Oxford Wild Food Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Don't think I can make it this weekend, Oxford's a bit too far in the wrong direction for me. Hope you have a good time.

A quick suggestion for a venue for another time, is the Wittenham Clumps (SU 566 927) -- good mix of environments from chalk grasslands through woodland to riverside, plus parking.

Regards,

Marcus

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My garden at 06:20. Are we still on for today? Anyone know what it's like in Oxford?

snow_01.jpg

Geoff

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Happy to go for a walk if nothing else
not sure if the family will go though
I'm logging off now,
If things change please txt me Nick

Cheers

Mark

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'll be there. My daughter got to the JR OK first thing this morning, so I'm guessing that roads are clear enough for those of us without 4x4s! :D

Geoff

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks again for turning up today those who attended - a good walk out and some interesting stuff to see, despite the blanket of snow. Pretty sure that the willow was Goat or Grey based on the shape and size of the catkins - should have had my Collins Tree Guide with me, as that describes the bark and buds in detail.

Oh, and when I got home I tried my fire piston and it worked first time!

Geoff

Andyre

Forager
Apr 20, 2007
Abingdon, Oxon
Thanks for a good day out, Learnt quite a bit even though it took a while to see things with the snow.
Geoff we didnt disbelieve the fire piston, we all got it to work:D :D
:thanks:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Hi guys - so didn't make it - my girlfriend insisted that she needed the car and I didn't fancy getting the bus from Witney.

Gutted i could not attend, hope you had a good day will def make then next one!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yes twas a good walk. Except for the how you put it Andy, My out of boot experience. We'll organise another one soon. We'll try to do the next one without the snow and we should see more. Another month and ther'll be loads about. I wish I'd taken a photo of the 'Raspberry' lookalike too. We'll nab that one next time. Good day, thanks for the company and making it enjoyable.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I found quite a few of what may be your "Raspberry" lookalike last night - these are at the moment fairly low growing woody canes (maybe 1-2 feet high) growing in fairly damp woodland. Here's a couple of pictures of the leaves - there's no sign of flowers yet. The closest match I can find on the leaves is redcurrant, but without flowers /fruit it's going to be well nigh impossible for me to get a positive ID. There don't appear to be any thorns and when the leaves are crushed, they give off a typical 'green' smell (i.e. neither unpleasant nor pungent).

Geoff

leaf_01.jpg

leaf_02.jpg

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Looks like the 'mystery plant' may well be wild redcurrant. I found a few of them with berries starting to appear (not sure how I've missed seeing the flowers) but with these pendulous collections of berries and absence of thorns on the plant (i.e. not gooseberry), redcurrant still seems the closest match. However, as you can see, not many of the berries are remaining so I don't know many will survive to maturity for me to check once they do turn colour.

The top of this plant looks like it has been nibbled

Geoff

redcurrant_01.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE