parang materials

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I do a lot of vegatation clearence and fancy having a go at making a parang but dont want to go to large expense so what would be a good metal to make one from. i dont want to buy if i can so what would work from what could be laying around in a workshop/tip.

weekender

(sorry if this is in the wrong place feel free to move if so)

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
thanks Dave how would you go about putting it straight i dont have access to a forge, though i could heat it with gas torch but that would make the metal soft wouldnt it??

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Not all leaf springs are curved, have a look at some of the larger vehicles.

I used to know a chap (he's deceased now) that helped Lofty on courses, he said that Lofty used to use land rover leaf springs for his..........how true I don't know I never asked Lofty, but Dave was not big on BS, so.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Yep, spring steel - the traditional Indonesian makers of Valiant tools use it for Goloks & Parangs.

As with any steel/geometry combination the end result is largely determined by the Tempering.

A trip to a breakers yard might be in order.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
LLeaf spring is a fine material itis usually made of 5160 the only draw back is the stuff is hard too find in a small thickness. It uswually comes around the 1/4 inch mark.

Abe

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
LLeaf spring is a fine material itis usually made of 5160 the only draw back is the stuff is hard too find in a small thickness. It uswually comes around the 1/4 inch mark.
Abe

1/4" stuff ? Oh to be so lucky as to find some 1/4" ! The only time I had a go at forging a piece of a leaf spring I think it must have been more like 7/16" thick. Boy does that take some hammering to thin down !

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
1/4" stuff ? Oh to be so lucky as to find some 1/4" ! The only time I had a go at forging a piece of a leaf spring I think it must have been more like 7/16" thick. Boy does that take some hammering to thin down !

Sounds like you might have gotten some truck stuff try looking for small cars the smallest I have found and really I use the terms found for I was lucky to get it was golf cart leaf spring it fell just under the 1/4 inch mark.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Any tool steel of suitable proportions would do fine provided the HT & Temper are done correctly.

Are you intending to forge the blade to shape or grind/file it?

If it's the latter then failing other options you could buy some 01 tool steel from Cromwell or somewher similar fairly cheaply.

Do a search for 'ground flat stock'...

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
if you have any old saw blades they will likely be L6 which is suitable. you may be able to get 1075 in the right thickness from somewhere, again thats suitable too. sometimes called en45.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I was thinking to just grind a a simple shape, didnt want to go to any expense thats why the leaf spring sounded a good idea and still could be but the thickness sounds like an issue,might be a good idea to take a trip down mackays and see what they have:D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
You have to be careful assuming that old tools/springs are a particular steel. That's why I buy virgin steel ;)

In this country springs are made from EN45 (silicon manganese spring steel that is nothing like L6 chemically), EN43, EN42 (like 1075). Saws are also made form L6 (though our L6 is very different to the US version), EN42, EN47, CS70 (1070), CS80 (1080) as well as the rubbish steels. Each steel needs to be heat treated in teh correct way for teh chemistry.

Most modern leaf springs in the UK are EN45 or EN43. 45 is great, works and uses similarly to 5160 (which you can't get in this country sadly), but EN43 is too low in carbon for an edged tool. Great springs aren't alwyas great knives these days I'm afraid. Also as Longstrider says, most of the springs here are a bit thick without a power hammer (or patience in my case!) so maybe an industrial bandsaw or a large circular saw (eg from a saw bench on a tractor) would be better for you?

If you use old steel, spark test it. Basically touch it against a bench grinder and look at teh sparks. There are pics of this online I'm sure. It's a crude guide but it gives you an idea of whether the steel will likely make a good blade. Then take an offcut and try some heat treating experiments with it just to make sure it will work. It will save a lot of time and tears doing that! I nearly made an axe out of a fork lift truck spike a while ago. The thing sparked like a medium carbon steel (as expected), got hard on quenching, but at a very low temperature the hardness rapidly dropped off. So it could be made hard and tough, or springy but would never hold an edge. Experiment!

If you struggle with finding anything send me a pm of teh dimensions you need and I'll have a dig about and see if I have anything suitable ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE