Paid off !!!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Register with the Jobcentre and jump through their hoops because, if nothing else, they will continue paying your 'stamp' (NICs).

Use their jobseeking facilty; http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk and any others; Reeds, Fish4jobs etc. You'll soon find out which suit you best.

Keep an eye out when you're round town for job opportunities- often a discreet card in a shop or office window.

Bear in mind that all prejudices (ageism, racism, sexism etc.)are illegal but are actively practised by many prospective employers.

Keep smiling and don't be afraid to ask if you need someone to talk to.

Last edited:

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Stuart,

sorry to hear your news. On the plus side you are a man of many talents and skills and I'm sure with these and your extensive patter it wont be long till someone offers you a job. Ever thought about teaching...

Cheers

JFW

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Bad luck mate. Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago, but having been self-employed for 20 years and happily married to a hard-working woman, I get absolutely nothing in terms of State assistance. Broke system, and only the wasters get money thrown at them by it.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Learn what the SOC codes are for the areas of work you're looking for, it can speed up your jobsearch no end:
http://www.theia.org.uk/NR/rdonlyre...ecification2008_09Appendix_lsp25Jan2008v1.pdf

Stand your ground, the jobcentre don't give a damn about anyone, they only care about getting you off their books. A thing to bare in mind here is that if they send you on a course or to a third-party provider, you are no longer classed as unemploted but as "in education/training" and so are off their books.

Another thing to bare in mind is Data Protection, unless you have given them explicit permission, they CAN NOT and should not, pass your details to training providers so be very careful what you sign, if you're unemployed long enough, they will try and put you on what is called "The Work Programme", if they do this (and you haven't signed a form giving permission for them to pass your details on) then they are breaking the law and you have perfect grounds to refuse the work programme, now, they will threaten you with sanctions and say your benefit will be affected but providing you are sticking to your jobsearch agreement (x amount of jobs a week) they legally can't stop your benefit.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My misses finished up yesterday(redundancy) with good and bad news,good in that she starts again in 3 weeks bad in that her next location is 9 hrs drive away,so not great for family life and the 3 young un's missing there mum.

Good luck for the future Stuart.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Good luck with the job hunting, as has been said its a job in itself.

When dealing with the D.W.P keep "all" correspondence they send you. You may need it to refer back to as they are notorious for mucking up/making mistakes that will cost you benefits that they don't always back date.

And pray, and pray some more that they don't send you to A4e - they're a blooming nightmare.

All the best Stuart.

Liam

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
When dealing with the D.W.P keep "all" correspondence they send you. You may need it to refer back to as they are notorious for mucking up/making mistakes that will cost you benefits that they don't always back date.

+1 on that

And ask for all decisions in writing. The amount of hassle I have had because I've taken "someone over the counter's" word for it you wouldn't believe.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Redundancy can turn out to be a blessing in disguise. Hope that is the case for you :)

Absolutely right. Could well be more opportunity than threat, especially for someone as capable and resourceful as yourself.

Often seen interesting jobs with Scottish national heritage http://www.snhjobs.co.uk/ but not much on there just now. I think you can register to be informed if something comes up.

Best of luck Stuart.

Don't suppose a reference from a GP would be much use to you, but happy to do so if you need it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE