Pedersen knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Here are a couple of pics of a knife I made using a Trond Pedersen blade.
Blade is 12.5x3.2x0.4mm laminated carbon steel.
Handle is curly birch finished with danish oil.
beltkit4.jpg

beltkit5.jpg

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
TheViking said:
Look nice, but isn't the handle a tad too small compared to the blade? :?:
Yes :cry: But the tang was pretty short and thats the longest I could make the handle and still rivet the tang. I don't have huge hands so it fits OK but another cm would have been nice.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Fantastic looking bit of kit that! Excellent!

Thanks for posting photos!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Adi007 said:
Fantastic looking bit of kit that! Excellent!

Thanks for posting photos!
Thank you very much! :biggthump
I just love scandi blades and curly birch, only thing is I'm already looking at the Brisa website for my next project!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I thought the blade was meant to be long, like a leuku. Nice one though!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Thanks guys.
Nice work Faca, how do you find the knife in use? I've only just finished this one and really haven't had time to play with it yet.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi it works ok but I worry about edge durability, it seems to cute for strong work as batoming, even it has got some nicks with only ligth chores, perhaps some steel touches on should help.
Enjoy

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Snufkin said:
Yes :cry: But the tang was pretty short and thats the longest I could make the handle and still rivet the tang. I don't have huge hands so it fits OK but another cm would have been nice.

As long as the tang was around 2/3 of the blade length then normal epoxy would hold on it's own. There is no need whatsoever to rivet the tang, other than for decoration.

if you use a slow cure epoxy thn you have time to make sure that the glue goes all the way to the bottom of the hole.

you can do this by standing the block up and then use a syringe to fill as much blue as possibe. Let it stand for 10 minutes then do the same again. The glue will sink into the hole and eventually the hole will be full.

Usual working time with the slow cure is about 2 hours.

IF you reall want to rivit, then you can drill a few small holes in the tang, and epoxy as normal. The epoxy will go thorugh the holes and creat something called an epoxy pin.

riviting and epoxy on a hidden tang blade is overkill.

Nice knife BTW!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
faca said:
Hi it works ok but I worry about edge durability, it seems to cute for strong work as batoming, even it has got some nicks with only ligth chores, perhaps some steel touches on should help.
Enjoy

The edge Trond grinds is done on a big wheel, so is slightly concave. Once it's been sharpened on a flat stone you should start to get better durability. I'm quite hard on one of my Trond blades and it holds up fine.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE