Paddle

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Started making a deepwater paddle back in march. That's it dried and finished bar the oil.

Took a log, planked it with wooden wedges, roughed it out then let it dry. Axed it down to size then went at it with the rasp for a while. Around then I steamed out a twist in the handle end that had been there from the first split, it's nice and straight now.
After sanding the final touch was to run a bead of epoxy/microfibre mix along the bottom edge. Now I just have to feed it oil and it should be ready to roll for next week.
On one of the pics there's another paddle that looks tiny in comparison. In reality it is(it's a wee river shovel) my usual long beavertail is probably right inbetween the two.

Paddle_01.jpg

Paddle_02.jpg
Paddle_03.jpg

Paddle_04.jpg
Paddle_05.jpg
Paddle_06.jpg
Paddle_07.jpg

Paddle_08.jpg

:)
Josh

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A cracking job there Josh, looks fantastic.

I'm proud to have seen the spot where it grew. I hope it gives you good service mate, you've obviously put a lot of time into it.

The placement of the knot looks very decorative too.

:notworthy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That looks pretty damn good mate, might have a wee blast with it at the weekend if you don't mind.

Why did we leave that camp, it looks so nice and peaceful in the piccies

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Cheers all.

Did take a while Pete, has to be said.
It was quick to get down to size, I reckon another four hours at camp would have seen it clunky but usable.
The finishing wasn't quick though. I kept saying "that'll do" then I'd have a wee break, come back to it and end up with the rasp in my hand again. Happened time after time.:rolleyes:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
There are issues. It's way too thin to push yourself off with and the last I seen it the blade had curved from sitting(or maybe drying - only had five coat of oil beforehand) in the sun.
It'll be fine. For all I know it's maybe even straightened itself out hanging in the shed. If not I'll likely sand it down(There's just enough left for another sanding), straighten it out then seal it with varnish.

Does the job though. Indian stroke is a joy. It'll take a while to get used to keeping the paddle in the water but should be worth it in the end. Tried the canadian stroke but suspect I was hitting the same problem as I have with longbows. My wrist doesn't comfortably bend back very far and I always felt like I was forcing the stroke using shoulder twist.
Spent a while spinning and huckling around. The extra length makes box and c strokes more efficient, sculling was easier than with any of my other paddles...
....had a couple of moments practicing the box stroke with it slipping sideways easier than I'm used to. Just around the part of the stroke where there's a danger of clipping the gunnal it would scoot sideways quicker than expected and throw me off balance a touch.

Amazing how different paddles can feel from each other.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE