Patching/repairing Ventile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
I have a small hole to patch in a BCUK ventile jacket. I don't have any ventile to use so I thought I would use some of the waxed cotton from a Barbour repair kit. The hole is small and is in the single-thickness area of the jacket (so it goes right through.)

Any alternatives I should consider.

Advice gratefully received.

Xav

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's such a small hole can you not 'rescue' a tiny patch of ventile from elsewhere ? Failing that it might be worth contacting Westwinds and asking if you sent them a stamped addressed envelope would they pretty please send you a wee scrap of the ventile ?
Might work, if you don't ask you don't get. Good publicity for them too if they do and you tell us about it.
If I had some I'd send a bit, I'm sorry I don't.
You could also contact Point North and see if they'll sell you a narrow strip of the stuff if you send them the funds and a SAE. That way you have repair pieces more than enough. Might find other folks happy to split the price. Good fabric shops usually sell fabric in 10 or 20cms increments.

cheers,
Toddy

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Thanks Toddy. I have contacted Westwinds and Point North by email. The Point North website has the option to request samples, which I have done. I've also requested some Nato Green Gaberdine by Ventile which is seconds quality but might be good patching material. If it turns out to be suitable, I may suggest a group buy for Ventile repairs, though colour match may not be ideal.

Having searched the forum, I see Poly core cotton thread is suggested as a good option for the stitching (I was just going to use cotton!?). There was a helpful post linking to Empress Mills but the smallest quantity is 500m ! (It's £3.50, so not bad value, I suppose.)

I'm undecided about the poly-core. Sounds strong, though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How much do you need ? If it's just enough for a hand stitched repair and some for inside your hussif, send me a pm and I'll wind a selection onto some bobbin blanks for you.

cheers,
Toddy

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
I repaired a hole in my ventile smock with some ripstop spinnaker (used for sails) repair tape(Various widths, self adhesive ) and sewed around the edge. The military use something similar to repair sleeping bags. Hope this helps
Crowe

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Thanks Toddy. I have contacted Westwinds and Point North by email. The Point North website has the option to request samples, which I have done. I've also requested some Nato Green Gaberdine by Ventile which is seconds quality but might be good patching material. If it turns out to be suitable, I may suggest a group buy for Ventile repairs, though colour match may not be ideal.

Having searched the forum, I see Poly core cotton thread is suggested as a good option for the stitching (I was just going to use cotton!?). There was a helpful post linking to Empress Mills but the smallest quantity is 500m ! (It's £3.50, so not bad value, I suppose.)

I'm undecided about the poly-core. Sounds strong, though.

Careful ! Gaberdine is not Ventile. Point North had some material which they were selling as Ventile but wasn't. It sounds like they are now selling it as Gaberdine by Ventile. I am sure you only need a small piece, and you may not be bothered, but I bet this stuff is not Ventile, and Gaberine has very different properties, including fraying. Nice stuff but totally different

NS

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
what about cutting a sample out of a inside pocket for instance, then you could repair that with some other material - just a random idea, hope you get it sorted....col...

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
To be honest, if you have a Barbour I'd use a bit of the ventile to make good any hopefully small hole in your Barbour that you foolishly abused to try and repair the Ventile.

PS Don't forget to use four layers of Ventile and to proof it so that it works ;)

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
Careful ! Gaberdine is not Ventile. Point North had some material which they were selling as Ventile but wasn't. It sounds like they are now selling it as Gaberdine by Ventile. I am sure you only need a small piece, and you may not be bothered, but I bet this stuff is not Ventile, and Gaberine has very different properties, including fraying. Nice stuff but totally different

NS

Thanks for the heads up. I'll see what samples they send.

As per the other suggestions, there are fall back options.

Cheers, folks.

Xav

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
westwinds should have stacks of offcuts suitable for the job. I contacted embers for a swatch of fabric after the kids burnt a hole in my woolly hoody, even though they hadnt stocked it for two years they send me a good sized chunk.

sparksfly

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2008
London
I managed to burn several small holes into mine (sleeping too close to the fire). When I phoned Westwinds they sold me a half meter of ventile for a small amount of money (about a fiver I think). They could not have been more helpful.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
Be happy you have Ventile been looking for it here west coast canada and have not found anyone who has it... I want to give it a try as I truly hate Gortex...

there's a few american companies use it and I think the rcaf use it for cold weather flight clothing like the raf do.

what size are you?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I just slapped a bit of tent repair patch on mine... Self adhesive, it's been there for yonks. Seems to work fine.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
The nice people at Snugpak (WestWinds) are sending me some off-cuts of Ventile. Point North "samples" didn't yield anything suitable.

Thanks for your help, folks.

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
:D :thanks: Karen Silverwood :You_Rock_

Karen at Snugpak (WestWinds) sent me ample, colour-matched ventile with which to repair my BCUK Ventile jacket. It arrived today, no charge nor SAE required.

I know it's not a massive deal but she was quick and helpful in sorting me out.

It's the little things that count, sometimes!

:approve:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE