Palaeo tech - with four pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
So, lovely people, I was due to have a weekend away at rough close but the weather and work conspired against me. Having set that time aside to do fun stuff I decided to make sure it wasn't a total waste so instead I made the following - a woven basket/bag and strap, a pair of moccasins, a strap for my soon to be finished Otzi back pack #2, and tightened the bindings on the handle of a napped knife - this involved chewing a lot of sinew, and a small basket for beads and other tiny items. It cheered me up no end. Ahh the pleasure of making... image.jpg, image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice indeed!
I would love to see more photos of the moccs and the stickweaving bits ... I must get my sticks out to make more stuff this winter.....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As they say up here, cool as mince. (No I never understood it either) but it's ment as a compliment. Really nice array of kit and skills, I'm impressed. You're a talented lady.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I've ordered some more string and I'm going to make the second Otzi pack strap, and a quiver! I'll post quiver pictures as I do it. I've come up with a way of using a drinks bottle and an elastic band as a 'loom' for long cylindrical baskets. And isn't stick weaving GREAT!

Moccasins took a moderate amount of leather - I'll take a picture of the pattern too. One of the key things is to make sure the grain of the leather will stretch horizontally not lengthwise so it takes more than you might think. This pair was made specific to my measurements but was surprisingly easy. This pair used artificial sinew but could use natural instead.

So, long version short, more pictures coming soon. I'm also making a sheeps wool mattress in a couple of weekends time, and there will be pictures to follow!

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Did I mention the mukluks? I'm going to make a pair over the winter once I've done my next assignment. Oh and some Neolithic clothes too.. All from recycled hide and fur.

I'm practising being talented!

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
This weekend's efforts - a jerkin, tunic and pair of boot liners all made from recycled skins and fur. Also made but not shown - a bag for my Neolithic fire kit! And a smaller one for the wash kit - soapwort, alum stone, hand made wooden comb, chammy towel and twig toothbrush. Those pictures coming soon...
image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 18

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Crackin' stuff! You're going to look like a female Otzi when you're done. Just stay away from the Alps. As long as you don't go.the whole hog and get Lymes disease, as he was the first known sufferer.
Really impressed with the kit.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Thank you kindly - with any luck tomorrow I'm making a fish trap! With the palaeotechnology society at Uni. I'm having my second teenage-hood, with nice people and without the angst! 🐝 And me and Otzi, we're like that, we are.

Palaeocory

Forager
I'm so excited! Everyone needs a good fish trap ;)

Wow, the tunic and jerkin look great. Do you have trousers to complete the whole set? I'd like to see the wooden comb too, that's a great project idea. Did it take you long?

I love a good twig toothbrush when camping. I never pack one anymore!

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
I've been trying stick weaving for the past couple of days, do you always do it with the weave that far down the sticks? I find it easier around 5cm from the tip. Also, do you think the length and width of the sticks makes much of a difference?

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I tend to do the weave up the sticks for ages from the bottom and then shove a load down, no fixed rule for me though. I Just work with what's comfortable. Length no, I don't think so, though too short is fiddly. Width yes, definitely. I've done three, five and seven, can't quite hold nine flat. I've tried with different size warps (the long lengths) and wefts ( the back and forward yarn) and weaving stick diameter, and you can have very different outcomes.

I'm thinking about finding a way to Hold eleven in a circle, like a very big knitting Nancy as they used to be called here, except weaving, not French knitting. If that was Greek to you ignore it. Not very interesting just an aside.

And the fish trap making was excellent, though I decided to make a horn of plenty instead as it's going on at least one bus and two trains! But at home - ha! There will be traps for fish - I've actually got two Maltese, a Cypriot, and Greek fish traps in the garden, and a lobster creel.

I'm going to make the trousers when I've done my essay, must write essay, must write essay! The comb was a faff but looks nice, and I have short hair! Yay. I'll take a picture of it. The comb, not the hair.

I've drafted a list of all the kit I think I'd need to live like a Stone Age dude (with a sainsburys) and I'm steadily making each thing.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm thinking about finding a way to Hold eleven in a circle, like a very big knitting Nancy as they used to be called here, except weaving, not French knitting. If that was Greek to you ignore it. Not very interesting just an aside.

At work - in the Craft section - the participants knit hats on just such a rig. The needles are held in a ring of wood with sockets for the base of the needle. When the needle is full , lift it out of the socket, push the weave down the weft, replace the needle and continue :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE