Paddling on the James River (Some Pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Mrs. M and I had previously planned a day of paddling on the James River during the Labor Day weekend. We chose a favorite location for our river play date, the James River State Park. This float trip was a chance to brush up on our technique and take our time for a leisurely morning on the water. I caught a few fish, two smallmouth bass and three sunfish, but mostly spent my time checking things out. My pictures are not the best quality but here are a handful of the trip.

Our kayaks "car topped" and ready to head for the river. The Old Town Discovery canoe on the rack sittting this one out.
DSCN2193.jpg

Once at the put in ramp, we had to wait in line for our turn to launch.
DSCN2195.jpg

Our day trip load out. Our kayaks are 12.5 ft. Perception Acadias.
DSCN2196.jpg

A happy river explorer anticipating the coming float.
DSCN2200.jpg

Mrs. M's water sports mascot "Pattie the Platy".
DSCN2201.jpg

A friendly Mrs. M.
DSCN2203.jpg

We chose to go into the quite side of a small island in the river and was rewarded with a view of an Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias).
DSCN2210.jpg

River view #1.
DSCN2215.jpg

River view #2.
DSCN2217.jpg

River view #3.
DSCN2220.jpg

River view #4.
DSCN2222.jpg

River view #5.
DSCN2226.jpg

River view #6.
DSCN1306.jpg

Our picnic, after the float.
DSCN2234.jpg

Thanks for lookin'.

Gordy

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for sharing Gordon, i'm waiting for my first canoe(for a long time)to be made, then i can get out & splash about.

Rob

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice, thanks for sharing Gordy

I always enjoy seeing other folks playgrounds, no matter where they are in the world

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE