Paramo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I've got quite bit of paramo stuff throughout our family. I personally wouldn't use my outer wear for bushcrafting simply because they are so bloody expensive and will melt near any fire sparks or rip in woods and brush.

Apart from that they are as waterproof as you keep them, meaning regular washing treatment with Nixwax which can also turn out expensive. I find my 'Alta' nice to wear when walking and very breathable in Cold and Cool weather. I also use a 'Taiga' fleece and 'fuera' jacket which is great apart from severe static from the taiga. My favourite paramo garment was the 'Tiempo' Fleece but unfortunately the dog chewed the zip and I havent got round to repairing it yet. My dad walks the dog in 'Alta' Jacket and 'cascada' trousers in the wet and has come back wet because he doesn't keep them treated with Nikwax. My mum has an early 'cascada' jacket which she wears a lot in all weathers so must be comfortable. The other plus is they are a very quiet material and beautifully made, but I would say not as tough as goretex.

If you have the money for pajero or halcon I would look at a Ventile jacket or smock with maybe a paramo midlayer or wool shirt underneath but thats my opinion only.

Hopefully the BCUK ventile and it's cheaper Poly/cotton eqivalent 'May' be available (I hope) in the near future. I think this would be my favourite Scrafting jacket of all time. Fingers Crossed.

Last edited:

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Back track, I love the stuff. Treating is easy and only needs to be done once a year, I have some paramo sallopets, trousers, a velez smock and their windproof smock. I love all of it, I have been in absolute downpours in the stuff and been bone dry whilst others are soaked.

I also have ventile and goretex, ventile is good but does get very stiff in the wet. Goretex is like wearing a bin bag! I do find that paramo is too hot in warmer conditions hence why I bought the windproof smock which is perfect form summer rain as it is nearly waterproof!

I have had my velez for nearly two years and have whacked through a lot of brush in it and have yet to rip it and unlike goretex if you do snag it you just stich it up and it is waterproof!

I do regulary use the paramo ahead of the ventile, but I do like the feel of the ventile some times, however I have been in a ventile jacket in a downpour got wet and then got cold. If I could only have one I would have my paramo

Last edited:

mark j lang

Apr 19, 2009
stroud
had my paramo twenty years better than double ventile in extreme mountain long way from home weather
Reproof twice a year, wash with lux pure saop flakes, overall too warm in summer but excellent when heavens open, buy it

mark lang

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would agree with most of what's been said. We get issued with Cascada jackets for work, but I find it too hot in summer, and I don't wear it around fires or when doing practical work like scrub clearing. Excellent for winter walking and good for wildlife watching as they are silent, unlike goretex. the hood is very comfy. I also use Lux flakes for washing as it is cheaper than the Nikwax wash liquid.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
A little bit of the opposite view - I am a Paramo apostate - I used to have loads of the stuff, then discovered a few problems and sold it all on.
1) They go from well-proofed and not leaking to leaking like a sieve suddenly. So unless you take the precaution of a proofing before each long trip then you run the risk of being fine on day one, getting soaked on day two and staying that way (as I did one miserable trip last year)
2) They melt really easily near fires as I found out (so once you've got your jacket soaking you end up melting it trying to dry it !)
3) If you kneel / lean elbows on something wet you will get wet very fast
4) They just don't look right on but that's a matter of opinion.
5) They're too hot

For me, modern Goretex and softshells work 100% on the hills and ventile and wool work round the fire and for field archery

Justy another thought but as a fellow (rough) shooter, I would say the average patch of brambles / gorse and barbed wire would rip the Pajero to shreds. I see it as more of a birdie jacket. Shooting needs something very tough.

Most people who have got Paramo swear by it, however
All IMHO

NS

Last edited:

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Thanks nonsuch, I think for the rough shooting i will stick with the old barbour, most folk have advised me its as good as it gets. I was looking for something for the foreshore as well as sort of semi casual shoot jacket. Waterproof and comfortable!!!

Might stop into John Norris next time i'm passing!!!

TaviaRS

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I was a goretex lover for quite a few years, always looked at alternatives but kept bottling it. Then one day I took the plunge and bought Paramo - boy was I happy, it did what it said on the tin. First I had the Aspirant smock, then the cascade(?) trousers and a taiga fleece. Then after a while I encountered the issues that nonsuch had and, like him, I have switched. All of it went on ebay. Currently I have an event jacket and trousers - much less binliner like than goretex and a lot more comfortable. I also have a Harkila pro-hunter jacket which is what my welsh wife would describe as "lush". Quiet, comfortable and remarkably durable - bit heavy and warm for summer use though.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I bought some Harkila stuff jumpers etc and it is great gear, I also tried on the Pro-hunter jacket (twice), it is really really nice. However its £400 plus, thats pretty sore!!!

John Norris have the high bird jacket half price, but i dont think its as good as the high bird!!!

Aug 11, 2006
Lancashire
Some interesting comments here. Ive had a Paramo Alta II for about 2 years now and have had trouble with its water proof qualities ever since I bought it. Water does not bead properly on it and in heavy rain it just soaks in. Not what I expect from a £220 jacket! This is despite regulalrly proofing it with Nikwax as per the instructons. Ive recently sent it back to Paramo for them to have a look at it as per their life time guarantee. I havent had a reply yet so itll be interesting to see what they say.

techworm

Forager
Aug 18, 2006
lancashire
johnnytheboy, have a look at the "Ridgeline" line of shooting garments, many are available in cammo version as well as muted greens.
The "Monsoon" is similar to the swazi smock but at a fraction of the cost.
The "Roar" jacket is very good and has more pockets but i found it to be a little short in the body length compared to the "Monsoon"

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
I'm tempted to buy their Velez when I get some spare pennies
Have a look on eBay at Paramo Seconds' shop. It's actually run by Paramo themselves. Just picked up a Velez myself for less than half price because it's missing the hood.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have a look on eBay at Paramo Seconds' shop. It's actually run by Paramo themselves. Just picked up a Velez myself for less than half price because it's missing the hood.

I was just looking at their stuff tonight actually. They've got a Velez in a medium but it's got two small repaired nicks in the outer.

Has yours arrived yet ? What are the sizes like ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE