Pack The Dog

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Without the trusty pack animal, things get pretty lonely (not to mention the birds that keep giving me the winger). Tsar has always been my companion on my extended trapline outings.

...But it gets old carrying around all of his supplies....
... he does it himself now.

After trying several different brands of dog packs some field use yeilded alot of complexities which limited not only the animal, but also the pack itself.
1. current dog packs rely on a lower center of gravity to avoid imbalance shifting.
2. dog packs limit the front legs movement of the animal by creating friction points on the elbow/shoulder area
3. They allow overstuffing beyond safe weight carrying ability of the animal (no more than 30% of the animals body weight)
4. items can shift inside of the packs which create a 'dead-weight' effect.
5. average brand-name pack weight was around .75 kg (~1 lb. 8 oz.)

so, with my trusty gingher scissors, some spectra thread, and a couple of yards of 1000 denier PVC coated ballistic and 200 dn ripstop, we set out to experiment with the ultimate pak dog paks.

With all the shortcomings of the aforementioned paks, we decided to create a pack which would balance itself, ride higher on the sides, have compression straps, weigh less, and be field repairable (i.e.- no zippers, velcro, glue, etc)

ts-01.jpg

A top down view of the packs. The top compression straps with arno/ladder-lock buckles allow the pack to be raised or lowered depending on the volume of objects within the carrying area. If improperly balanced, the buckles allow the pack's underside straps to tighten on the opposite side. As much as a 1/2 kg weight indifference will still keep the pack in the most comfortable position for the animal.

ts-02.jpg

The yellow material is 200 denier ripstop non-coated polyester. It's breathable, and quickly wicks moisture from the animal. The low denier also reduces friction with the animal's fur and "not-so-furry" area's. Because my dog also pulls sled (or pulka, rather), i left front straps closed on the pack to allow passthrough of the harness. The 1000 denier cordura is EXTREMELY abrasion resistant and water proof. For river a stream crossings, the bottom cordura seam has to button eyelet drain holes to allow excess water to drain.

ts-03.jpg

The fully loaded 'teardrop' design. Note the compression straps at the top allow rasing or lowering the sides to accomodate the rate of travel for the animal. We hike fast; and he easily doubles the amount of miles we cover in a day. All rounded edges on the pack reduces snagging (something commonly associated with squared off bags)

ts-04.jpg

The backside of the pack shows how slipcords and 'cord-nuts' replace the top entry versions of other packs.. with a rear entry version that eliminates zippers.. and more complicated sealing systems (velcro is nice.. but it wears out after repeated use) the lighter weight material stays supple even when wet and frozen.

ts-05.jpg

The pack unloaded and pulled up high. Total weight for the pack in this state comes to ~1/4 kg or 6 oz. There is nothing on the market which even comes close to this weight. Ideally, why should the animal carry the extra weight associated with overbuilt neoprene reinforced paks?

ts-06.jpg

Yeah! (he speaks)... this is lightweight! notice how the pack rides above the shoulders, stays close to the animal for better balance, and doesn't flop around?
If the pack is not fully loaded, the weight can be shifted to the front of the pack which places the weight over the shoulders of the animal instead of the senter of the back. This reduces stress and possible injury.

As for some other special touches
-all seams are bar tacked at the high stress areas, and the bar-tacks are coated with a friction reducing vinyl dip
-the yellow back suspension area has a breathable layer underneath a polyester fleece layer to keep warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
-the pack cinches are made from old recycled shoestrings
-entire pack cost (prototype 3): ~$18.00 USD
-total fabrication time:
prototype 1 - 4 hrs.
prototype 2 - 3.5 hrs.
prototype 3 - 3.5 hrs.
-total testing time: 1400+ hrs.

So, if you pack with a pet (these can be made for horses, mules, goats, and even chickens too!), take a few measurements, invest a small amount of cash... make the bushytailcraft pack for your critter.

I would be more than happy to send patterns, discuss idea's, and answer any questions.

Cheers
edispilff

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I'm envious, your dog has better kit than I do :eek: :eek:

I'm curious to know what was the heaviest load your dog was succesfuly able to carry and also for how long.

Great dog pack mate !

Cheers,

Feb 2, 2007
South London
Its a great idea your pack looks good.
My Tika has a pack and is happy to carry his own supplies when we are walking any distance. The only problems I have is making sure it all stays balanced as we use up water, by far the heaviest item in his bags.
So I use a couple of water bladders and try to even it out.

When I looked for advice on loads I was told that 25% body weight for an unexperienced dog and up to 40% for an experienced dog. By an experienced dog I assumed they were talking about a working dog carrying day in and day out.
Since Tika is over 45kg even at 25% thats a lot of food and water.
It doesnt seem to slow him down.

Im not as inventive as you.
I got hold of one made by OutwardHound, it has a seperate harness that the bags attach to by one clip and velcro. So its easy to unload for a rest without fiddling around with the straps. The only thing its short of is a handle on top to help him over obstacles. but at his weight Ive given up lifting him anyway.
Heres a pic of Tika with my daughter. We were wandering around the new forest for the day. So he was just carrying water and snacks.
Tika was about 1 year old here, hes a lot bigger now and the straps fit better.
49645544a08681da5b94b89857e88e57ffa9dff15359657efae78aba.jpg

bushman762

Forager
May 19, 2005
N.Ireland
Great looking packs! I'm getting a new pup in August (Dobermann) and would love a set of these! A little flotation could be put in, to help with the added weight when going on trips near water.

Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,

:)

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
bushman762- dobermans are great animals.. and can carry a decent amount... they are taller animals that may require a little extra consideration when packing his paks. Watch how he runs compared to other animals and it will give you better insite in how get it comfortable.
...and yes, flotation.. thought about that idea for people who pack with smaller dogs. They really can't carry anithing of nominal size, but the color and ability to keep the animal afloat would prevent drowning, and the possibility of being carried off by a larger predator.

GordonE- weight is something you'll best judge about the characteristics of your friend. Think about the proportion of weight that you carry on extended outings and apply that to your animal as well. I'm 185 lbs/89k. and carry a pack of no more than 45 lbs/21k.; i walk on 2 legs balancing the pack above 50% of my total height.
My dog weighs 65 lbs. carries a pack of 15 lbs., walks on 4 legs with 100% of the weight suspended in the center of his body above 90% of his height. Although he has a greater sense of balance dur to his height and stability, the location/contents/placement of the pack decreases his efficiency in a manner which causes the animal to use underdeveloped muscles.
In contrast, at 185 lbs., and can't even fathom (let alone justify) carrying a pack that weighed 40% of my body weight (80 lbs./39k!).
Tika looks like a really eager pet.. ready to get things done!... just one small observation though--- try to keep the packs further forward, and closer to the shoulder blades by cinching up the breast strap... It will reduce stress on the hips and backbone.

tsar-pack.jpg

Eric_M- He gets to carry his food and sometime some of my snacks.. If i'm far enough away from a line, we'll go fishing and pack the fish in the bags. On the trapline (depending on what's caught) some small game can be stuffed in there too (actually got 2 ptarmigan in there once.. the fun part was getting them out).

FredCraft- Yikes, longest distance carrying a load: ~2400 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail.
average weight on PCT: ~8 lbs.
average total carry time: ~90%
Most weight carry: ~20 lbs.
Average weekly carry weight during late fall/winter/spring: ~12 lbs.
Average weekly carry time during trap season: ~6 hrs. per day, ~4.5 days per week
He is a registered Samoyed Border Collie Cross:
- presently 14 yrs. old
- still carryies the goods
- sled and Pulka (skijoring) trained
- Search and rescue certification
- does not play with porcupines anymore :rolleyes:
.. and so much more.. i dated this woman for 6 yrs. to get this dog. She got all of my property, i got the friend. honestly, we came out on top ;)
Hope this helps in answering a few of the questions!

ttyl

edispilff

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Wow, much more resilient than I tought !

It still look like he's on top of things even tho he's 14 y.o. ! I wish to him a long life and many more happy years at your side !

Thanks for sharing :You_Rock_

Feb 2, 2007
South London
Thanks for the tip on moving the pack forward.
Now hes bigger it fits better and is further forward.
The straps were a bit long when he was younger.

Gordon

Feb 2, 2007
South London
Tika is a Utonagan, Its a british breed, bred to look like a north american grey wolf.
No wolf content as wolf blood is illegal in the UK. They originaly took German Shepard, Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malumute to get the rough idea then bred to get closer to the wolfie look.
Hes about 5th generation.
They seem to have managed to get the best from each breed into him.
http://www.utonagan.co.uk/ for more info.

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Judging from the gallery photos on their website, It can only be said that your friend is a model of the breed. It's interesting that the breeders tryed to emulate the wolf's physical movement as well.

Truly an animal that will make a great bushcraft dog. Curious about one thing though... Does the shepard breeding increase the chance for dysplasia in their hips after maturing?...

heh, and i just brushed, then washed, then brushed again today... unless you've owned northern breeds before, you're going to love the amount of hair they put out. Have a girlfriend in Canada that i shipped a winters worth of hair to.

She sent me back a picture of a sweater she made.

Said it's the most waterproof- unshrinkable- warmest sweater she's ever worn.

hmmm. Maybe we should introduce a new sub-forum based on fur spinning? :) :)

edispilff

Feb 2, 2007
South London
Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread.
If anyone else is interested in Tika and Utonagans, either pm me or Ill start a thread off topic.

Edilspiff, There is some risk of hip dysplasia but as there are still so few all Ute breeders have to have them scored before they can be bred. So far its been quite succesful and theres been a bit of hybrid vigour by mixing up the 3 breeds lines thats been a help.
He is a hairy beast but at 20 months we are still waiting for his coat to settle down. This time last year his puppy fluff was coming out in clumps. But so far this year its not been too bad but expecting a hair storm any time.

Gordon

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
Thanks all, If you choose to build your own packs, it doesn't matter the size of the dog. They carry their own supplies. and smaller dogs consume less than the larger breeds. some things to remember:
Measure your animal, watch how it moves, look at it's characteristics on the trail. All of these will factor in to how the pack will perform.
Also, Is you animal a trail animal (does it venture outside the bouds of your sight)?
Are there obstructions abound that will encumber or snag on the pet?
Assuming we all know our animals as well as we know ourselves, it suffice to say, You probably know whats best for you pet, but look a little closer every time and you'll see more and more characteristics which you'll find surprising!

Great idea GE... maybe with a poll at the start that let people vote for their favorite pack animal breed etc. then it can move into a subforum after that.

There are a couple of people in this region that pack with horses, mules, burros, llamas, dogs, goats, and even a gent that has a pack Emu (go figure...)

get one started, PM me and we'll keep it going!

edispilff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE