parasol mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
parasolmushroom.jpg

are these parasol mushrooms?if so how do i cook them?thanks

Aug 15, 2005
If they are Parasol, They haven't opened up yet. When they do they look just like a Parasol.
Last week I tried a Parasol for the fisrt time. I identified it with my Food For Free Colins gem book and followed it's easy recipe:
Parasol Mushroom Fritters
Remove the stalks and wipe caps clean.
Dip the caps whole into flour, then batter and deep fry in oil for about 5 minutes.

They were horrible in my opinion. just tasted as though I'd fried a lump of earth.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Extract from

Collins

Mushrooms of Great Britain and Europe
Shaggy Parasol
Macrolepiota rhacodes

Quote:
Habitat: Conifers, especially spruce....
Quote:
A good edible species but beware of var. bohemica.........(which) appears to be more or less indigestible, especially when gathered in very disturbed sites.

please be careful

Tant

Aug 15, 2005
I don't know about disturbed sites, But my find was no where near conifers. I found mine at the edge of a field of grass.

I followed all the description carefully. My book says :
Found occasionally in wood margins,grassy clearings and roadsides.
It goes on to say it is among the best edible fungi.
So looking back it probably wasn't one of those.

The good news is I've ordered a Roger Phillips book so I should be better at identifying in the future (as long as the book gets here before the seasons end).

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Book also says, bohemica reddens less than Macrolepiota rhacodes, which isnt terribly helpful if you have never found a Macrolepiota rhacodes.

But judging by your description of the taste it seems something wasnt right. The germans used to say a shaggy parasol tasted similar to a veal schnitzel, which isnt much help as veal is virtually unobtainable in this country as well.

I never thought they tasted like veal but i smoke 20 a day so that aint reliable, and the grass thing, well fungi grow in such a hidden way that the green pasture could have been pinewood in recent history.

Putting the taste and the grass together my guess without seeing the thing in situ is that you got one of the bohemicas, note these are not poisonous, just not tasty

Tant

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Neil1 said:
Yeah, they are shaggy

At a glance id say they were parasol mushroom ( Lepiota procera) not shaggy parasols (lepiota rhacodes) which can cause stomach upsets in some.

Wolf was there any red staining when you cut into them?

Parasols are defiantly one of my favourite mushrooms.
I fry mine in garlic butter until soft but not crisp served on a bed of rocket. Any surplus I dry and use to flavour soups and stews.

Den

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
wolf said:
are these parasol mushrooms?if so how do i cook them?thanks

They are M. procera (parasol Mushroom) and not the shaggy variety. Note the DARK scaling on the cap (unlike the much paler scaling on the shaggy variety) and the distinctive banding of cracks around the stem.

The one most likely to cause confusion (and an upset stomach) is Lepiota cristata (stinking parasol) but it is distinctive by its sulphurous smell and dark stem. You would know it if you sniffed it :eek:

To cook the edible parasols, slice thickly, fry in butter for 1 min, lots of black pepper and serve on warm bread. Simple but delicious :approve:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE