Oxford Meetups

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I wanted to put out some feelers about the possibility of meetups in or near Oxford, given that there are quite a few members registered for Oxford /Oxfordshire and we have some pretty good countryside around here. I enjoy teaching myself to do things but sometimes it is good to learn from an expert.

I'm always wary of internet groups as you don't really know who is on the other end of the line, so don't forget to have a look at this thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=897. Any thoughts are welcome on how to get something going, but maybe there could be a meetup on neutral ground (e.g. a drink at some Oxford pub), perhaps a stroll at one of the local woods /nature reserves...maybe people could meet up at the Spring Bushmoot, seeing it's nearby, though I'm not sure that I am going to be able to get there.

The Bucks group seem pretty active (and have offered invitations), but it would be good to have something very local. And from their latest thread, they seem to be becoming a victim of their own popularity so I'm not sure they could cope with a big influx from Oxford :) . I have also had PM from someone in Oxford offering me bowdrill tuition, but in the nicest possible way, I wanted to have another go myself just to see if I could do it without help.

Being fairly new to this game in practical terms (though my interest started about 30 years ago before the term bushcraft was coined - I called it 'living off the land'), although well read on the subject, I'm not sure what can offer at the moment, but once I know how to do something I'm reasonably good at teaching people how to do it.

Obviously it depends on what skills and resources people have in this area, and what people want to do, but some of my thoughts (for what they are worth) are:

• Could you lead a walk and identify edible plants /fungi and other useful flora?
  • Do you have access to land where bushcraft activities could take place. The Oxford Preservation Trust has a lot of sites which are all very good for wildlife observation, plant identification, etc, but you are pretty restricted in what you can do (e.g. can't pick plants)?
  • Do you do any jobs that you could involve others in at evenings /weekends, e.g. gamekeeping, woodmanship?
  • Do you have access to any bushcraft 'resources', e.g. rabbits, willow /lime bark, that others could buy /swap /have?
  • Could you take someone out rabbit shooting or fishing?
  • Can you teach bushcraft skills (e.g. how to do bowdrill, campfire cooking, carving)? Obviously some of these things depend on having a suitable location where these things can be practised.
  • Do you have any Scouting links? Youlbury Scout camp looks a good place (I have camped there when my son was in Beavers and Cubs) but I'm not sure if it is open to non Scouters. Then again, maybe if some of us got 'trained up' on things like bowdrill maybe they would do a deal in return for teaching Scouts how to do this.

Anyway, this list could go on forever, so I'd better stop and see what everyone else has to say on this. :)

Geoff

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Geoff
Not sure if you have searched on the meet up section but in the latter half of last year I was talking to a friend of mine who uses some forestry commision land for various team building activities on the Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire border. The idea was to try and arrange a meeting place and all was going well until there was a family berievement. I decided to hold off a little until this year and I should really make the effort again now. The owner didn't have any objections considering the other activities that were already taking place.

In the mean time I'm more than happy to meet up with anyone around the area if I'm available. (I didn't realise how much time is taken up by arranging weddings and selling houses :rolleyes: )

By the way I'm planning to do the Spring Moot but I'm not sure which days yet.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Bob

I do remember seeing your comments about trying to arrange a meet somewhere in Oxfordshire.

I would like to go to the Spring Moot, but I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to be 'allowed' :( out for a day - if I do go then it will only be for one of the days - most probably Saturday or Sunday. If can go then I'll be in touch - but I doubt if I would be stopping overnight.

I'll see what other respones come back on this thread, but maybe a walk at Bagley or Wytham or somewhere similar might be a good introductory meet - that way it won't take up too much of peoples' time and is fairly neutral.

Geoff

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
My passes are getting thin this year.
I'm already going to Borneo, teaching scouts on each of the May bank holidays and I've just booked up to do a chainsaw training course !

But I'd like to be included in this. Can't promise to make a whole weekend but the odd day and/ or evening sounds fine.

I know Wytham quite well, not so much Bagley or Shotover, though I know people who do.

Cheers

Mark

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
OK - I'm a bit busy at the moment myself, but I'll see how this thread pans out.

Bagley, like Wytham, is University owned so you do really need a permit to go into the woods. I have one for Wytham and am waiting for one for Bagley, but I did take a chance on Bagley the other week and saw quite a few deer there, among other things.

It's unfortunate that the A34 cuts the wood in two, but the western side is fairly large with quite a range of mixed woodland, from the deadness of dense conifer plantations to fairly open deciduous areas, and there is at least one stream running through it. Bluebells are starting to carpet the floor of the wood now.

Geoff

wolf man

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Oxford
Hi Geoff

living and working in Oxford, i would be very keen to join up with others and get an Oxford group up and running.

If you are able to sort anything out, please do let me know.

Wolf Man

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
You're absolutely right. I've had a lot on recently, but must get myself into gear and maybe sort out something simple to start with. Maybe a walk one evening or weekend just to meet up.

I do have permits for Bagley and Wytham, Radley Large Wood is uncontrolled access and good for things like birch bark and cramp balls. I have seen deer in all three of them.

I'd probably go for the western side of Bagley Woods (partly 'cos it's near to me) and it's bigger than the eastern half on the other side of the A34 and I want to explore it.

I can generally do any evening except Thursdays, and weekends are variable depending on what the family is doing.

Is anyone interested? Another option for those who work in central Oxford is a lunchtime meetup at the University Parks. Once you get out of the formal parks, there are some quite nice semi-wild areas.

Geoff

Jan 12, 2006
wiltshire
im in north wiltshire nr swindon .
i,ll be able to show you bow drill methods , trapping ,plantlore,plus a few dodges for easier bush living.pm me if you fancy it ???

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I live in Stratford-on-Avon so could fairly easily nip down your way of something is arranged, I'm relatively new to this so would'nt be able to teach much.

Would be interested so give me a shout...

toby

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE