Overnight in snowy woods in the UK 20/12/09

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I am planning to go out today for a overnight stay in the woods, I have a British Army issue Tarp, Issue bivi bag, Issue center zip sleepbag, Thermarest and some other comforts (sleeping bag liner and poncho liner if needed)

I'm expecting temps of around -2 c overnight and I feel conficent I'll be warm enough, will not be able to have a fire overnight.

My question is there is most likely going to be snow where I set up camp, how should I prepare the ground I will sleep on?

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
How did your overnighter go? Hopefully your still not stuck to the ground! lol.

Shame about not having a fire, many places I stay I can't have a fire and when its cold makes a big difference to the comfort.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Tim

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
All went well, I had a bit of a flat spot during the day and just couldn't get my **** in gear but managed to pack my stuff after about 3 attempts to condense and reorganise/relocate things.

My bag went tits up because I decided to take my Issue dossbag which takes 3/4 of the sack.

I had to fashion a PLCE side pouch on the back for more stuff (which now i'm back didn't really need).

So later last night we went for a walk and I took my bag just to see how it handled in the ice, turned out good so I decided to go even though it was dark by now.

Took me about 30 mins to set up the tarp(between 2 trees and pegged in each corner)and sleeping-bag I ended up just shoveling as much snow as I could out from under the tarp. because it was dark I didn't find much to lay on.
After a brew I turned in. Left my boots upside down near the entrance(semi-blocked with rucksack) and settled in.
This took me a while. I couldn't get comfortable at first as my arms kept going numb. This turned out to be my baselayer constricting blood flow round the tops of my arms.
Once removed it was all good. slept in running shorts and ron hill tracksters with wollen socks on too, didn't have any problem with cold and slept pretty good until about

7.30 this morning. My base layer was dry first thing. boots were good, Water bottle was frozen so it must have got cold, Damn glad I took the issue bag rather than my merlin softie 3. I need an expander panel because it just too tight on me and would have spoilt my night for sure.

Temp gauge reading 0 degrees C, Had a quick brew and thought I would try and light a fire to toast a muffin on, I had some birch bark in the back pocket of my trousers and set to work.
Cleared a bit of earth and made flat, Found a few twigs in the trees and setup a few sticks as a base. I scratched at the birch bark to get some tinder and tried my firestick.
A few times Later just as I was about to reach for the Hexamine it got a flame. Ace I thought, Fire started. Only had it burning for 30 mins or so as there was a great deal of dry fuel around but it was enough to heat some sausage and muffin. After making sure the fire was out and leaving no trace, I headed Home.

So all in all it was a good experience, but It really does deepen my respect for the people that live in these conditions all the time, I think another night out would be harder seeing as by now most of my gear was damp after packing up.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Sounds like a great night out.

It's a good point you make about being able to do it day after day. Cold weather is hard with synthetic materials and lightweight shelters because everything becomes damp and never gets chance to dry. Moisture from your breath, damp rising from the ground and cold air circulating within your shelter and landing on your doss bag all contribute.

Sounds like I'm talking myself into buying that Lavvu and stove again :)

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I was out friday night with a few others - about 3 inches of snow and down to about -5 in the night (we believe).

Bivi bag and tarp - with 2 rollmats under me and a Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher 750 sleeping bag, I was warm as toast --- almost too warm!

All you need is the right equipment.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I was out friday night with a few others - about 3 inches of snow and down to about -5 in the night (we believe).

Bivi bag and tarp - with 2 rollmats under me and a Mountain Equipment Dreamcatcher 750 sleeping bag, I was warm as toast --- almost too warm!

All you need is the right equipment.

Me too almost too warm, but came good. My best bit of kit was my knackered old snugpak sleeka jacket, made the trip good by almost drying my polycotton kiwi shirt dry whilst clearing the site/ brewing brews defo making room for that next trip.

Thanks all for kind words,

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Keep your water bottle in the bag with you.
In fact put warm water in it before retiring,to heat your feet and in the morning it'll do for your brew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE