Pampas Grass String

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I have found some pampas grass leaves and had an idea that it would make good string as its very fibrous. I have searched the craft and bushcraft sections of the forum but to no avail. Has this subject been covered?

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Hey Bravo4 thanks, I am aware of that technique although not practiced at it. The notes that you have kindly provided are far more in depth than my own. However I was thinking more along the lines of correct method of fiber extraction, perhaps I was a little vague originally.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Thanks, that was a good read. I will try splitting, pounding and retting for starters. One of those methods should get something usable at least.:) Thanks again.

Thats a great site going on there!

Bravo4

Nomad
Apr 14, 2009
New Mexico, USA
I was showing some co-workers how to twist up cordage using some gross nasty carpet strands from a gross nasty carpet at work. It was pretty funny but actually made some pretty strong cord. We often get customers(bicycle shop) who ask for a bit of string to tie down their trunk(bicycle sticking out) and I told my co-workers to offer up the nasty carpet cordage. We all had a good laugh and right then someone comes in and asks, "would you happen to have a piece of string I could use to tie down my trunk?" We all looked at the nasty cordage hanging on the wall and just lost it. The lady thought we were nuts which is probably the case. I had to leave the room but I don't think anyone had the guts to offer her our urban bushcrafted cordage.

Show us how you do with your pampas grass:)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Before you waste loads of time doing the different ways of refining your fibres, tie some of the fibres into an overhand knot and pull tight. If it cuts itself in half then the fibres are useless for tying knots. I found this with some fibres I got from some leaves The Ratbag gave me. I spent weeks retting and combing and got some really long, gorgeous looking fibres. I twisted one up into cordage, just a simple 2 ply thread and it was really strong. I tied it around something and it snapped so easily. It did the same with the cordage braided and laid up in 4 ply, etc cordages! All that time wasted!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE