Pay as you go phone with GPS, camera, internet and long battery life ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 7, 2010
UK
hey you can go with nokia pay as you go mobile phone. The best phone with best plan and even with some free text and you may also get some data plan too.

You even get the phone and airtime plan also.
just go with pay as you go phones.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I've just had an iPhone 4 and it's a staggering bit of kit. The gps is a real gps chip, not triangulated from a mobile signal (no signal = no gps). I've put TomTom on it and it,s indistinguishable from a dedicated unit. Memorymap is awesome too which means even if there is no signal you still get a fully functional gps system. I have ordered a powerfilm solar charger though. Great bit of kit.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Skobbler is rubbish on iphone rick tried it today said \i was 3 miles from destination and i was 200yards!
Absolutely pants.d

Ouch, something well wrong there, google maps pins me to within 10-50 metres but Skobbler is spot on, perhaps its something to do with the poor antenna in the iPhone?

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Ouch, something well wrong there, google maps pins me to within 10-50 metres but Skobbler is spot on, perhaps its something to do with the poor antenna in the iPhone?

How close does it pin you when you have no phone signal rik? I just turned off all cellular services on my iphone including 3G, wiFi etc and switched networks so the phone was showing "no signal". Then loaded MotionX, Memory Map and TomTom and got a fix on all of them reportedly to 30m accuracy. It took longer than usual to get a lock because the phone had lost assistance from the cellular network, but once it had lock, it held it even indoors. That's as good as my Garmin GPSMap 62st. I know the iphone antenna is supposed to be problematic, but if you cant get a GPS lock when you are out of cellular service, your GPS is junk, no matter how good your antenna. Another important consideration is that you need a data connection to get the maps in the first place. Sorry rik, I agree with ttc, free software that uses open source maps and needs a data connection to function, while running on hardware that doesnt work out of cellular range, is not any kind of GPS solution for me.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
How close does it pin you when you have no phone signal rik? I just turned off all cellular services on my iphone including 3G, wiFi etc and switched networks so the phone was showing "no signal". Then loaded MotionX, Memory Map and TomTom and got a fix on all of them reportedly to 30m accuracy. It took longer than usual to get a lock because the phone had lost assistance from the cellular network, but once it had lock, it held it even indoors. That's as good as my Garmin GPSMap 62st. I know the iphone antenna is supposed to be problematic, but if you cant get a GPS lock when you are out of cellular service, your GPS is junk, no matter how good your antenna. Another important consideration is that you need a data connection to get the maps in the first place. Sorry rik, I agree with ttc, free software that uses open source maps and needs a data connection to function, while running on hardware that doesnt work out of cellular range, is not any kind of GPS solution for me.

Won't work as I suspect you know Martyn; that said I have no problems getting a signal down here and don't use GPS for navigation as unlike you I don't go off to remote unknown areas camping or hill walking in Scotland where I may get lost. My cousin uses (IIRC) Copilot on his Android phone which works very well I'm told regardless of a mobile signal as all maps are stored. Paying for a GPS is no solution for me as I don't need it, Google or Skobbler meets my criteria. I've a hand held Garmin which may well go in the trade section as its just gathering dust (another failed impulse purchase :( )

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Won't work as I suspect you know Martyn;
I do. :)
...that said I have no problems getting a signal down here and don't use GPS for navigation as unlike you I don't go off to remote unknown areas camping or hill walking in Scotland where I may get lost. My cousin uses (IIRC) Copilot on his Android phone which works very well I'm told regardless of a mobile signal as all maps are stored. Paying for a GPS is no solution for me as I don't need it, Google or Skobbler meets my criteria. I've a hand held Garmin which may well go in the trade section as its just gathering dust (another failed impulse purchase :( )

I agree that a GPS shouldn't be relied on, a phone besed GPS even less so, but they are useful. My iphone wont replace my Garmin for a number of reasons, but functionality isn't one of them. The iphone (particularly the 4) is a superb GPS, not just because it's fast and accurate, but because it's 100% functional outside of cellular signal. You'd be surprised how many places have no cover - I lost all cellular access while camping next to Conniston in the Lakes, I couldn't even make a text - not exactly the African savannah. Any hilly or even slightly remote areas in the UK have patchy coverage - basically exactly the places you're most likely to want a GPS. It's not just an issue of caching downloaded maps either, even if the app you are using is capable of caching the maps it downloads and you have the foresight to get them for the area you are going to, if the phones GPS system wont work without a cellular signal, it's useless even if the map is cached.

You are right though, if you never go out of the "burbs" then this is meaningless and most phone GPS' will work as well as one another for simple city street navigation inside a cellular signal. It's not right to say that Skobbler running on any old android phone is a cheaper equivalent to the iphone though, it isn't. I'm no fan of Apple and this is my first iphone. I dislike the way apple locks you into their software and restricts the use of your purchase to the way they want you to use it, as most people do. But to extend that annoyance to the point of a general criticism of the product is not fair. The iphone 4 particularly makes for an excellent GPS solution and when partnered with quality software like TomTom or Memory Map, makes for a complete GPS system that is every bit the equal of pretty much any commercial alternative. The only limitation with the platform is the battery life, which is something common to all smart phones.

I hear what you are saying. Skobbler is free and for what it is, it's functionally pretty good, but it is critically limited in certain areas and certainly doesnt turn any old phone into the equivalent of a phone with a proper GPS chip running quality software. Best value for money is not the same as best!

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Just got back from Tesco and had a play with my old G1. Its got a dedicated GPS chip (shows how much I knew) and using a programme (free on Android) called GPS status it searches for satellites. I will take this more seriously now, locked on 8 sats, fixed me down to @ 5 metres, altitude is correct (according to my local OS map) so I may well buy some stand alone maps for it, only about thirty quid. For a two year old phone I'm well happy, does more than I thought.

http://nmsu.academia.edu/AnnaPatter...ilities_between_smartphones_and_dedicated_GPS

This time yesterday I was in Maspalomas contemplating a bucks fizz, today I'm contemplating GPS on a phone.... note to myself...get a life :(

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Carrying on this thread: I've tried a few of the Android navigation systems. I already have a Garmin 60Csx (a hand held outdoors unit) and a TomTom satnav so I'm reasonably up to speed on how GPS navigation works. My Android phone can't replace the Garmin entirely for several reasons but it can certainly replace the TomTom.

I've found the accuracy of the GPS signal on the phone and speed of lock to be roughly equivalent to the Garmin 60Csx as well as other information such as speed and altitude. With the right apps installed you can get all the information that a dedicated GPS unit will give you such as satellite positions, accuracy, grid reference, etc.

Most apps use online mapping data. This is a problem if you are out of range of a mobile signal, which you can easily be even in urban areas at times. There are some apps that use maps stored on your phone though and can work entirely offline. If you know you are likely to be in an area with limited or no mobile coverage, and you have Android 2.2 and above, you can cache the maps to your phone in advance by searching for the location you will be at. You then scroll around it so that the maps in the area are stored on your phone. Not ideal and I wouldn't risk my life on it but it does work.

One app that is very interesting is MM Tracker https://market.android.com/search?q=mm+tracker&c=apps. This app lets you view Memory Maps that you own on your phone. (This is the app Memory Map themselves should be making.) I've been using it and it works well but, being bitmapped maps they don't rotate to follow your direction and they are big so you need lots of storage space. The app also sucks the life out of your battery.

Another good app is Maverick https://market.android.com/details?id=com.codesector.maverick.full&feature=search_result. This sucks quite a bit of juice from your battery and needs a data connection to get its maps but its an excellent app that gives you lots of GPS data, height speed, altitude, grid reference, compass bearing, etc. If you set your mapping to "Multimap" (NOT OS Explorer) you will get detailed 25k Explorer maps delivered to your phone for free. This app will also let you load a variety of other maps, including Open Street, Google (inc. Sattelite and Terrain), Bing, OSM cycle, OSM public Transport, etc. A superb app but does need a data signal to be able to display maps that aren't cached.

There are also "Satnav" style mapping apps available which will work entirely offline in the same way that TomTom and Garmin do. You buy the maps and store them on your phone. Street maps for all of Europe typically take up about 2 gig of space on your SD card. The app I use is Co Pilot but there are plenty of others and they may be better but at UK£22.98 for UK maps it's reasonably priced, the latest release will also move to SD. Other apps of the offline car navigation type are Navigon, Aura, NDrive, etc. Co Pilot (and probably others) can be configured for pedestrian, bike, motorbike, public transport and car navigation.

The Android phones come with Google Maps installed on them and Google Navigation, both of which are very good and they are free but are best for street mapping and do need a data connection. The Google Navigation is incredibly easy to use and even shows you a Street Map photograph of your destination which is cool, you can use it in satellite or hybrid mode if you are off-road but again you do need to have data reception. My Tracks is often pre-installed but can be got for free, this will record your tracks and POIs in the same way a handheld GPS unit does.

"Also ran" mapping apps IMHO are BackCountry Navigator, I didn't get on with it and was more USA based. GPS Essentials, good app for giving you GPS information such a coordianates, speed, altitude, etc but if you have Maverick installed you don't need it and Maverick is better.

GPS Test gives you basic GPS data. Again if you have Maverick you don't need this app.

Then there's an app with an instantly forgetable name gvSIG Mini Maps https://market.android.com/details?id=es.prodevelop.gvsig.mini&feature=search_result. This seems good at first but it sucks your battery dry in minutes (Maverick uses less power). Many of the maps aren't relevant to the UK, it won't display the 25k OS maps that Maverick will. It doesn't give you all the GPS data that Maverick does. I did an uninstall of this app after a week or two mostly due to the heavy power usage and the fact that Maverick does it all better and does more.

There are plenty of other apps and some may be better, or more useful to you, than what I use. I don't really have time to try them all but I do recommend Maverick and MM Tracker for Bushcrafty type use.

Other apps I might get around to trying are: Locus, UK Map 3D, Open GPS Tracker, etc. There are almost too many.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
^^ Superb post mate.

I think MM Tracker and Maverick are android only. Look good though. I believe MM are making an app for android, but at the moment, it's only i-phone that has native support. The i-phone app works well, probably the same as MM tracker I would think. The only downside is that you have to load all those huge map files, but that is the price if you want offline maps. I think the whole of the UK at 1:20K is something like 16GB - smaller for Landranger.

I have google earth and google maps and they are both excellent. Co-pilot is also available and gets good reviews, but I opted for TomTom Western Europe for my routefinder. It's about 3GB I think, but massive coverage and functionally excatly the same as a dedicated TomTom. Another good little tool is GPS to SMS - simple, does what it says on the tin. Sometimes you can get text out when voice is not available and GPS to SMS allows you to quickly test your location to anyone. A popular i-phone app is MotionX. It's only 99p and functionally good, but uses google maps - you can cache them though as you say.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
MM themselves support Windows Mobile 6 and the more recently Iphone app and the Android app is under development.

Quo (Mapyx) mapping also support Windows 6 and Windows phone 7 and are doing an Android app and the Orux app already does it for you

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I have a Nokia 5800XM and I get about 3 days out of the battery using it all day as a radio and mp3 player at work so battery life isn't bad for a smartphone (all be it a bottom end one). I have View Ranger loaded onto it for GPS and mapping which is compatible with Android, IPhone and Symbian phones ( www.viewranger.com ). This gives me 1:25,000 OS mapping. They do a range of mapping options in different scales for various prices. I think it is about £30 for the National Parks in 1:50,000 but don't quote me, as I get it free as part of mountain rescue. Unlike some GPS apps you download the maps onto the phone's memory card so once you have installed it on the phone you don't need to go online to use it so it is kinder on the battery and your download amounts. You can also put the phone into off-line mode which turns the phone receiver off. This does mean you can't receive calls and have to turn it back on to make calls but it does stop the phone constantly searching for a phone signal and significantly increases battery life. That said it can be a bonus only being contactable when you choose to be.
The phone also comes with Ovi maps which is great for road navigation and you can use the phone as a sat nav for the car if you have a windscreen or dash top phone holder. This also stores the map on the phone so doesn't need an internet connection.
A slight niggle is that there aren't as many apps for the Nokia Symbian platform as for Android or the IPhone. This may or not be a concern depending on how much you are into apps.
This phone has been around for a while now so it may not be as pricey as some of the more cutting edge stuff.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
ViewRanger looks quite good. Seems like a cross between the Memory Map app and Maverick (Android). This app would work out expensive for me because I'd have to buy the maps whereas I already have Memory Maps that I can upload from my computer to my phone and use them just as I would on a laptop or netbook with a GPS attached (way more portable on a phone of course). However if you haven't invested in Memory Maps already it seems like an interesting option.

Even though the Memory Map app uses maps I've pre-installed on my phone it still uses a significant amount of battery power on Android and seems to be more power hungry than Maverick which is pulling data from the Internet.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Even though the Memory Map app uses maps I've pre-installed on my phone it still uses a significant amount of battery power on Android and seems to be more power hungry than Maverick which is pulling data from the Internet.

Same on the iphone. I think it's the downside of using maps that are designed to be used on PC's with graphics cards, power supplies and multi-gigahertz processors. I think the online versions draw smaller sections, which means smaller downloads and easier to handle data streams. The big MemoryMap maps would stress any phone. I do get smooth scrolling but it does consume a lot of juice in the process. That said, so does TomTom. I get good battery life generally, but when I start playing videos, 3D games and to a lesser extent using gps apps , it eats the battery.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Rebel if you already have Memory Map then I agree that the phone app is a sensible way to go. As it was I didn't have memory map so I wasn't tied into that. Also Memory Map wasn't compatible with Nokia's Symbian S60 platform, so I didn't really have that option. I had been looking at View Ranger for a while when they gave our rescue team the software and 1:25,000 mapping of our area free. So far I'm really impressed with it and it doesn't seem to be too power hungry on my phone. That could just be my phone though. I think Nokia's have a reputation for good battery life compared to other smartphones. The new N8 is meant to be far better that the others. That probably just makes up for the fact that Symbian isn't quite as slick as Android or I-Phone though.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
I've been using viewranger myself for a bit too and quite like it, some good features and new ones all the time with updates. you can record tracks, convert them to routes and export them for viewing on a pc, routes can also be uploaded, by just copying them to your viewranger folder on the sd card. Another feature which i sure i read that the mounting rescue are using is the "buddy beacon", basically it transmits your location to another viewranger device or a secure webpage, maybe handy if you get in trouble or are late returing. locus is also good and free with adds (android) lots of differant maps to choose from including os maps, a network siganl is required to update maps, it's suposed to be possible to download sections of the maps to your sd card, but i have never been able to view them off line after doing this, it can be used for geocaching too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You can buy extended batteries for some phones, some come with a new back plate to accomodate it, my G1 does, you can get them for the iPhone (you can't change a battery in an iPhone so its a clip on case to replace the one needed to get a signal), and the HD7 that I know of. Mine lasted a five day trip last week with one fitted.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I just ordered a Powermonkey explorer http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/Catalog/Br...tsLayout=ListLayout&NumberOfResultsPerPage=12 Disounted at Best Buy at the moment.

I can carry a spare battery but I thought this device would be useful for powering up not only my phone but other gadgets too (and other people's who are with me). When DHL finally get around to delivering it (they keep coming on different days than the ones they were scheduled to come on, making me very angry when I find outcards on my doorstep) I'll let you know how I get on with it.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
I just ordered a Powermonkey explorer http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/Catalog/Br...tsLayout=ListLayout&NumberOfResultsPerPage=12 Disounted at Best Buy at the moment.

I can carry a spare battery but I thought this device would be useful for powering up not only my phone but other gadgets too (and other people's who are with me). When DHL finally get around to delivering it (they keep coming on different days than the ones they were scheduled to come on, making me very angry when I find outcards on my doorstep) I'll let you know how I get on with it.

I've had one of these http://www.solio.com/charger/solio-charger-classic.html for about 12 months now and i can say they are excellent holds it's charge for months and months, I can charge my MP3 player 3 times from 1 charge in the solio or it will charge my phone twice. It's small light and well worth the £30 i paid for it. If your power monkey is as good as the solio you will be well chuffed.
here's one on ebay going for £22 delivered http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Solio-Classic...rElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item2a0fb3e4d7

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE