Parang XL Mini Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Went out today with a colleague who is coming on the exped to Venezuela with us. I decided to field test the XL before finalising it's place in my kit. Glad I did too.

Apologies for the lack of pics, I took loads but somehow they didn't save. And before people moan about the wanton distruction of the area, it is being cleared anyway to allow the heathland to come back.

DSC07500.jpg

The Parang XL designed by our own Alfredo is a light and very maneuverable parang, and despite using it for nearly four hours of gorse, sapling and bramble clearance, my chopping arm didn't get sluggish after a while as usually happens when I use heavier machetes. So all the good there.

DSC07503.jpg

DSC07505.jpg

It cleared away small sapling and brambles with ease, and the larger 2inch plus saplings that needed clearing where chopped down easily with one swipe... straight through. The high grind on this parang lets you do many jobs with one swing that usually require two or more with the goloks and machetes of a similar weight I've used in the past.

For tidying larger branches, making feathersticks and points, the XL really excels due to being so light and easily controlled. It could and will be further improved by me when I put a convex edge on it. That should be a massive improvement on teh factory edge.

DSC07506.jpg

Now to the one downside, and it is a biggun... the handle. After five minutes of light chopping, the heel of my hand and thumb were starting to get warm. After about half an hour, both were bleeding. Now the handle is a great shape that allows many positions, but the one thing that let it down were the bolt and lanyard holes. Whatever amount of sanding and smoothing I did, just didn't work. Typing this I'm in a world of pain. Before I'm 100% happy with it, It's going to have to go away for a re-handle in something a little more skin friendly. This is essential as it will be used alot, and I can't afford to have blisters on my hand in the jungle, especially as I'll be handling venomous snakes quite alot.

All in all though, this is a cracking parang for the money and I'm definately glad I bought it. I originally bought two, but I'm selling one to fund the re-handle. No doubt I'll send it to Stu Mitchell as he already has a very good idea of my like in terms of knife handles. Also going to have to buy the little version too now.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just out of interest what did you think about the sheath, did you find it secure enough with none of the poppers closed, did you have to keep opening and closing them?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Just out of interest what did you think about the sheath, did you find it secure enough with none of the poppers closed, did you have to keep opening and closing them?

The sheath is more than fine, the inner has a thick plastic lining to prevent the parang cutting into it. It is light and versatile and pretty much perfect for jungle environs. The strap on the sheath body itself needs to be fastened at all times otherwise the parang will fall out. It doesn't need the handle snaps (in fact I removed one. But it is good to have one there when not in use for long periods and when trekking as it keeps the whole tool rigid at your side and lessens the swinging motion.

Nice review! I've been eyeing the little one already and I really like the design of this one. I like the looks of the over-all shape of the handle, but I was wondering how the handle texture of this one would do on bare skin from the first picture...I see my suspicions were correct. A re-handle is no biggie though with bolt-on scales...I can make handle scales...making a Parang blade is another story entirely :) . I have a 12" machete coming from Andy, the man who made the little "Bushfinger" I carry now so I think I'll see how it does before I buy anything else. I'm planning a 3 day camping trip this Autumn, should be a good time to try things out.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nice review! I've been eyeing the little one already and I really like the design of this one. I like the looks of the over-all shape of the handle, but I was wondering how the handle texture of this one would do on bare skin from the first picture...I see my suspicions were correct. A re-handle is no biggie though with bolt-on scales...I can make handle scales...making a Parang blade is another story entirely :) . I have a 12" machete coming from Andy, the man who made the little "Bushfinger" I carry now so I think I'll see how it does before I buy anything else. I'm planning a 3 day camping trip this Autumn, should be a good time to try things out.

The little dimples in the handle are actually OK. The placement of the bolt holes and lanyard are just in the wrong place though. They are perfectly located to give your hand a hard rubbing on all the high grip points. If they were moved aroung slightly, they would be OK. I am going to get it rehandled, but I may try it out with paracord and friction tape before I do, just to see the difference even that may make.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi johnathan i tried my xl today got a blister 0n the crook of my thumbhave you got any pics of the work you have done sofar was going to do a review but i think you nailed it regards dave

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hey Dave, I took loads of pics, but they were the only ones that saved for some reason.

I have a blister in the same place, except it is more like a burn now than a blister. I put a glove on after half an hour of hard use, but the damage was done.

To be fair, I could probably fix this problem just by molding some milliput into the bolt holes, but I want to re-handle it now in some nice wood. It is a really nice blade nevertheless, and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially at the price it is.

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
yes it is a good blade went through 4 inches of wood like a knife through butter regards dave

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
What is your idea for the shape of the handle?
Just the same but then with out the holes?

Hey Dave, I took loads of pics, but they were the only ones that saved for some reason.

I have a blister in the same place, except it is more like a burn now than a blister. I put a glove on after half an hour of hard use, but the damage was done.

To be fair, I could probably fix this problem just by molding some milliput into the bolt holes, but I want to re-handle it now in some nice wood. It is a really nice blade nevertheless, and I'd recommend it to anyone, especially at the price it is.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Have to agree about the convex edge, did mine when i got it, and now it works great. I did not have quite the same problem wiht the handle, but i did get quite a bit of rubbing untill i tightened my lanyard. I think that the bubbles didn't really help. I'm probably gonna end up re-handling mine too, but not before my exped. I'm probably going to make a leather sheath (following the same style) and keep this one for wet climates.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
That looks great. A reasonable price as well for a little project to get it rehandled. Dimples are just asking for trouble in my mind. Either it's secure or it's not.

I presume you're going stabilised with the wood.

I don't get the whole bolt on scales thing.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That looks great. A reasonable price as well for a little project to get it rehandled. Dimples are just asking for trouble in my mind. Either it's secure or it's not.

I presume you're going stabilised with the wood.

I don't get the whole bolt on scales thing.

Certainly am, although what stab wood I'm going to get, I don't know yet. I'm goind to make the profile a little straighter and fuller with a flared but.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
I back home yesterday from Croatia, hope you were ok past weeks.
JD you performed a nice review on Parang XL, congrats! I'm deeply sorry about the problems you had with the handle of XL.
When Parang XL and Parang 6" were made, Fox Knives decided to use the handles that are yet utilized for other models (i.e. Macio, Golok and so on). Now, I have quite large hands, and never experienced whit the XL the same problem as Jonathan, instead I experienced the same problems (hot sposts and a blister on the right hand) using the Parang 6", which for me has a handle too small and elaborate. A D-guard has nearly solved the problem for me.
Hope a wood handle solve the problem on XL. By my part, I'm on go with Fox Knives to solve it, and I'll let you know.
Many thanks Jonathan for the review,
Alfredo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE