Advice on carving a paddle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Google UBC/MOA. All the old paddles are one piece.
The wood was split, not sawn, to make a radial slab. The spine extends the entire length of the paddle.
Split that way keeps the shearing strength while the carving is really easy to do.

I think that there were 2 kinds of paddles here in the PacNW,
one for every day travels and another used on ceremonial occassions.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I made a moctogan knife from a spear and Jackson spade, in a tiny tin can forge. The steel is something else. When it was a spade you could bend that thing if it was levering between 2 heavy stones or something, and it would keep its shape and spring right back, plus some areas of the forging were thin, the thicker areas made one or 2 elbow adze blades
A mate of mine (now deceased) was an expert olympic standard kayaker. At school in 1975 or76 he made a 2 bladed kayak paddle with an ash handle and cedar blades, lanimated with cascamite glue

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'm not trying to belittle all this carving and so on but my brother with very little carpentry tools just had a go.
Started making paddles and says its really not that hard.
The materials are cheap and his results are pretty damn good.

He's a very practical bloke and sharp enough but the main thing he says is just give it a go.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Good stuff. Sometimes you've gotta just do the do rather than worrying about the waffle.

Back when I made a wooden paddleboard I wanted to make a wooden paddle as well. I've progressed too far past a wooden one being practical for my use (now use a lightweight carbon fibre one) but still plan to make one for the aesthetics. Probably won't be carved though - table saw to make some 'birds mouth' sections that will leave a hollow core.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE