Parachute canopy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I've been going through thread after thread about parachutes being used as canopies/group shelters all evening and found some great information, including how to get it up in the air, get it evenly pegged out and enjoyed a lively debate about hole or no hole.

The one thing I couldn't find is how long they take to get up? I haven't got an overhanging branch big enough in the back garden to test it, so the first time I'm putting it up will be the first time I'm out and about. I don't want to get halfway through it and find its gone dark if that makes sense.

Also how is it for doing single-handed? Can it be done alone or am I going to need extra hands helping?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've only popped up a couple so more experienced bods will be able to help better.
As to time taken to put one up that'll depend on where you are and what you have to work with. Finding the correct place to errect it may be the longest part of the puzzle. Then surrounding vegitation, wind and preparedness will all affect it. Last time I helped put one up there were three of us, a good hanging point that had been used before so there were some pretty defined tie off points around. It took about half an hour with no particular rush or fuss. The weather was dry and still so that caused no problems.
Personally I'd say make a deliberate trip out with a mate out one morning with the intention of popping up your chute. Practice a few times then everything else that day is gravy.
Be good to hear how you get on and as the credo goes... Pics or it didn't happen :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
We used a parachute at a site and strung a line between two trees to hang it from. It took me about an hour to get it secured, working mainly on my own with a bit of trial and error for fixing points. That was with plenty of points, bungees, time and light.
Is there a chance of stringing it that way in your garden? or a local park, friends garden or school grounds you could give it a go in first for the practice and getting an idea for the height of the fixing points etc.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Half an hour to an hour doesn't sound too bad. I had visions of it taking hours and hours.

If I can find somewhere local I'll have a lash at getting it up... my wife was telling me I should drive over to Delamere, but I'm unsure whether that was to test out the parachute or just because she's sick of me going on about kit.

Will definitely be taking pictures. I'd take a video, but I get a little sweary if things go wrong... wouldn't make PG viewing lets put it that way.

Funnily enough my next question was going to be what approximate height should I be aiming to hang it? I guess that is going to depend on what trees are about, but what sort of height am I looking for?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Height would be pretty tree and fire spark dependant. :D
At least eight feet if you can but lower if weather is foul.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Unfortunately I can not add a photo as it appears I can only add from a url?
Shame as I wanted to post what a friend of mine has created when he teaches bushcraft to scouts and schools.
To summarise he uses two shoots supported by a chimney stack with the skirt supported by poles and finished off with camo to make the walls.
Really impressive.

Camp.jpg

Edit changed my membership so can now post pic

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That looks amazing! I'm not hiking all that gear into the woods though... I need to allow for the huge quantities of food needed... a chimney stack and all that camo netting would mean I'd need to take a donkey to carry the load. Defeats the object, as the donkey would need feeding, meaning less food for me.

Hoping fire sparks won't be an issue Goatboy... only intend making a small fire... just large enough to cook large amounts of said food.

From what I've read on the subject so far, the smoke is s'posed to help with the sparks as well.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've pitched a chute solo plenty of times and by using this method it never took more than 20 or 30 minutes even in blustery weather.

The advantage of pitching it by the method I linked to is you're not continually having to bang in pegs and you do away with trip hazards

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Already have Amazon fired up to order more paracord and a catapult :)

Its pics like the one's you've showed there that made me want a parachute in the first place... just looks to be an awesome workspace beneath to create stuff and generally hang out.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
It's not ideal but I managed to get a rope into the tree (no idea how I'll get it down again) and tied the other end to the washing line pole....

IMG_0445.jpg

Top of the chute is about 9ft off the ground, but its going to have to go a lot higher to be able to walk under it... ran out of places to tie to as well

Edit: Glad I didn't time it... it took ages just to get the rope up there!!!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
An idea I was toying with was to get three fencing rails of about 16 feet long and make a tripod for the middle - I say toying with, as I haven't actually found anywhere that I can't set mine up without suitable trees as yet.

Then make a "boundary line" that is any shape that you can tie the perimeter of the chute to.

Having a fire under it will create an up-draft that should keep it "inflated", but any gust of wind like we've been having recently will make for interesting times with any chute shelter.

ATB

Ogri the trog

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I tried a tripod stand I have, but it kept falling over.

My parachute has a heavy rubber ring near the top of it, but no hole in the top, so I think I may have hung it upside down. Should I cut a hole in the top of it, or is it okay to be hanging it upside down?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hmmm, not come across one with a rubber ring in it, I'd just try propping it up where the cords cross at the center, where you've put the karabiner. And again, personally, I'd do everything I could NOT to cut it - as it stands the seams will be as strong as they will ever be, cutting it will weaken it which might turn into a disaster if it catches another gust of wind!

Right way up or up-side-down, shouldn't really matter, so long as your tie-out points are accessible.

Ogri the trog

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is one thing it isn't short of... tie out points... must be 20+ of them, all with 15ft to 20ft of paracord attached. Even at the height I had it hung, its a huge working space underneath it... and very little loss of light.

If it is okay to hang it upside down, there is no need for me to hack at it or remove bits as the tip has a mesh of paracord that clips into the karabiner quite comfortably. You need some muscle to haul the thing up though!

Lovely bit of kit, very pleased with it.

Hiya. Been thinking of something similar... Where did you get your chute? Are the ones going on eBay for £50 any good in your opinion? So sick of this weather in Scotland this year that I want to create a big dry area to play under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've just looked out the invoice for mine ~ £55* delivered. No tears or damage (some minor repairs done during its service). It came from SES Ltd through ebay ~ checked and the price is still the same.

* £55 with all cords , roughly 7 meters apiece, attached. They also sell the same size 'chute with cords cut off for £50.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Hiya. Been thinking of something similar... Where did you get your chute? Are the ones going on eBay for £50 any good in your opinion? So sick of this weather in Scotland this year that I want to create a big dry area to play under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is a reserve parachute, cords intact and it was £33 if I remember correctly. I'm off to buy a bag for it this week as I'm hoping to give it its first test flight this weekend :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE