Oysters: What's Your Favorite?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
New Orleans recently had an oyster festival and posted the following pic on their FB page along with the question, "What's your favorite way to eat them?" ( Fried, Baked, Char-grilled, or raw?) My answer was, Fried of course, but there's no wrong way to eat them." What are y'all's thoughts?

12122426_932319423500904_2653805473302135884_n.jpg

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Love raw oysters with a little lemon juice. Native not pacific of course. Missed this years Falmouth Oyster Festival. A beefsteak pie with oysters is hard to beat, short crust not puff pastry of course.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Raw native oysters, 1 dozen of; Very thinly sliced wholemeal bread with best butter, 4 slices of; Guinness Original Dublin Stout, 1 pint bottle of, drunk from a proper stem beer glass.

For me, that's it and all about it :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've seen frozen raw ones. I suspect they aren't :)

I dearly love oysters, but that sounds vile even to me :yikes:

I have seen raw ones that weren't live; usually already shucked and packed in their own juices in the refrigerated section. Those are good, but only if cooked before eating. What I meant wqas that the only way I enjoy a eating an oyster while it's still raw is if it's still live (and thus still fresh)

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In Australia, I recall little oysters, maybe 2" across(?). In the half shell, couple shots of Worcestershire, teaspoon of bacon bits and under the broiler. Called "Oysters Kilpatrick?"

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice addition to a beef pie too. :p Do like a good oyster. Though when over for a festival in Ireland years ago the combination of fresh oysters, good Guiness and rather lovely redheaded local lasses was almost too much for me... Happy memories. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Either..
Raw/Live.
Raw/Live with lemon.
Grilled with Garlic butter, breadcrumbs and a squeeze of lemon.
Tempura battered.

Had some nice soft shell crab tempura with a curry mayonnaise :)

Oysters are OK but what's the crack with whelks and winkles? (Sampled both)

We have a tripe stall in Barnsley and I dunno how that stays afloat? pig bag, cow heal, chitterlings ect

Tengu. Tsk Tsk living in Cornwall an not liking seafood.:rolleyes:
BTW hope you are enjoying your studies love

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE