Paddling around portland basin canals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Its addictive this blogg thingy isn’t it. Moving on ……..
It was singeblister’s first paddle out in his new apache canoe and our second. After running the rapids on Sunday we fancied something a little simpler. So we opted for a paddle around the canals near potrtland basin.

John in his canoe for the first time……. “is it supposed to wobble like this” :eek:
paddling&

Off we set paddling down the canal nice and easy. I attempted to take the obligatory picky.
P3090005.jpg

By now John was getting into the swing of things and we couldn’t get the grin off his face all day. :D
P3090014.jpg

Or ours to be honest. :D The sun was shining and it was a refreshing change after Sunday.
P3090010.jpg

Paddled past a sunken boat
P3090011.jpg

And under a few little bridges before passing the entrance to the Portland basin. Which to be honest didn’t look to inviting with all the litter floating about in the entrance :rant: . We pulled up for a brew and some food in the turning space opposite the museum.
P3090022.jpg

Before setting off to the Huddersfield canal system. This route took us under a few bridges and an asda superstore. The canal stank under asda’s but it made for some good piccys.
P3090029.jpg

P3090030.jpg

As we arrived at the lock we didn’t really fancy the portage (it was a lazy paddle after all) So we turned around and went back the way we had come and set off towards Manchester. We paddled up the canal for a couple of miles then pulled over for another brew.
On the return journey it was time for messing about and seeing what our new canoes could do and what we could get away with in them. Trying out all the different seating arrangements and paddling strokes we know ( not many at all :p ).
P3090042.jpg

On the way back we found TREASURE . John claimed salvage rights and snarfed it from our boat.
P3090055.jpg

When we arrived back at our start point it really was messing about time. Bumperboats
P3090061.jpg

Standing up…..why I don’t know but it seemed a good idea at the time.
P3090067.jpg

I had a go at gunnel hopping
P3090072.jpg

one foot
P3090073.jpg

two feet and standing.
P3090074.jpg

Alas as I stood up and raised my arms above my head Lin was messing about with the camera and missed it………typical.
Then I had a go at getting back in. Now as I had taken all the floatation out of the canoe to see what happens. I pretty much managed to sink it and nothing else.
P3090088.jpg

So I got it up off the bottom and tried to use my new bailer…..what a waste of time
P3090090.jpg

So I flipped the boat and got under
P3090081.jpg

And with a heave and a ho I jumped off the bottom and into my canoe.
P3090091.jpg

It was a great day and I learned loads about how my canoe handles and I tried various ways of paddling and self “rescue” much to everybodys amusement. I now know how fast my canoe will sink without floatation and I have added a few things to my kit list for day trips. It was a very enjoyable day and a great paddle. Next time I go out I will be trying the same “rescue “but with floatation in place to see how much difference it makes. All in the interest of scientific interest I might add ………or just for the giggle.
Either way it will be good fun. I would rather know what is going to happen and how fast in a safe manageable place rather than leave it until something goes wrong and I have to find out the hard way.

Cheers for reading, Greg

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Looks like a crackin time, apart from the SPLASH! lol :lmao: superb performance.

Seriously though, looks like a great day, wish I had been there :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE