packpal sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Some time ago, Bambodoggy asked me to make him a sheath for his packpal as although the kydex one is nice, clean and very functional, he wanted something a little more bushcrafty.

Anyway, I started on it last Monday night so here goes...

DSCF0001.JPG

First, I drew around the knife and firesteel, leaving room for screw-ups and also folded it all up to make sure it wasn't massive or too small... to fold it up I drenched it in warm water... this kept it moist (I love that word) for hours making it easy to work with.

DSCF0002.JPG

Once folded and roughly trimmed up, I ran around the places that were going to be stitched marking them out and denting the leather so the stitching would not stand up from the sheath and snag. It looks dark because it's still moist... hmmm... moist.

DSCF0003.JPG

After 24 hours it's all dry it goes back to it's normal light colour... at this point I used evo-stick impact glue to set it in its final position... it's a worrying stage as the glue is ****ard strong! I glued it without the knife or firesteel in place and it worked out, I guess you could cover the knife in a bag or something and leave it in if you were worried about the shape.

DSCF0004.JPG

Anyway, after 18 hours, the glue had properly gone off and during my lunch break, I gave it one more dose of water, sewed around it, sanded the bejesus out of it and oiled it when I got home.

DSCF0005.JPG

The oil is the stuff I have used for years on my horses saddles and riding gear, its a thin oil that darkens and protects it from water/dirt.

DSCF0006.JPG

It holds the knife and firesteel pretty snug and I'm fairly pleased with the way it looks... It is far from perfect and the stitching is a little wonky but thats what happens when you get someone like me making a sheath with a stanley knife, pencil and sewing needle!

DSCF0007.JPG

It did give me a chuffing big blister on my left hand though... I couldn't imagine doing this a lot!

DSCF0008.JPG

Anyway, I hope this may be of use to someone. all told, it was about 4 hours work. This was my second knife sheath ever so I'm sure these people that make loads could do it in about 45 minutes.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
You clever old stitcher that is something to be proud of. I would like something similar for my SOG Tigershark to make it more socially acceptable.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Nice job Joe - if you're worried about stitching you should see my attempts. I'm sure the old stumpgrinder will appreciate it....

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Great job Joe!!
And ... Now I finally do understand the lay out of that kind of sheath :rolleyes: :confused: It made me puzzle for weeks ... :eek: :eek:

The little hole you made in the stitching part, is that for a more comfortable baldrick style use (clever!)??

peppin72

Aug 3, 2005
Netherlands,Apeldoorn
That is one BEAUTIFUL sheath Squidders.

Very original design !!

I was also wandering about the hole in the stitching part.

If it is indeed for a baldrick style use,could you please explain what that means :confused:

All I could think of,is that it is for some kind of water drainage :rolleyes:

Another question :Is the firesteel positioned inbetween the belt and trousers,when it's worn on your belt?? If so,isn't that a little bit uncomfortable??

(Sorry, if that question sounds stupid)

Gr. Pepijn

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Really nice work Squidders :)

I thought i had covered most of the options for the PackPal sheath but i haven't made a neck sheath like that yet ,i must have a go as it looks really good
I think the kydex sheaths are superb but they do look a little "tactical" for my tastes and a leather sheath gives these little knives real character .
The second in from the left is my neck sheath but i was never happy with the design.

430_3012_1.jpg

I find it hard to make slots look neat ,do you have a punch or do you make 2 holes and cut between them ?

I like the finish ,what oil do you use and does it soften or harden the leather ? - i tried using Resoliene to waterproof the leather but it makes the sheath very stiff almost brittle so i am using polish at the moment but i think oil would give better protection.

If i could make one suggestion ,if you make the fire steel holder shorter than the steel it means you can attach a loop of para cord and use this to secure the firesteel which really helps as the steel starts to wear ,you can even keep the steel upside down if the tab is getting in the way.
422_2233_1.jpg

I never understood why the Woodlore neck sheath had such a long holder ?

Keep up the good work.

rb

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ahjno & peppin72: Yeah, the hole is for baldric style carry, I made the width of the leather a little wider to accomodate the hole.

rapidboy: Thanks for the compliment... I made the hole by punching the two round ends and then cutting carefully between them with a stanley knife.

I have no idea how it would sit on a belt and I personally wouldn't use the design for myself but it's what Bam asked for.

I did think about making the firesteel loop smaller but i'm torn between changing the lines of the sheath and allowing the loop over of the cord. At the end of the day I can always carefully cut it back and sand ot down to shorten it so I'm glad I went long rather than short to start with.

For the leather treatment I use something I've always used on my horse tack, it's an oil called hydrophane and it's really good... it darkens and protects the leather and I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, it's only my second knife sheath and my 3rd leather project over all so I have no illusions that my work will and can be better.

Joe

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Aaaahhhh...

Thanks, welt sounded medical for some reason. I stole the design from someone elses sheath to be honest but it seems to work quite well.

At the bottom of the sheath there's a hole to put some cord through, this, I assume is to stop the thing from flopping around when carried.

Cheers

Joe

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Squidders said:
Aaaahhhh...

Thanks, welt sounded medical for some reason. I stole the design from someone elses sheath to be honest but it seems to work quite well.

At the bottom of the sheath there's a hole to put some cord through, this, I assume is to stop the thing from flopping around when carried.

Cheers

Joe

My turn for Aaaahhhh....

Now I see it for what it is.

I have just seen several sheaths with a rivet there for some reason. I have never seen the point myself and have never used then on the handfull of sheaths I have made. So when I thought this one had one I just had to ask why. I do add 'leg strap' holes though, although I have never actually used them. I thing they are best suited to much longer knives.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
It's smashing isn't it!!!! And I'm the lucky boy who gets to keep it!!! :D :D :D

As Joe says it's only his second sheath (bless, he made his first for me too!!!! :) ) but I was so impressed with his first that I asked him for the second and I'm sooooooo pleased I did. Joe's put a lot of work into this sheath and I'm very very grateful to him for it. The Kydex sheath (horizontal carry option) is smashing too and I use it at work everyday as it is out of the way while using a chainsaw or hoping in and out of the 4x4 but I also wanted something a little more...bushcrafty to use in the woods when I'm not working.

What Joe modestly hasn't said is that I showed him a friend of ours sheath when we were camping the weekend before last and only for about two minutes, Joe then went home and made more or less the same sheath totally from memory! Stunning...I'd forget to breath if it wasn't uncomfortable! lol :D

I was supposed to pick it up this evening but have had to cancel so Joe's bringing it over on saturday and we're then off for a burn on the bikes.

Cheers Joe.....definately owe you a mead or two at the 1800's weekend :)

Bam. :D

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
clcuckow said:
I do add 'leg strap' holes though, although I have never actually used them. I thing they are best suited to much longer knives.

I'm the same Mate...I have a leg strap on my MoD knife sheath but don't and will never use it.
The hole on the sheath Joe's made me is so I can use it "baldrick" style rather than as a leg strap in the traditional way.

In answer to somebody's question further down about wearing it on a belt...this isn't a belt sheath so you're right it wouldn't be that comfy tucked inside your belt, however, I have seen this type of sheath worn on the belt by the Chief Instructor of Bearclaw Bushcraft by using paracord bound round the sheath to about 1.5" thick top to bottom and then again at 90degrees to the first wrap to create a very flexible belt loop that will twist to allow the knife to be worn at any angle which is good for getting in and out of transport or when on horse back.
It also means that if you have your knife then you always have cordage for firebows....they're smart these instructors you know! lol ;)

Cheers,

Bam.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
bambodoggy said:
I'm the same Mate...I have a leg strap on my MoD knife sheath but don't and will never use it.
The hole on the sheath Joe's made me is so I can use it "baldrick" style rather than as a leg strap in the traditional way.

In answer to somebody's question further down about wearing it on a belt...this isn't a belt sheath so you're right it wouldn't be that comfy tucked inside your belt, however, I have seen this type of sheath worn on the belt by the Chief Instructor of Bearclaw Bushcraft by using paracord bound round the sheath to about 1.5" thick top to bottom and then again at 90degrees to the first wrap to create a very flexible belt loop that will twist to allow the knife to be worn at any angle which is good for getting in and out of transport or when on horse back.
It also means that if you have your knife then you always have cordage for firebows....they're smart these instructors you know! lol ;)

Cheers,

Bam.

When I made my first sheath for my Felleskap (See BB if you don't know what one is) I added a D ring to the belt loop to attach a neck loop or a Baldrick.

FelleskapSheathBack.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE