Overnighter with a few skills learnt/practiced--game prep images

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Last saturday Albus Culter, Teepee and myself went for an over nighter up my woods,
Albus arrived at mine around mid day, after being attacked by Jake and catching up with Lisa we threw my kit in the car and off we went.
First we went to the world of bushcraft in bedford as Albus wanted to nip in beings as he was in the neighbourhood, needless to say we were very restrained and spent hardly anything...
on the way back we stopped in the local pine plantation and gathered some birch bark for one of the skills Albus wanted to do

Whilst there we saw an odd looking fungus growing on a dead standing birch tree anyone able to help with an ID?

it looks like insulation foam but I am pretty certain that woodpeckers don't insulate the holes they drill :)
so we got to the campsite and set up for the night
my set up

Albus' set up with the lesser spotted Teepee lurking in the back ground

Teepee rigging up his hammock for the night no pic of it up sorry folks

Albus proceeded to stuff a paint can with loads and loads of birch bark to make some birch oil, its something we both saw demonstrated when we attended the campcraft course where we met but its the first oppourtunity for Albus to do it since then

Albus then buried a pipe baccy tin beneath the paint can in the fire area and balanced the birch bark filled paint can on top

Teepee's currently on a mission trying different hearths and drills for the bow drill technique
here you can see the lesser spotted Teepee setting up his nest....well tinder nest

Half an hours work and with only the bow and bearing block brough in Teepee had a lovely wee ember using Ivy for both the drill and Hearth all foraged from my woods

Of course you have to have the obligatory smoky shot

it was a real education watching Teepee do the bow drill I know i picked up some pointers
We spent a while playing with the fire for a decent lay, chatted a while and had a couple of brews
then it was time for our dinner to be prepared
Me and Albus had collected some pigeon from World of Bushcraft when we were there, however on the way back we both realised neither of us were entirely sure how to go about prepping them, a quick text to Teepee had confirmed he knew what he was doing-unbeknown to us in fact what he did was phone barethrills and get it explained to him over the phone (cheers Paul):)
A quick demo from Teepee

before we both had a go

Excuse the blurry shot here i am not entirely certain what happened

once we had removed the breasts from the pigeons i took the feathers and remainder of the carcasses and put them in a quiet spot for the local foxes and stoat to benefit from them
we then pan fried some chorizo, added the pigeon breasts and some venison whilst we filled a billy can with half the contents of Teepee's allotment

this was put over the fire whilst we had a couple more baileys coffees a few pipes and generlly enjoyed the woods, we also did a bit of tree and plant ID but no pics sorry folks, there is quite a few wild edibles/wild medicinals around my permission at the moment. Yarrow, Greater and Ribwort plantain, Burdock, hawthorn, sloes, rosebay willow herb to name but a few
after waiting a long while it was time for the game stew

apart from the sheer amount it was really tasty eaten with some tiger bread
thats all the photos from the evening, we sat around drinking baileys choffee (thats coffee with chocolate in not a spelling mistake) had some fascinating conversations ranging from heavy weight science, genetics, the arctic and all sorts of other topics.
( As an Aside how many here who love/thrive in the winter were born in the winter? it would add to a topic we were talking about)
eventually we bedded down for sleep, i was using my Czech bed roll with a Dutch blanket and a british blanket and slept comfortably and warmly until the morning. Apparently we had rain which woke Albus and Teepee but i slept through it.
Albus and Teepee were awake before me-no surprise as i have worked a hideous amount of hours at work recently and was absolutely cream crackered
before we rekindled the fire Albus rescued the paint can and baccy tin

The end result Birch oil useful for all sorts of things as it is including leather treatment or it can be reduced down have beeswax and charcoal added and become a glue

we then rekindled the fire got a brew on and had egg on crumpets for breakfast

Teepee then went and collected his van and headed off to work (on a sunday! gutted!)
whilst Albus and I had another brew and packed up at a more leisurely pace

A cracking night out, few skills learnt or practised, good company, good food

thanks for sharing with us

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good post, I enjoyed that. Also got to put some faces to monikers, looks like you had a fun productive time.

Cheers for posting.

GB.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
It was a great night. Again many thanks :camping:

Thankfully you captured the time as I was again useless at remembering to take pics. The birch tar absolutely stunk the house out when I got home according to the Mrs. I think it smells great.

Great food, brilliant company and a lovely time. The rain woke me around 4am but was no big deal. It did highlight the short length of the tarp in the setup I wanted to try. Next time I think it will be pitched differently.
I was using a ccf roll mat in my Czech bedroll as I had no blankets until the morning I set off. But next time will use the blanket as my ground insulation.
Was good at pair back the kit this time as I took far too much last time.
The candle tin worked well and shed good light in the evening.

Again thanks MOT :beerchug:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Topnotch outing, fellas! It is nice to see a picture of the rare species, Teepee! Nice go on the birch oil, AC! I've only got access to river birch (Betula nigra); you've piqued my interest in trying a go at it. That game stew looks wonderful, nice job cooking. Thanks for sharing the outing.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Brilliant Post there Sam, looks like you all had great fun, I've not had time to go out for a couple of weeks, or do much bushy things,

Got to get back on the Boonie Trail soon tho.. :)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Great trip report, looks like a real nice time and a some fine sounding grub.

A Bushcraft store within driving distance? Sounds dangerous ;).

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great pics Sam of some quality crafting of bush. :)

Thanks again for the invite and the brilliant company of Albus and yourself. Really enjoyed it. Working Sunday sucked like the 'dry' weather forecast.:rolleyes: I don't mind a bit of light rain on me on an untarped hammock but that was heavy!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE