Ow do from up North!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 17, 2012
Rossendale
Hi all,

Im a DofE expedition supervisor and an Exolorer Scout Leader in Lancashire, just really starting to get my teeth stuck in to some skills, especially ones that I can pass on to the students/Scouts.
Just back from a weekend training camp with the amazing Mike Rushton, from Tamarack Outdoors. Lots of new ideas and info still whizzing round my head.
The main reason I have joined up is to try to beg steal and borrow as much stuff as I can to inspire the younger generation to get themselves out from their digital life, (hopefully somewhere with no phone signal!).

..............now, Should I stick with my tent or should I invest in a hammock/tarp? im a big chap 19st and have a dodgy back.....answers on a postcard please!

Ta

Olly

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi all,

Im a DofE expedition supervisor and an Exolorer Scout Leader in Lancashire, just really starting to get my teeth stuck in to some skills, especially ones that I can pass on to the students/Scouts.
Just back from a weekend training camp with the amazing Mike Rushton, from Tamarack Outdoors. Lots of new ideas and info still whizzing round my head.

Hi there, welcome BCUK. We've got some people on here involved with DofE and others with similar experiences with Tamarack. Sounds like you've had a good time :)

The main reason I have joined up is to try to beg steal and borrow as much stuff as I can to inspire the younger generation to get themselves out from their digital life, (hopefully somewhere with no phone signal!).

Well, that's interesting and good to hear. I hope you mean it with a firm tongue in cheek, as we're not fond on chancers out on freebees. DofE or not. We've had a few in the past and I sincerely hope your intro post puts our members on guard when dealing with you, if they do at all ...

..............now, Should I stick with my tent or should I invest in a hammock/tarp? im a big chap 19st and have a dodgy back.....answers on a postcard please!

Ta

Olly

Have a looksy in the Kitchatter section there are LOTS of threads in there regarding hammocks ... and tents ... and big chaps ;)

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Welcome and enjoy. I'm just over the hills from yourself. Have a look at the north meets and see if anything takes your fancy

Jun 17, 2012
Rossendale
The most valuable thing that I am after is knowledge and ideas, surely the essence of bushcraft, without these then having the best equipment money can buy is worthless. Another big idea that must be passed on to the younger generation. All my Explorers have bought their own Mora knives (which they store centrally with me and only use under supervision) and they get lots of satisfaction from simple projects such as making May whistles or even just cleaning and sharpening their blades.:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hello and welcome to BCUK!

Can't help with the hammocking/ground dewlling decision as I've never got on well with hammocks.

Best tip I can think of right now is use your favourite search engine with "site:bushcraftuk.com" tacked onto the end of your searches to search this site. There's a wealth of information here (espceially about kit:)) but the site's own search facilities are next to useless.

Jun 17, 2012
Rossendale
Hi Simon,

Yup a top weekend, looking forward to the winter assessment! Do you think I'd get a better deal on a Hennessey hammock when I am in the states this summer? Think I may nip up to Ted's farm in his wooded area for a practice, just need somewhere with a soft landing for when I fall out :)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi Simon,

Yup a top weekend, looking forward to the winter assessment! Do you think I'd get a better deal on a Hennessey hammock when I am in the states this summer? Think I may nip up to Ted's farm in his wooded area for a practice, just need somewhere with a soft landing for when I fall out :)

As far as I know, HH are cheaper in the US so if you are going to buy, you ma as well save some cash and do it there.

Have a look at the side zip entry models, rather than the Velcro bottom entry...and buy the big one as it will give you more space to get dressed in when on Scouty type stuff.

Let me know when you are going to Teds...i'll try and get out at the same time.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE