Paleo diet research

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1 to what Tengu has said :D

People are the cooking ape omnivores.
Cereals are good food, but I suspect, that fertile crescent and places like the Fayum apart, they'd not really be all that common. What was (and is) common are other grass grains that we now only consider 'famine foods". Like pendulous sedge, wood millet and so on.

Another interesting read though :)
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...e&q=red deer equivalent to shellfish?&f=false

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The only diet proven by all scientific studies done iver the years to improve our wellbeing is the Mediterranean Diet.
The other diets only improve the inventors bank acccount.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Shhhh! I'm trying to prove to my wife that the only sensible diet for me is the "buffalo steak and venison roast diet". Any evidence, such as isotope ratio in teeth, wear patterns, health studies, plaque analysis, ethnographic data, etc isn't helping my case. And the heath studies are obviously flawed, or they would have agreed with my preferences!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If I'm reading that article correctly they're saying such grains probably showed up in human diets about 400 years earlier than previously thought? That really doesn't seem like much of a shift in thinking when we're talking about a period that and ended 10,000 years ago.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's one of those eternal discussion things. When did humans domesticate animals, plants, etc.? Where did they do it ? and were there multiple centres/cultures that did so? or was it a central thing and knowledge diseminated ?

Mind too that we're only finding the smallest traces of the past; most of it was organic and it decays/rots/is eaten :)
That's why archaeologists and other researchers have to think 'outside the box' and consider things like peat cores, varves and the geological record too.
A predominance of certain pollens within cores or varves that appear as a definite change, just for instance, might mean tree clearances and grain planting/crop production….within that area. Then define the area and culture within a date range. Tie it in with the date range to a wider area, see if there are commonalities that are statistically significant.

It's like a jigsaw with most of the pieces missing and those that survive have been soaked and dried, crumpled and buried.

Interesting though :)

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I think if we look on our cousins the apes and monkeys and see what they eat we can kind of see what we were eating.

The animals are very knowledgeable about what can be eaten and I imagine we were the same.
Seeds of grasses like protowheat must have been part of the diet, if it grew nearby.

It is us today that have a limited food spectrum.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I get a bit sceptical when someone tries to blur the line between rigorous academic research and selling a fad. We do nit know exactly what our forebears ate, but we are getting more data by doing research. Does this mean we should all ape ( yes, intentional) what we believe the did ?
Well, do you live their life ?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Darwin was very well aware of the concept of "artificial selection" as a means of creating or improving the qualities of crops and animals breeds.
The first step in this may have been transplantation = why walk miles to forage if you can pick out the best-of-the-best and plant those outside your cave?
Another concept is the importance of "multipurpose" as applied to both plants and animals.
The multipurpose plants in eastern North America were the birch tree and the maize variety which grew well under cool conditions.
Here on the west coast, the western red cedar prevailed. The sea provided food and mariculture of clams and oysters is still very widespread among coastal peoples.

Wheat: All the necessary accidental cross pollinations have been replicated.
What are they? 14 species in 3 groups from diploid to tetraploid to the hexaploid bread wheats.
To some extent, wheat also is a multipurpose plant as the straw has many uses.

Only the timing of adoption changes with archaeology. I enjoy seeing that frontier pushed back again and again.
I like the notion= we're not certain, likely as we just haven't found it yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE