if caught short at night. Not wanting to go into much detail but the hazards of missing your target are hard enough in the light of the day. Waking up to boots that are cold and wet on the inside does make you wish you drank less beer the night before.
All things been equal I think I will always have get out of bed to wee, the leeks issue ;) it is very lazy and a bit mingy to go in your bed in this climate. I can see torjusg point.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yeah been there done that with old pattern 58 waterbottle.(clearly labeled with tippex all over it) a large "P". If anyone asked i just say it stands for "purified" and hope they don't ask for a drink :eek:

And that's all i'll say on the matter :D

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
there used to be special plastic containers that were filled with a gell, that absorbed urine - no smell, and no liquid. They are for pilots who don't have a choice when it comes to toilet breaks :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Peeing in a bottle disgusting? - Some folk - including it seems the late HRH Diana - drink their own pee for POSITIVE health reasons....I just pee in a bottle.... and you can still buy the stuff that turns pee to gell (as seen on Top Gear last year) - it is mainly cornflour.
John

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
John Fenna said:
[...] Some folk - including it seems the late HRH Diana - drink their own pee for POSITIVE health reasons... [...]

And some people drill holes in their skulls for health reasons...

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
surprised no one has mentioned using a debris shelter without a sleeping bag and a nice thick base layer made from natural materials...
tuck right into the side and aim low is all the advice you need. :lmao:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Is this the Prostrate Problems Support group?
Errrrrrr, whats up with going for a slash before turning in for the night and then again when you wake up in the morning :confused:

Admittedly, if I have had a bit to drink I can be woken up by my bladder but its never that early that its a problem.

I could get my head round doing it if I was half way up shishipangma while a blizzard raged but while practicing herbacious bordercraft/camping in the lakes it's just a bit manky.
Besides I am fooked if I can be bothered to carry yet another bottle about just incase I need to go in the night, I would rather have a quick walk.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i also use a one lte wide mouth bottle to pee in at night
the good thing about them nalgine bottles is that they dont pick up oders or taste
so after a wash you can use it for water again( its only wee and your own at that )
better than getting out of your cosy warm sleeping bag for one and letting it get cold

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE