Paracord tangke free storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
Just wondering what your favourite method of paracord storage is? (sorry, couldn't work out which forum this was best suited to)

I like quick release, like this 100ft doughnut I made, which works great, but boy does it take a while to do.
IMAG0170_zpsbevvehtq.jpg

So what is the most convenient way in your experiences?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Shorter lengths I figure 8 on my hand and wrap. But I do keep the full 100m reel in my bag
Nice job though :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Shorter lengths I figure 8 on my hand and wrap. But I do keep the full 100m reel in my bag
Nice job though :)

+1 Do exactly the same.

The bag I carry my tarp and hammock in has 3 pockets on the front with different lengths in for putting up ridge lines and pegging out the tarp... the reel in a side pocket of another bag, then my main rucksack has carabiners hooked on the outside for using with the paracord.

Very smart way of carrying, but I bet it does take a while to do.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I've 4 of them in 30ft lengths and one other at 50ft. Don't want to go too small as no idea what length I'll really need.

I have a lot of experience with 10m network cables and I've just never had a good experience with figure of 8 and wrap. Not sure if it's the size of them that was the problem (elbow to thumb).

I like the idea of this as I can just hook up the caribiner to a small branch etc and walk.

While alternating between watching the tv, drinking beer and chatting to the partner, it takes about 15 minutes to do a 25ft one and 40 minutes to do 100ft.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I have a lot of experience with 10m network cables and I've just never had a good experience with figure of 8 and wrap. Not sure if it's the size of them that was the problem (elbow to thumb). ...

Network cables are twisted pair, paracord is braided outer - totally different animals.

I rarely carry long lengths of cord, mostly a few bits about five to eight metres, ten metres probably at most. I can always join a couple of lengths with a Carrick bend if I need longer.

If they aren't left attached to something like a tarp, to stow them I generally fold them double (so they don't take a twist when unstowing) then coil or fold again depending on the length until I have a hank about a foot or so long.
Then I tie a loose figure of eight in it and throw it in one of those draw-string bags I mentioned. :)

For longer lenghs I fold double once, then coil over hand and elbow (like mum did with the washing line), and finally put a gasket hitch over the coil.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Figure 8 turns, placed over two pins or sticks.......BUT...the best way to ensure that the turns will all run free easily, is to ensure that the bights of the successive turns are taken so that they overlap the previous those of the previous fig 8. When finished to whatever length, just take a constrictor with the remain of the working end you've been turning up. The drawing-out, or user-end, is that which was laid down at the beginning. As the cord is consumed, just ratchet up the constrictor a little more.

It is the accepted way of bundling up the large amounts of cordage, when applying a tight "serving", around a wire or rope, and makes the task into one man job, there being little need for a helper to pass over the ball of Marline at every turn of the Mallet. The whole fig 8 bundle, being free to run under the slight tension of the constrictor, just needs flicking over the wire, at each pass. Easy peasy, have done many hundreds of yards of serving,thus.

Ceeg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE