PCP rifles. I have a question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Got 3 R-10's I look after.

Iv'e got 2x 5 litre dive bottles that are out of date (5 years) and need to be tested before my local dive shop will refill for around £8 a fill with a 40 mile round trip. I am considering buying a high pressure compressor and doing it myself from home as I like to shoot often. loads of info on tube and most seems to say upgrade the air filter.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Got 3 R-10's I look after.

Iv'e got 2x 5 litre dive bottles that are out of date (5 years) and need to be tested before my local dive shop will refill for around £8 a fill with a 40 mile round trip. I am considering buying a high pressure compressor and doing it myself from home as I like to shoot often. loads of info on tube and most seems to say upgrade the air filter.

What sort of price would you be looking at for a compressor?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
About £200 will get you a compressor that is suitable, you can refill the rifle/gun with a specially made Hand Pump, but it is hard work to do that, a lot would depend on how local you could get a refill other than buying a compressor, as it would be down to how often you would have to refill the tank.
I do see a point if your Dive bottles were out of test, but it would be better to get them re-tested for safety reasons.
If you belong to a club, then you could offer to re-fill the members tanks, so the compressor would then pay for itself.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I will be getting the bottles tested, £100 I don't have spare at the moment.

After a bit of research the compressor with auto stop about £200. the better air filter about £65 but the internals will need changing depending on how much you use it so another expense. Oil is about £10 a litre as the compressor may not come with it.

That's what I would do anyway.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've had a couple, HW100 and S410, I filled via diving tank, got it filled up now and then, all very straight forward and easy.
Gave one away and swapped one for some blockwork, I probably regret both decisions :D
I think that having one springer and one PCP was a nice balance...

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I’ve owned a BSA R10 an AAs410tdr, daystate huntsman and a Weihrauch HW110, I used a Hills stirrup pump for them all except the R10. Never found the pump an issue.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I’ve owned a BSA R10 an AAs410tdr, daystate huntsman and a Weihrauch HW110, I used a Hills stirrup pump for them all except the R10. Never found the pump an issue.

How many pumps did it take to get the job done?

( Giggiddy )

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire

( Giggiddy )
On my S400 .177 it roughly equates to one stroke of the pump to one shot.
My pump is a very early example, newer ones may well be more efficient.
I Charge to 170 bar, and seldom take more than 40 shots, usually 30 without re-pumping.
That's what works for me.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I can be out for a couple of hours and get through 400?? .22 although my bottle states 280 shots at 232 bar, I do notice a difference when it drops around 100 bar so I like to keep it topped up with dive bottle. when there are 2 rifles being used then its another 232 to find when that drops too.
I will eventually go for a new 7 liter bottle but filling it with a stirrup pump, i'm not so sure. The Chinese compressors look like a good option but I wont be 100% sure until i have my own.
Judging by the reviews that have been around for a while, so far it looks like a good VFM alternative to what i'm doing now.

This review although a little old, i found helpful:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I can be out for a couple of hours and get through 400?? .22 although my bottle states 280 shots at 232 bar, I do notice a difference when it drops around 100 bar so I like to keep it topped up with dive bottle. when there are 2 rifles being used then its another 232 to find when that drops too.
I will eventually go for a new 7 liter bottle but filling it with a stirrup pump, i'm not so sure. The Chinese compressors look like a good option but I wont be 100% sure until i have my own.
Judging by the reviews that have been around for a while, so far it looks like a good VFM alternative to what i'm doing now.

This review although a little old, i found helpful:

I'm curious, what are you shooting at that you get through 400 shots in a couple of hours?

Reactions: CLEM

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Purely for fun, when I say a couple of hours, the last trip started at 1100 am and we packed up at 1430. shooting prone, kneeling, standing, Paper (Gamo and remington targets) and active targets (various spinners, bells, biathlon thing, varying ranges 25 to 50 meters. The R10 mag is 10 pellets I have 6 mags so it doesn't take long. I have access to a farm land shooting area my farmer mate lets me and friends shoot whenever. can be quite an expensive hobby :)

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria

( Giggiddy )
Waaaaaay!! Not very many.

Story of my life. ‍♂️

It’s sort of subjective as you never really want the bottle to run empty.. anyone with a moderate level of fitness you’ll have no problem with a pump. If you do then take a break half way.. ‍♂️

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
The TDR doesn’t take long from empty as it had quite a small cylinder but then obviously you get less shots….. either way for what it’s worth, I love PCP rifles.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm kinda surprised. I would have thought you were the type that would have cantankered a DIY/Self-reliant way to get the job-jobbed.
I run a 12L tank for pest control. They run about £200 to £250 to buy. Last for several thousand shots cost £5 to £10 to refill. You can buy a 300 bar compressor to refill them. You can charge an air rifle with a pump but it's quite the effort. I have one of them too. Happy to answer questions

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I run a 12L tank for pest control. They run about £200 to £250 to buy. Last for several thousand shots cost £5 to £10 to refill. You can buy a 300 bar compressor to refill them. You can charge an air rifle with a pump but it's quite the effort. I have one of them too. Happy to answer questions

I think you already have. Mostly.

I'd assume one can 'top off' a cylinder with a few dozen pumps with a stirrup pump if one doesn't empty the tank?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think you already have. Mostly.

I'd assume one can 'top off' a cylinder with a few dozen pumps with a stirrup pump if one doesn't empty the tank?
Okay let's be clear. There is a small tank on the rifle. This can be filled at any point with either a stirrup pump or dive tank. What you can't do is is fill a dive tank with a stirrup pump

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I've got an FAC rated theoben rapid in .22, I had a diving bottle and used to top up the two smaller bottles with that. Then my bottle went out of test and so I just started to use the stirrup pump and for hunting and the occasional target session that was fine, honestly I used to just treat it as a bit of fitness training which helped with keeping the rifle steady.
Deano

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE