Para cord or webbing straps ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
Hi im thinking of replacing the Para cord attached to the corners of my Tarp with Webbing either 20 or 25mm wide stuff .

My thinking behind this is that the Para cord gets into a rats nest relatively easy and requires some patience when setting up ,however if i use the webbing it would be less likely to tangle .

Is there anyone who has tried such a thing and if/what where the advantages or disadvantages’ of doing so ?

Many thanks

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I agree that webbing is a bit much for guys and hanking the cord may be a better option. But, has anyone tried climbing tape for a ridge line and if so was it any good, too bulky, rubbish ???

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I use Ed Speer's "no tangle" guylines. Really stiff spectra line that doesn't easily tangle up. I'm sure any other stiff cord would do well. I've experimented with limp rope and line like builders twine.... never again!

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
Webbing is a bit of an overkill for guy lines I reckon, try and hank the paracord around your thumb and little finger like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3haE_tGy_N8

Thanks for this vid ,i never knew that however i have a massive bunble of cord i would never get round my hand as it would be far to big ,so i suppose i can use 2 uprights of a chair and still do the figure of 8 and still achive the same aim .

So webbings not the worst idea but a bit over kill ? in what sense ? strength or appearance ? I suppose it would be more visible and you would be less likely to trip over it.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I think the webbing would end up weighing more than the tarp. But if weight and bulk are less of an issue, not a bad idea.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thanks for this vid ,i never knew that however i have a massive bunble of cord i would never get round my hand as it would be far to big ,so i suppose i can use 2 uprights of a chair and still do the figure of 8 and still achive the same aim .

Are you trying to hank all of your cord in one bundle?

When I hank the cord on my tarp, each one stays attached to its respective corner and is about 6 meters long - each corner gets hanked and then rolled into the tarp before it gets stowed. Then when I want to deploy it again its all ready to go as it un-rolls, nothing could be simpler without a magicians wand!

ATB

Ogri the trog

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
not to mention the bulk and the weight i would have thought it wouldn't be so easy to adjust. Paracord / thick nylon cord works for me!

My corner guys are thick yellow guyline - I like the way I can see them in poor light, saves walking into them ;)

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
Sorry for the confusion but im talking about to issues here ,may be some pics would explain ,i have a large bundle of Cord which could do wiith a tidy up so when i come to take some from it i dont have to spend a age un-tangling it.

The other is as you say above ,i have cord from each anchor point on the tarp.

My thinking is to use a lightweight webbing (polypropylene Nonslip when wet to be exact ) ill upload some pics in a moment

IMOM

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Living the dream
here is the pic of the para cord and 20mm webbing there must be altleast 10mtrs of webbing and about 15mtrs of cord .Neither weigh alot.

Edit How do i upload a pic direct to this page ,I dont have photobucket or the like

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
how about making a tent type guyline with adjusters like this?
images

it would be less to tangle and far easier to pack away.

Another option, bungees, I have some (made at home) with adjusters so they'll go between fixtures from 2" to 10ft away!

using webbing straps of any size, should work just as well, but I don't see the real advantage. (And over the years I've tried everything! ;)) you'll stilll have to tie them and fold them up to store, and they'll take longer to dry if wet.

a final idea...if you really can't be bothered:rolleyes:.
use a natural garden twine when you leave just cut the strings and go! the twine will not stand out and will decompose quickly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE