paracord critique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
add a magnetic effect to the cord where it will attract drunken teenagers so therefore will snag on Pine bark.
I tend to find that any piece of cord holding up anything important (tarp, hammock ect) will attract teenagers (alcohol levels unknown) who will invariably untie said peice of cord. especialy if you happen to be in/under said hammock/tarp at the time.

On a more serious note, I use paracord for most jobs, as unlike the green hairy string (and it's relitives) it is re-useable, but unlike the other fairly cost effective alternative, blue polypropalene rope, it is not absolutely impossible to untie if it has been under strain, nor does it look absolutely awful after a few days in the mud. I no longer use paracord for my hammock main lines, after one snapped on me.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Wayland: why the desire to know the exact breaking weight of the cord? it's not like you're going to weigh 550lbs of "something" out in the wilderness to see if the cord will take it. Such seriousness from a man in fancy dress :p

A simple attempt to get this thread back on topic despite some peoples efforts to the contrary.

I'm starting to get fed up of people who just want to derail every thread that they don't think has any value.

I've seen more grown up behaviour from the kids I work with.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
''The stuff on the bottom of that image certainly isnt the US Spec 550 paracord! I've never had any get that manky, unless its been thrashed to within an inch of its life with repeated bowdrill use, is your image of the British issue stuff?''

I thought the same thing, then read the post again and realised the list was from the bottom up, so that is comm cord and the paracord is at the top of the picture.

Well done Steve, at least somebody is paying attention! the furry stuff is straight off the reel, it is basically gardeners string but is very strong for what it is. It is used for the repair of older cam nets that were made with the same string, and for a hundred and one other uses. Comms cord is one of the uses, not all QM's will order in fine purlon for comms cord use alone!

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
nobody's mentioned the mors kochanski recommended limited edition hi vis white 1 core strand 2.5mm ultimate survival cord yet - only £92 a length :)

funny about strengths and knots I used 72 inch army bootlaces for a lot of bashas to great effect.

toddy - the string you eventually got looks like purlon/polyprop so should do fine, certainly compared to what you got last time.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I bought a roll of comms cord from somewhere, Solider of Fortune (!), I think. It looked definitely like the small purlon Spam's shown. I think "string, green, hairy" properly describes the bottom string.

I've also found a preference for US paracord, mainly because the outer sleeve seems very tough and hard wearing. I'm not sure if I've had genuine British cord to compare it to, but the cheap cord available everywhere certainly has more of a tendency to catch on thorns and such and snag, pulling bits of the outer case out.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
A paracord thread causing an argument :D Although not as heated as I feared it would get. Can those that just want to stir and wind other people up by making pointless comments of sarcasm please stop (Aaron, you in particular spring to mind here) and those that are interested in the conversation topic carry on. I'm sure this would be appreciated by all.

I think that to a point most professionally manufactured paracords will do a good job, there's just lots of fake and substandard cord being sold as the real thing and this is the biggest issue. I've handled some dire cord that was called paracord and it's nothing compared to the US Mil spec stuff i've got hold of.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
With regards your query no, but I'd be interested to know if 550 paracord actually does have a breaking strain of 550lbs

How would we go about devising that test though Toddy?

He he, I could jump on it :D

It would be good to see how strong it actually is, in theory it would be stronger than the 550lb to allow the safety margin on the manufacturing etc.

Toddy also raises a good point on how much it catches, generally (except for when you want it to) the cord that slides through the leaf litter and around the trunk of a tree smoothly is much easier and nicer to use.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It would be good to see how strong it actually is, in theory it would be stronger than the 550lb to allow the safety margin on the manufacturing etc.

That's what I was thinking because the usual specification for things like this is they must not break when subjected to the desginated weight. So to make sure it stands up to that manufacturers always over engineer to give themselves a good safety margin

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
The static load test number, in this case 550lb is the actual [average] “breaking strength” of the cord when tested in laboratory conditions. It is not its working strength, nor the "safe working load". It is the average breaking load, when tested, of the cord. The military spec, are quite high and they demand something like 98% of the cords they test to meet the specification.
The working load, is, as I have already posted, something like 10% to 20% of the “static load strength”, providing all the ideal conditions are met, No knots or even load application, no wear and tear, no excessive exposure to weather, or sunlight.

So given the numbers
Say 20% of 550lb = 110lb [pound force] applied gently, providing there are no knots.
Add a single knot correctly tied (a bowline say) and you reduce the safe working load by another 30% to 60% lets call it 45%
45% of 110lb = 49.5lb [pounds force]
This is of course assuming that you are using the cord perfectly vertically or perfectly horizontally.
I’m not saying that 550 paracord will break if you apply 50lb of weight/force to it, I’m just pointing out that 550lb is what the cord will take under ideal laboratory conditions. Not what it will take in the real world.

Gailainne

Life Member
Gailainne: If you cut the webbing to a few feet and tie loops in the end the racing dyneema won't shred the tree mate.

The dyneema is only used as a ridge line for my tarp, for my hammock I use the webbing from my HH until I make some up, and use a biner to connect to my rope, pulley thingy.

As to answering Toddy about fraying, I havent used this system long enough to tell, but it will be something I'll be keeping an eye on.

Stephen

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ah it all makes sense now, I was blinded by the convention of listing items from the top down.

My bad Stuart, I wrote the thread out and then realised I had started from the bottom to the top. i was too lazy to re-write it! Just making sure I keep you all on your toes! i didn't get home till gone 7 tonight so haven't tested the cordage. I'll get it done ASAP.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The 100m reel arrived this morning and I'm very pleased with it :D . Neatly woven, doesn't snag on the trees, OD colour and enough and more to do the parachute......recommend seller too, it arrived here in a couple of days :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

ads677

Sep 14, 2006
Hinckley
OK, so who knows which dealers supply the genuine stuff? Claims and counter claims seem to be made by different websites and prices vary hugely. Also, is paracord always 1/8", about 3mm, because I have seen it offered in different diameters (and therefore presumably NOT "550")!?

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Knock off the bickering folks or this thread gets locked. There's no need for it in a discussion about old rope.
Tomtom...I have noticed that you come onto this forum every few months or so, and it seems to me that you feel that you have to have a pop at someone, or close a thread every time you come on, because you have not been on to moderate for a while. I feel that you cannot cope with any banter, and that you must lay down the law in a Chinese style, every time you see anything that is amiss on this forum...
I was reading this thread and then started to laugh at Aarons remarks and the posts that followed. It filled me with laughter Tomtom. I saw the funny side...
Then you come on, as you usually do on a thread and threaten to close it because someone has stepped outside of the box...
I cannot understand you or your reasoning...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE