Oxford Wild Food Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
OK - I'm happy with that - there was only you, me and possibly Buckshot for the overnight in any case so may be simplest just to go for the day now. But I'm wondering if it would be better to meet at the official car park (Grid Ref 293867) - the farm may not be happy for us to use their parking if we aren't camping.

Geoff

Sounds good to me Geoff.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Me and my brother would like to come too if poss!

I think that, within reason, the more the merrier as long as we don't get too many (but I don't think there's much chance of that). We'll meet up at the official car park (Grid Ref 293867) at 10am on Sunday 6 April. Not sure how we'll know each other, but I seem to remember that there is an information trailer there, so I'd suggest gathering near there.

Hope to see you all there. Bring some lunch and a brew kit - and your Food for Frees, plant ID books (or your vast knowledge!) and let's see what we can find.

Geoff

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
When you say official car park do you mean the main car park at the foot of the white horse hill path? I don't have an ordnance map of this area but know how to get to the car park ok. Is the plan to walk to Wayland Smithy and then walk back to the car park?

ta

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
This walk is first Oxford meet-up, as far as I am aware, so I have no idea how many people will turn up, so for the moment I'm thinking that anyone who might be interested is welcome. I'm not sure I'd want 50 people showing, but from the replies on this thread, that doesn't seem very likely.

Geoff :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Just to clarify, it's just going to be a walk on the Sunday now. Check out recent postings for timings, meet-up point, etc.

Geoff

Ratel10mm

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2005
Southern Oxfordshire
I may already be engaged that weekend, but if not, I'd like to come. I might be able to persuade my wife too.

That is, if we'd be welcome. no worries if you'd rather keep it to peeps that you know better.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I may already be engaged that weekend, but if not, I'd like to come. I might be able to persuade my wife too.

That is, if we'd be welcome. no worries if you'd rather keep it to peeps that you know better.

Of course you'll both be welcome to come along and memoryweaver too. Most of us havn't met each other yet anyway so don't worry about that. From the folks who've showed interest I only know Buckshot. It'll be nice to meet up with others from the area and may lead to bigger things :)
Don't forget this is 10am on the 6th April (not this sunday coming) People have made mistakes before :D and wondered why nobody was there because they didn't read the thread properly :)
To add to Toadflax's list I'd recommend bringing your camera (if you have one) and maybe a notepad and pencil.

Looking forward to it, see you all on the 6th.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Just a suggestion but would anyone object if we changed the venue for the plant walk?

The reason being I went to the white horse hill over Easter and there was very little about on the chalk. Maybe a bit early still for chalk loving species.:confused:
I thought how about going to Shotover country park?. There's much more about there at the moment, and it's a lovely area. We could still meet up at 10am as arranged and same date 6th April etc. Say at Horspath Athletic track car park. (loads of space for car parking)

This is just a suggestion as we're just going for the day now, and I think we'll see more there than on the chalk. I also know of a wild service tree in Shotover which is one of Britains rarest trees so maybe of interest to anyone who's never seen one.

Anyway let me know what you think folks and if there are any strong objections we'll stick with the original plan but I think we're more likely to get more out of the day.

All the best

Nick

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'd be happy with that - the very original suggestion had been some of the woods around Oxford but I think the venue shifted to the Downs when we thought about camping over at Britchcombe Farm.

Geoff

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Hi Guys

sorry to say but SHMBO has booked a trip abroad over that week and hence i will not be in the country to attend.
Shame, as it would have been great to meet up with all the local guys.
If you manage to sort out another get together, please let me know.

Hope you all have a brilliant day, I know that Shotover and the surrounding area is looking great at the moment. It only gets better.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hopefully this will just be the first of more to come. I do a lot of wandering around the woods local to me by myself, but it would be good to have a few trips out with like-minded souls.

Just a reminder in case people don't read the whole thread, note the new venue.

The meet-up is now proposed for 10am on Sunday 6th April to go round Shotover Country Park, meeting up at the Horspath Athletics Ground Car Park. This is off Horspath Road (by the old Rover car works), directions are off this web page http://www.runtrackdir.com/details.asp?track=oxford-h.

We plan to be out for the whole day (or as long as people want to be out). Bring your own lunch, brew kit etc., ID books, knowledge.

Hope to see a few of you there.

Geoff

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
That'll be the 6th of April Geoff.

Great stuff. I'm looking forward to it too. Thanks for posting the map and directions Geoff.

There's sometimes a footie match going on, or athletics or rugby so shall we all meet at the very far end of the car park in case it's busy. Folks usually park as near to the pitches or track as possible.

See you all on Sunday at 10am then

Hopefully this will just be the first of more to come. I do a lot of wandering around the woods local to me by myself, but it would be good to have a few trips out with like-minded souls.

Just a reminder in case people don't read the whole thread, note the new venue.

The meet-up is now proposed for 10am on Sunday 6th March to go round Shotover Country Park, meeting up at the Horspath Athletics Ground Car Park. This is off Horspath Road (by the old Rover car works), directions are off this web page http://www.runtrackdir.com/details.asp?track=oxford-h.

We plan to be out for the whole day (or as long as people want to be out). Bring your own lunch, brew kit etc., ID books, knowledge.

Hope to see a few of you there.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE