Pain killers for burns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I find that after cooling the burn with cold water, so long as the skin isn't broken application of Aloe gel is miraculous. It really eases the pain. I know you can't give anything as a first aider, but for yourself or your own family it is reallly good.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I heard a long time ago about getting a burn in cold water within 10 secs was key, and if you can manage it in under 3 seconds, a minor burn will almost dissapear.
It has worked for me, although I have injured myself swan diving for the water.
I have also fallen in the lake when cooling a burn on a fishing session.

How many folk did you knock over in your rush to the sink? :D

Class.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've used those burns plasters with alu or silver out 'n' about to great effect.

Once was a real cracker placing the palm on a beer keg fire bowl,the plaster really helped.

mikeybear

Forager
Feb 15, 2010
UK
I find that after cooling the burn with cold water, so long as the skin isn't broken application of Aloe gel is miraculous. It really eases the pain. I know you can't give anything as a first aider, but for yourself or your own family it is reallly good.

I'm pretty sure my pocket first aid kit came with a little sachet of tea tree oil for burns . I've not tried it though, yet !!!!

onnen

Feb 18, 2009
south Wales
After quite a nasty burn as a youngster(some one threw a container containing petrol on the fire I was by, which flaired up burning my hand and melting my track suit)
my tough old Nan said to hold it in front of the fire,to make sure I had learned my lesson.Then she grated a potato and applied it to the burn. Not sure how well it worked but the scar after 35 years has started to fade.
ps ; I did learn my lesson.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When I was scalded my Mother phoned the Doctor to ask for advice on how best to deal with it.
He said to soak clean linen teatowels in cold milk(and we only had one kind back then, full fat, cream floating on the top stuff) and wrap them over the burns like bandages.
They had to be replaced every three hours and clean dry ones put on before I went to bed. This was done for a week.
The skin sloughed off, but although it didn't tan evenly for years, it isn't scarred.
It never seemed to have the same melanin (I'm a fair skinned, green eyed, freckled Scot with a fair bit of red in my dark brown hair, so there's not a lot anyway) and it went red and sore, but never really browned. I learned to keep out of the Sun.

Lots of advice coming through :cool:, but has anyone got anything agin or for the original question ?

cheers,
Toddy

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
The main reason you cannot get the drugs mentioned in the OP is due to restrictions in their supply and the risk of people misusing them, you can however, get prescription drugs if you approach a DR and convince him that you will need them or you are going to be operating in an area where medical care would be delayed.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I second the Aloe Vera gel that's been recommended.

I had a stage explosive go off about 1 foot from my face and burnt half of it (looked like the Phantom of the Opera!)

An inital 30 minutes in a sink of cold water (breathing through a straw!) and then regular Aloe Vera and it sorted within 5 days. Fantastic stuff.

The Gel is very cool and soothing too

Snozz

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Aye - the poor lad caught his finger tips if I recall. easily the worst place for a burn with all those nerve endings.

as you can tell I have done the exact same thing - I have accidentally touched the wrong end when smithing in the past and lost my finger prints for a while as a result.

immediately putting them in/under running water is the best plan. I was once told of a chap who cast his own lead models and spilt some on his hands - he sat with the hand under a tap for 3 hours and it supposedly didn't even blister.

those silver plasters could be a good plan.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I second the Aloe Vera gel that's been recommended.

I had a stage explosive go off about 1 foot from my face and burnt half of it (looked like the Phantom of the Opera!)

An inital 30 minutes in a sink of cold water (breathing through a straw!) and then regular Aloe Vera and it sorted within 5 days. Fantastic stuff.

The Gel is very cool and soothing too

Snozz

blimey that's no fun! :eek: I hope you have recovered ok?

I didn't realise aloe vera was quite that effective. - might get some and keep it for future use.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lots of advice coming through :cool:, but has anyone got anything agin or for the original question ?

cheers,
Toddy

I should have been clearer in my post Mary sorry. Watergel burn treatment in fact contains 2% Lidocaine :)

It really does soothe the pain too

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D
Thanks for that BR :cool:

It just seemed so short sighted not to have 'something' that would stop the pain of small red burns like those. Not enough to need a bandage even, just nippy sore ones.

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It comes in sachets as well as a variety of bottles too. I find the sachets very "IFAK Friendly" whereas I keep a "we cook on a wood fired Esse" sized bottle at home :eek: :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have the official group first aid kit but sometimes extras like this in personal ones can be a very good thing.

Incidentally if anyone I'm likely to see anytime soon wants some Aloe vera plants, let me know. Mine have gone nuclear again :sigh:

I'm pleased things grow for me, but they don't half get out of hand sometimes. Son2's commenting that the bathroom and kitchen are looking decidely jungle like again :rolleyes:
When he starts calling the hanging ones Audrey, I know it's time for a redd out.

cheers,
M

ParaWill

Oct 14, 2009
York
Unfortunately knowledge is a dangerous thing and with it people think they can push the boundaries before going to A&E, the guide is anything palm size or anything you believe to be more than the outer layers of skin. If in doubt seek professional help. The 50p guide is a bit excessive to be honest, otherwise chefs and fabricators would fill the local hospital.

Does the palm rule not apply only to partial thickness burns? Otherwise I'd be hospitalised every time I received superficial burns over my arms - sunburn...

And I seem to remember the 50p being for full thickness burns, although any full thickness burn needs to be treated in A&E regardless of it's size.

Will

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE