I need to source an army surplus type parachute canopy for
an event later this year. Where should I go? It doesn't need to
be usable as a parachute but will need to be intact to make a
big shelter. Help appreciated guys.
Cheers , Simon

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
If you can, try to get a cargo canopy rather than a personnel canopy. Cargo canopies are made of heavier material, and a lot stronger, but you may have to sew up a split or tear, because that's the usual reason why they're scrapped. They're generally bigger than personnel canopies, and usually white, with noticably thicker lines.

Alan

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ged, the minimum is £150 plus VAT so £180 in total. I'm having another woodburner off them for my daughters tent, good company.

I've got a pink army chute, not sure if its round or rectangular, not unpacked it yet.

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
If it's just for the one event and you'd rather borrow one there's one lying up here that's a free-for-all affair.
My folks live near Moreland and I doubt it'd be a problem for me to get it to you nearer the time while visiting them.
Once you're done you could drop it off at the cottage and it can lie in the coalshed 'till I'm down again.

Just a thought.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Ged, the minimum is £150 plus VAT so £180 in total. I'm having another woodburner off them for my daughters tent, good company.

I've got a pink army chute, not sure if its round or rectangular, not unpacked it yet.

Well there you are then, just pop a 'chute on your order and post it to plastic-ninja. That'll save him at least 25 quid. :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
just pop a 'chute on your order and post it to plastic-ninja. That'll save him at least 25 quid. :)

Plus the cost of untold repairs to the rips and tears they mention, which will cost more than a few quid to get sewn up if Plastic-Ninja doesnt have access to a sewing machine, whereas the others are guaranteed to have no rips or tears and have the cost of postage included in the price, they also have a cheaper one at £35.00, again, no rips or tears and including delivery.

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Just found out the transport costs on these things!!!!!!
Kep's eBay page looks like it might be good value particularly
if not needing repairs.
Thanks for all the input folks.
Simon

ged

Jul 16, 2009
Plus the cost of untold repairs to the rips and tears they mention, which will cost more than a few quid to get sewn up if Plastic-Ninja doesnt have access to a sewing machine, whereas the others are guaranteed to have no rips or tears and have the cost of postage included in the price, they also have a cheaper one at £35.00, again, no rips or tears and including delivery.

Good points all, but to be fair to GIS they were mostly in pretty good nick. The one I've used at a few meets does have some damage I've never bothered repairing it -- in fact I've thought about cutting more holes in it to let the smoke out. :campfire:

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Shame you are not a bit closer to me you could have borrowed mine. I bought one from the US on ebay about seven years ago from one of the surplus companies, cost me about £60 all in at the time from memory but may have been cheaper.
Only thing I still have to so is sort out some tubing to make a ring to help support the shape.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE