Parang Design – Advice Please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
A very kind forum member has offered to act as an intermediary between myself and a blade smith in the Far East in order to try and get a Parang made up for me (They, the forum member, have asked not to be named, for fear of being swamped with requests for other Parangs to be made for other members, and so The Intermediary Who Must Not Be Named will be referred to by myself, here on in as ‘TIWMNBN’ –yes, I know, it’s daft :D ).

The drawing below, is based on one of those used by RM. Its primary purposes will be rather like that of a large western camp knife – preparation of firewood, some butchery, food prep, and so forth.

I purposely haven’t specified things like the thickness of the blade or the type of cross section and grind, for several reasons.

Firstly, the blade smith works to a strong local cultural tradition in respect to these features. He is in his 70’s and therefore has a lifetime’s experience of forging blades and using them, which I do not, and he will know what works best, and I am happy to learn from this.

Secondly, and this may appear at first to contradict my first point, I would like to solicit opinions on the design from the members here. Have I made any serious mistakes with the design and blade profile etc? Now, this is where it gets interesting, TIWMNBN will hopefully have the opportunity at some point during the next few days, to show the drawing below to the blade smith, and will return the smith’s comments on the design, to me. In turn it has been suggested to me by TIWMNBN that any modifications that members here would like to see to the initial design below, could also be shown to the blade smith.

It strikes me that there is an interesting possibility for a cultural exchange here, in respect to blade design between us and the blade smith in the Far East.

So, to that end, I would be very interested to here from members who are experienced in the use of large blades. Of course, anyone is welcome to join in, and all suggestions for improvements will be given serious consideration.

The drawing that can be downloaded at the URL will print out at A4 size, so feel free to print it off, draw on top of it, rescan it, and repost it to illustrate your ideas, should you wish to do so. And for that matter, if you’d like to download it to use as a basis for the pattern to make your own version of the knife, then by all means do so.

parang_bcuk_small.jpg

This one will print to A4 size (I hope :) ):
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t179/B3xIq7/parang_bcuk_large.jpg

Best regards,
Paul.

O

Old Timer

The design you have there is a fairly traditional shape in places like Sabah and some other parts of Borneo. If you are travelling to this part of the world it would be better to buy when you get there. As they are locally made, they are usually quite cheap. ;)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Hey, thanks for nibbling at this one, OT. Seems this one’s not tickling anyone’s fancy :D

TIWMNBN has been giving me something of an education on the various styles of jungle knife in that part of the world. As plans stand, it’ll be an Iban smithy making it. The drawing is a departure from his usual tradition (shorter and deeper blade), so it’s not clear if he will be offended by being asked to make it. Unfortunately, TIWMNBN wasn’t able to meet with the smithy as hoped, so no feed back from him on this occation. It’s a pity, as I was looking forward to his reaction and comments.

By the way, I’ve been given an indication of the costs involved and they are very reasonable indeed, So, no worries on that score.

Thanks again for your kind interest.

Best regards,
Paul.

O

Old Timer

I don't think you will insult the Iban by asking for a slightly different design. I have found that people in the far east are happy to give you what you want (you're paying after all). It's only in the west were you get what you're given.
When I was last in Malasia parangs were quite often sold at the roadside (out in the sticks), and always cheap. :)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Old Timer said:
I don't think you will insult the Iban by asking for a slightly different design. I have found that people in the far east are happy to give you what you want (you're paying after all). It's only in the west were you get what you're given...

Well, that’s reassuring, OT, thank you.

My concern was that, as the Iban is not a full-time knife maker (I’m told he’ll be busy with the rice crop for months yet), I didn’t want to fall into the trap of blundering into a culture on the other side of the world, with an ‘on demand’/“the consumer is king” (Margret Thatcher)/ ‘I expect instant gratification’/’I need it yesterday!’, western European attitude.

Old Timer said:
...When I was last in Malasia parangs were quite often sold at the roadside (out in the sticks), and always cheap. :)

This is true - TIWMNBN ( :lmao: this is so silly) could get me any number of ‘off the shelf’ jungle knives, and I’m willing to bet that all of them would be useful tools. One of the things that I found attractive about the Iban’s work is that I was required to give dimensions of my hand, so that the knife handle (which I imagine will look very different to the one in the illustration above, having seen an example of his work since I produced the drawing some weeks ago) would fit my hand perfectly, and as I understand it all of the handles made by this smithy are made for the comfort of each individual owner. A nice touch, not absolutely essential, but nice.

Best regards,
Paul.

O

Old Timer

Well, I suppose you should have what you will be most happy with. I've always tended to stay away from "personalised" equipment because it can't be readily replaced. "Off the peg" items can be lost or stolen (and they will be) without feeling too much pain. :cool:

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
I can only tell you what I tend to do with a design and hopefully it helps. I take a coy of my drawing and spray adhesive it to a piece of 1/4 partical board cut it out and shape it. After that I tend to play with it a bit keeping in mind how the various properties will change when it is made from steel.

Hopefully that helps and I am not repeating anything anyone else has typed.

Abe

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Old Timer said:
Well, I suppose you should have what you will be most happy with. I've always tended to stay away from "personalised" equipment because it can't be readily replaced. "Off the peg" items can be lost or stolen (and they will be) without feeling too much pain. :cool:

True.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
CanRanger said:
I can only tell you what I tend to do with a design and hopefully it helps. I take a coy of my drawing and spray adhesive it to a piece of 1/4 partical board cut it out and shape it. After that I tend to play with it a bit keeping in mind how the various properties will change when it is made from steel.

Hopefully that helps and I am not repeating anything anyone else has typed.

Abe

Making a physical prototype is a very sound idea, Abe. Thank you :)

Best regards,
Paul.

CanRanger

Tenderfoot
May 1, 2004
Canada
home.cogeco.ca
The other thing i like to do is take the prototype and run around my back yard swinging it over my head yelling. It give me a good feel for what the neighbors will put up with.

Sorry been locked in the shop all day.

Abe

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
CanRanger said:
The other thing i like to do is take the prototype and run around my back yard swinging it over my head yelling. It give me a good feel for what the neighbors will put up with.

Abe

A good idea.

Green Man, check out these patterns that may impress your neighbours.

i583312_113parangilang.gif

A Kenyah head chopper

i583264_axe.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

A general purpose chopper Iban style (A Chandong)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Abe, I know exactly how you feel, there’s no need to apologise, although I’m going to hold off with the running around and yelling thing – people tend to get shot for doing that kind of thing in London :D

BOD, Like that Iban blade, I’m amazed to see a recurve (there really is nothing new, is there?), and I notice that the cross-section of the Kenniah Parang Ilang looks very close to a Japanese chisel grind. I’d really would like to try out a small outdoors knife with that type of grind.

Cool pics, BOD.

Thanks guys,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE