Parka Suggestions?? help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Loads of them, in no particualr order.

Pockets the fishtail only has two deep wool lined pockets where the M65 has four standard ones. The quilted liner and the hood can be used for either (I beleave) Fishtail is big and allows more freedom of movement. M65 standard a sewn in cotton liner the fishtail doesnt and so is lighter. The Fishtail is a tighter weave and more wind proof and being lighter very fast drying.

Lastly the fishtail is what Mors Kochanski wears.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
OK, this may be silly but how do I know if the M65 I'm looking at is genuine or imitation? Does anyone have a piccie where I can see the details? Does it come with a liner or is that extra?

So many questions :shock:

Cheers

Martin

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
M65 or fishtail Martin?

General rule of thumb - nato stock number on label but M65 JACKET in olive is no longer made for the army so these will only be mil-spec unless old stock items.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Gary said:
M65 or fishtail Martin?

General rule of thumb - nato stock number on label but M65 JACKET in olive is no longer made for the army so these will only be mil-spec unless old stock items.

Cheers Gary,

i didn't mean what I said in my last post. Honest :shock:

Fishtail is the old MOD parka, isn't it?
How can I tell whether it's Mil-spec or cheap imitation, Any other labels apart from NATO number?

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Buy from a reputable dealer!

Seriously though best tip I think is brass zipper - and a idiots guide (americans love these) after that its hard to tell really.

Sorry.

Fishtail - yes made MODS are the guys but the new poly/cotton ones are excellent - I have tested mine to bits (not literally) and its now a well trusted garment.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Thanks for the tips Gary. I'd forgotten about the Brass zip. Always a good sign of quality !!

One final question. Does the fishtail always hang down, like the MOD parkas or can it be tucked up out of the way?

Cheers,

Martin

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
it has press studs to lift it out the way - or if your in for a laught you can go arctic (designed to stop wind robbing heat and snow getting in) and tie the sides together under the crutch, looks like a big nappy. :rolmao:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Ok, thanks everyone for the info regarding the M65.

What about the Sasskit jackets? How do they compare to the M65. Is it only useable in Summer? Or is it Ok for Winter with good warm clothes underneath?
A bit more expensive, but is it worth it? Has anyone used this jacket. If so, which one? Force 8?, kit carry? Field smock?

Thanks for tolerating my ignorance, but i don't have the money to buy several different jackets if I don't get on with the previous ones :?:
And if you don't tell me then I'll just have to try all of your kit on at Ashdown. :eek:): :eek:):

Cheers,

martin

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I've got the SASS Kit Karry its very good IMO, plenty of room underneath for plenty of warm winter layers and when used in the summer months with a Tshirt you dont look a sack of :shock: in it, i had the taped buttons a couple of extra pockets, extra D rings inside the pockets to attach things to, velcro tabbed cuffs so i can roll the sleaves up and double hood retainers fitted too. As the name suggests you can carry a good amount of stuff in the pockets comfortably, I always have a pair of leather working gloves and a folding saw in the back poachers pocket,compass in the sleeve pocket,LED mini light attached to one of the pocket D rings and a spare fire steel, one of the inside pockets i use as im out and about for collecting tinder (birch bark ect). Its a tough working jacket with loads of character. And you are more than welcome to try it on at Ashdown :biggthump

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi shinobi,

I had a kit carry in gaberdine about 14 years ago, good quality, well made jacket. I now have a sass sas smock in ripstop DPM which I wear for work, its used all year round and gets quite a lot of hard use, I like it for the job I bought it for, Im very pleased with it. Its not as wind proof or waterproof as my Hilltrek ventile smock but good enough. Hope that helps.

Brian

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Thanks PW and Brian. I'd heard very good things about them previously as well as SASS's customer service. I like the idea of getting the jacket made to your own specification.

Paganwolf said:
And you are more than welcome to try it on at Ashdown :biggthump

I'll take you up on that PW. We're going to have to rename the Ashdown meet to "Ashdown kit exchange and trial" :eek:):

Sasskit/M65. Hmm, decisions decisions !!! maybe one of each :?:

Cheers,

Martin

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
If you have a M65 medium a fishtail small will be a good fit - unless you plan to wear many layers underneath - but for general temperate use a size smaller is about right.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I bought a fishtail awhile back but I've always been puzzled by the way the hood attaches. Is the fishtail designed to have something else attached on the outside of it? :?:

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
I know what you mean. I have just bought one and there seems to be alot of extra buttons and holes left over when you have it attached. All I can think of is that it for use on different M65 jacket models.

I wish I had know that the hood was designed to fit a helmet, it's just so dame BIG!!!! LOL

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE