Paradox of the Archer's Paradox

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lets have a stab at this. I may be wrong as i have always just taken this for granted but to piece it together..

When you let go of the string the energy is transferred from the string to the arrow. Now, the arrow point is not immediately aware of this and does not immediately move, instead the arrow tries to store this energy by flexing/compressing, this is is going to take the path of least resistance so its going to bow slightly away from the bow. The alternative is it goes this other way and moves the bow over, not going to happen given the weight of the bow and the fact your holding it.

When the arrow is then in flight it will snake all the way to the target.

Any clearer or have i missed the point?

If you're wrong then both of us are. that's the way i understand it also.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
To prove the paradox effect either way, you need to shoot some weak-spine'd arrows and some over-spine'd arrows.
You can see the weak ones bending around the bow and the stiffer ones will definitely shoot off to the side.

You might have to make a few weak arrows though as if they shatter on release, you be smashing someone else's set.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
To prove the paradox effect either way, you need to shoot some weak-spine'd arrows and some over-spine'd arrows.
You can see the weak ones bending around the bow and the stiffer ones will definitely shoot off to the side.

You might have to make a few weak arrows though as if they shatter on release, you be smashing someone else's set.

ATB

Ogri the trog

I would vote against shooting low spine arrows with a heavy bow.
I have a nasty picture somewhere of some dude with part of an arrow through his hand because it broke while shooting. :eek:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Can you shatter a low spine arrow through using a heavy bow? I have known arrows split on the grain which is why one makes an arrow with the points of the grain pointing towards the knock to avoid piercing the hand but never just break because of mismatch between spine and bow weight. I use cheap practice arrows for our Have a go archery and shoot them sometimes from my 70lb longbow without any breaking. Accuracy isn't good though compared to using heavy ash arrows.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Can you shatter a low spine arrow through using a heavy bow?

Yes if you are unlucky. Lighter arrows can simply not take the force put into them from the bow. The grain of the arrow shaft should run perfectly top to bottom if using good quality shafts. The best safest direction of grain for the archer would be across the length of the arrow but it would not make for a very good arrow.

You tend to find "cheap" arrows are very heavy spined so will take a lot of abuse.
Match the lightest arrow to your bow with the perfect spine and it will not only hit more often but will be much better in terms flat trajectory.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Show evidence of a low spine arrow shattering. After all isn't the point of low spine that it is more flexible thus can bend more before "shattering".

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Seen that video but what was the weight of the bow and was the arrow defective? One would need to see a series of arrow breaking in the same way with the same spine for it to be anywhere near conclusive.

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I shoot everything left handed. Firearms, archery, sports etc.

With a bow I have noticed two distinct things happen each and every time.

1)steel goes into target
2)target goes into pot

beyond that I can offer little clarification on left hand shooting.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I like to think I know what I'm doing with (modern) traditional archery, I tune all my bows bareshaft and have spent a lot of time trying to understand the whole tuning process and I though I had it.

Until I read this thread, that is!!:lmao:

As was said very early in the thread, its simply mirrored....... paradox is paradox, the best barebow archer I know and have shot with is a lefty!

Spines are not so cut and dried, overall arrow weight is. As far as being good or bad for the bow, I have several bows all between 45-50lb @ 28" and the arrows I have tuned range from (CX) 350's w/200+gr up front to 150's w/100gr points but are all over the 9gr per inch or 5gr/pound using carbons.

I gave up on wheelie bows as it all got too confusing and too much to go wrong, stick and string is supposed to be easy!:)

Llwyd

Forager
Jan 6, 2013
Eastern Canada
I am glad to see the laws of physics are the same in British Columbia as they are here in the east. When I lived in Fort St. John lots of mule deer went in the freezer thanks to left handed archers.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
"tis my first year as an ex-pat and will be my first hunting season come september!

Trail cams are out, broadheads & skills sharp, binoculars are constant companion & Moose, Muleys et al are all on the radar........... It won't be from lack of effort if the freezer goes unfilled!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Now seen extended version has more information.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KGWC0PB6s

Seems that the arrow that broke was sort of trapped by the cut away hand grip and arrow rest. A series of that spine still needs to be shot and break for it to be real evidence.

So you don't think it's possible to break a very thin shaft by sticking 90lbs of energy through it?
I really tried with this thread but I give up.
Happy hunting marcel

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
What 90lbs of energy? Not denying possibility just asking for evidence. After all a tornado can drive a straw through wood so perhaps it depends on the initial acceleration and the inertia of the arrow as well as any spine and the shape of handgrip.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What 90lbs of energy? Not denying possibility just asking for evidence. After all a tornado can drive a straw through wood so perhaps it depends on the initial acceleration and the inertia of the arrow as well as any spine and the shape of handgrip.

Boatman, you just answered your own question. A tornado would pluck debris up as its approaching energy was sufficient to move the object and the accelerate it as moves it within its vortex. A Bow accelerates the arrow much quicker and from a single point of contact rather than an envelope of air. Think of it this way, if I was to hit you with 90lbs of pressure with a large fluffy pillow you'd feel it over a large area and be OK. If I were to Ippon nukite (one finger strike) you with the same pressure you'd go down like a sack of tatties (that's not in Gaelic by the way).;)

ATB,

GB.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE