Paraffin vs Kerosene

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Hi All

I am not sure what the difference is. I have been using paraffin for my pressure lamps, stoves and heaters for a couple of months now, and now I realise it is not cheap.

Looking around cheaper suppliers of paraffin, I have come across Kerosene supplier about 10 miles away from me. They sell Kerosene for 80p per litre, which is about half the price of paraffin sold by hardware store.

I have phoned, and asked about Kerosene, and they say that Kerosene is mainly for boilers for heating house and it is yellow colour.

Paraffin I was getting is also yellow colour, so I am going to get some of Kerosene, and try it only for outdoors i.e. shed, tent and in the garden in mainly old paraffin heaters.

Just wondering what you use for fuel, and if there are more competitive priced suppliers. cheers.

j.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
This is a handy link to keep in your favourites LINK, tells you all the fuel names in different countries in case you go travelling.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Great news. I can now go, and get Kerosene for 80p per litre, which is less than half the price of paraffin I used to get.
Thank you for your information and feedback. Much appreciated. cheers.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
yep it is. :)
I think I spent about £100 for paraffin for last 2 months from local hardware store at about £1.79 per litre.
I thought, no this is not the way to go here, and started phoning around oil whole sale places for better prices.
Hope you will find good supplier near you. cheers.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I miss the days when they had kerosene (paraffin) on pump like gasoline (petrol) at the stations for around $2.50 per gallon (if corrected for today's inflation)

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Have been getting kerosene for 80p per litre from the heating oil depo pumps, and it seems working great. Slightly more smelly and sooty when starting for 4-5minutes, but once it gets hot and going, no real difference in sheds and garden use. Great saving.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Kerosene for heating oil is yellow because a pigment is added in case it accidentally ends up in a diesel engine. The pigment stains the exhaust smoke. Heating oil seems to smell more than lamp oil.

When I was stationed in England, we used to burn JP-8 (jet fuel that's essentially a mix of kerosene) in the diesel vehicles. Since then, all Air Force vericles are diesel powered for that very reason, so we can simplify logistics when deployed.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When I was stationed in England, we used to burn JP-8 (jet fuel that's essentially a mix of kerosene) in the diesel vehicles. Since then, all Air Force vericles are diesel powered for that very reason, so we can simplify logistics when deployed.

And JP5 will work in many stoves and lanterns. JP5 is more stove/lantern tolerant I was told by and American chum stationed over here about five years ago. Heating oil works fine and if the stove or lantern is clean you won't get a lot of smell. You can buy paraffin deodorant or just add a couple of drops of the wife's perfume or your aftershave to the tank.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Rik. I think I meant JP-5 TBH. JP-8 is just a slightly different mix . It's been too many years since I worked the flightline.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE