Parka Suggestions?? help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I'm looking at getting a winter parka and was looking at the Columbia Ice Wind at around £130. Having looked at it today though, I'm not impressed. There are only 3 buttons on the storm flap, the zip is on the wrong side and the knitted cuffs are that slack,a gopher could run up your sleeve, let alone snow/ wind etc. Anyone have any suggestions for a good parka that won't break the bank ?? :shock:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Untitled-1copy.jpg
here you go dave.. i will have to take this down in a moment as S&A arnt overly keen on people useing their pictures, let me know when you have seen it!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
maddave said:
Arrrrgh both those sites are 'websensed' at work for being military related. Can you copy a pic and upload it to http://imageshack.us so I can have a look :?:
Here you go Maddave!

Attachments

• fishtail_parka.jpg
    fishtail_parka.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 76

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I received my Swedish M90 from www.surplusandadventure.com today and I am very happy with it. A real bargain at just £39.95. Quality is excellent. The site says excellent Grade 1 - and it really is.

Can one of our Swedish friends please tell me what the loop on the left breast is for? It is hollow horizontally.
Thanks

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Just put my M65 fishtail through its paces in Scotland - 'orrible weather!

Full parka was warm as toast up on the Nevis range in the snow and the hood (wool lined and big) was a god send.

For walking I removed the liner and hood so it was just a windproof over my swanni again it was spot on - the pockets are wool lined and so make good hand warms.

As we all know the weather was very wet and I delibaretly wore the parka shell (over a swanni) one day to see how wet it would get and how quick it would dry. Well, my flabber was garsted, we walked a fair old wack of the Loch Lomond stretch of the west highland way in good scottish rain and at the end of the day parts of the jacket still hadnt leaked (remember this is just plain old poly cotton) and as such my swanni was still pretty dry.

I am highly impressed with this parka - its versatile, functional and tough.

I ordered my first parka from Surplus and adventure and they sent me a used one instead of new so make sure you point out what you want.

Sizing - top tip here is they come big - if your a Large guy order a medium!!

When all is said and done I think this is the best jacket I have used in a long time and though I still have to test it in Norway's chilly spring weather I can give it the :biggthump for use in blightly!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
steven andrews said:
I received my Swedish M90 from www.surplusandadventure.com today and I am very happy with it. A real bargain at just £39.95. Quality is excellent. The site says excellent Grade 1 - and it really is.

Can one of our Swedish friends please tell me what the loop on the left breast is for? It is hollow horizontally.
Thanks

M90 stands for the whole uniform system, the parka we call "värmejacka" or in english warm jacket.
The loop is for a nametagholder (or whatever it is called in english).
There is also a pair of trousers to this jacket that are really nice when it get´s real cold.

A little tip: Roll in the jacket in the hood wich will make it a lot easier to pack.

Oct 20, 2004
Lincolnshire
Gary said:
Just put my M65 fishtail through its paces in Scotland - 'orrible weather!

Full parka was warm as toast up on the Nevis range in the snow and the hood (wool lined and big) was a god send.

For walking I removed the liner and hood so it was just a windproof over my swanni again it was spot on - the pockets are wool lined and so make good hand warms.

As we all know the weather was very wet and I delibaretly wore the parka shell (over a swanni) one day to see how wet it would get and how quick it would dry. Well, my flabber was garsted, we walked a fair old wack of the Loch Lomond stretch of the west highland way in good scottish rain and at the end of the day parts of the jacket still hadnt leaked (remember this is just plain old poly cotton) and as such my swanni was still pretty dry.

What swanni were you wearing underneath, a ranger shirt or the bigger bush/ mosgiel shirt (will one go underneath?)

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Just a ranger shirt over a t-shirt.

The M65 Fishtail comes big - I am a large or XL in most clothing and I found the Medium to be the best fit. It will fit over over several layers. I originally bought the parka for Norway and as such needed it to fit over lots of layers so when I got it I played dressing up - and it fitted comfortably over -

1 x ice breaker t shirt
1 x survival advantage wool undershirt
1 x ullforte rollneck
1 x ullsforte 600gm
1 x ranger shirt
1 x Buffalo belay

And the quilted liner it came with!

In this case baggy is good me thinks :) but for walking it will all tuck into a belt nicely.
scotland2204008.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE