Paraffin heater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
As the family is just about to embark on a glamping trip and swmbo is always cold, I started to think of ways to heat the bell tent.

We had a 4m tent and a frontier stove, with flu etc but I sold he entire thing to my sister when upgrading to a 5m earlier this year and haven't bought a new stove yet. I've had my eye on a kp stoves wood burner but just haven't got around to getting one yet so after watching a vid on YouTube of a guy using a greenhouse paraffin heater in his winter tent I started to do a bit of a search.

I managed to get a 1970's indoor heater from the bay for £30 and it was delivered today, gave it a bit of a clean up and filled it up/fired it up.

I've had it going in the kitchen for a few hours and I'm mightily impressed, had the window open slightly and it's toasty, also there's hardly any smell of paraffin at all. It's intended use is as an indoor heater so I guess that's why, the instructions state you have to adjust the wick so that it burns blue, any sign of a yellow flame you have to turn it down or give the wick some maintenance.
e3u3a6uj.jpg

It takes 4-5 litres of paraffin which will burn for 16-25 hours according to the instructions giving off 1.7 - 2.7KW of heat. It says you can even unscrew the top cap to reveal a burner ring for boiling a kettle. Should be enough to take the chill out of a 5m tent I'm hoping. Anyone else use a heater like this?

y4yzena3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have one, just need to find some wicks for it, where did you find some for yours?

Usual think applies though with using these, adequate ventilation or risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, so get an alarm just in case.

If you flip the lid it can also be used to boil you kettle on, or at least get it warm to save time for when you bring to the boil.

I have used one of these to great effect, -4 outside, inside shelter it reached 21 degrees

$(KGrHqF,!k8FHQwpchTzBR6p)NElcw~~60_1.JPG

Last edited:

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
The wick on mine was in good condition but I've seen some new ones on eBay. Is your a Valor model, can't make out the detail on the badge?

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
The little one is, I picked it up for a tenner about 10 years ago, it was a Picnic stove back in the 40's/50's I guess, costing all of 10/- back then.

I also have the same model you have, just need to find a new wick and I can use it in my "Manshed"

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
OMG...i've not seen one of those for donkeys!!!!!

There was a local hardware shop that closed down two months ago, he had the biggest range of wicks I have ever seen...the shops empty now, I would love to know where he got rid of the stock that was left over. The shop had been trading since 1912.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE