Paddling a birch bark canoe

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Just returned from the Maine Canoe Symposium. Among other things, a local museum sent a 20-foot birchbark canoe, and I got a chance to paddle it. (The fellow in the pic isn't me, but he's more photogenic.) Remarkably light, paddled very well, and it even smelled good. Not to mention that it's a work of art.

IMG_0772.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Raging envy makes me hate you!
I hope that is rain we see falling on the water - or huge mozzies hatching to attack!
That is the boat of my dreams....you lucky, lucky man!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'd love to try the real thing out. I bet the smell of them is amazing. I was promised I could try a friends bark canoe out a couple of years back. Turned out it was a fibreglass one that was painted for production use.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Now that is truly magnificent wow,something i have always wanted to do but doubt i will ever be lucky enough.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
It was practically a religious experience. Here's another pic just to rub it in.

BTW, one of the instructors there said that Brits tend to be better paddlers than Americans. When they decide to take up the sport, they tend to start with lessons. Americans, on the other hand, usually paddle for a decade or two before it occurs to them that lessons might be helpful, by which time they've thoroughly engrained bad habits.

IMG_0774.jpg

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Oh that is lovely. I am getting into canoing so definatly want to have a go at one of these. After seeing that show of Ray making one I know that I want one... just got to find the funds.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Amazingly good looking boat, but I think I'd be scared to paddle it in case I damaged it!!

BTW, one of the instructors there said that Brits tend to be better paddlers than Americans.

Becky Mason was over here recently and said a similar thing about Canadians and for the same reasons.

Cheers,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE