'Overlevnad' PDF Download

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Hello everybody!

Sorry for the total inactivity from my side during the feive weeks, but I am working away from Edinburgh (currently in Northern Ireland, again..) and I have also moved to a larger flat in Edinburgh. So far I have managed to translate up to Hunting and Fishing (page 119 to be exact). It is currently a ruff word- outline that still needs some correction and so forth. That needs to be looked at.

At this moment, the project (I belive we can call it that by now...) is at the following stage:
- No word from the Swedish Registrations & Patents Agency as jet. But I am on the case...
- I still need people to look through what has been done so far
- I still need voulonteers to do some of the other chapters in the book (just step forward....)

I also would like to put some light over the questions that have evolved here:
- The agreement with the Swedish SERE School is that we will make a straight translation of the current form. That means that pictures can not be altered ( I do agree, the pictures show how soliders looked during the 1980ts...) and the only thing that are aloud to be altered is the text on them
- The size of the manual itself can not at this stage be altered. That needs a seperat permit
- We can not produce any kind of civilian version on the current permit, since that is a breatch of copyright and the permit given by the school

What I suggest is that we apply for a seperat permit to do a civilian version of the translated version as soon as the current one is finished. That might be tricky, but it is not impossible..

I also would like to stress that untill we recive a permit from the Registation & Patent Agency no material can be circulated to the general public or leeked to others that the ones that are directly involved in the translation process. This might sound harsh, but it is a breatch of copyright and I do not want to end up in a situation that means that we have blowed the trust of the Swedish MoD that have been given to us.

I do think that the server for sharing the work that has been done is a very good idea, but can it be protected so that only the people here that undertakes this enormous task can see it? (I do not know much about these things...)
In relation to the steel helmet for cooking, stuff that does not exist any more in the Swedish Forces, a note can be added to the translations foreword that I have planed to attach to the translation (that also is going to sort out legal matters and other, boring but neccecery things...)

I do appologise for my absence once again and for beeing a dafty, brining in all kinds of law- crap and other things, but it is unfortiantly necessery... (do also appologise for my spelling....)

Good work everybody soo far and this is going to be fun and a bloody good thing in the end!!

Best regards!!!

Mike

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...- I still need people to look through what has been done so far
- I still need voulonteers to do some of the other chapters in the book (just step forward....)...

Nice to hear from you again, Mike.

I can’t help with the translation from the Swedish, but I could check the English grammar of the text that you have translated so far, if that’s of any use? Might be a good idea to PM big_swede to enquire about uploading the pages of your translated text to the ftp server he mentioned, and then all the participants could take a look. I don’t know what you think, but I feel that the setting up of the ftp server should be of the highest priority, so as to take the collaboration to the next stage.

...I also would like to put some light over the questions that have evolved here:
- The agreement with the Swedish SERE School is that we will make a straight translation of the current form. That means that pictures can not be altered ( I do agree, the pictures show how soliders looked during the 1980ts...) and the only thing that are aloud to be altered is the text on them
- The size of the manual itself can not at this stage be altered. That needs a seperat permit
- We can not produce any kind of civilian version on the current permit, since that is a breatch of copyright and the permit given by the school...

Thanks for the clarifications, Mike, very useful.

In respect to the size of the pages:
As I mentioned in post #55 all the pages with illustrations on them have had their text removed. All I need now is for a definitive answer on what size the pages should be (the page sizes in the PDF vary slightly), and I can then make the necessary adjustments, so they are all the same size. When I have adjusted the pages to a standard size, they will be ready for uploading to the ftp server, so they can be inspected and commented upon by the participants in the project. If anyone has the dimensions of the actual printed book, that would be very helpful.

...I also would like to stress that untill we recive a permit from the Registation & Patent Agency no material can be circulated to the general public or leeked to others that the ones that are directly involved in the translation process. This might sound harsh, but it is a breatch of copyright and I do not want to end up in a situation that means that we have blowed the trust of the Swedish MoD that have been given to us...

By the way, if you feel that the examples that I posted for spamel at the URLs in post #57 violate the MoD's copyright, or would otherwise cause them offence, I’ll edit the post and take the images down from my Photobucket account. Please let me know.

...I do think that the server for sharing the work that has been done is a very good idea, but can it be protected so that only the people here that undertakes this enormous task can see it? (I do not know much about these things...)...

I doubt that big_swede would post the location of the ftp server on the open forum, so that in itself would be a major factor in making it secure. I imagine that all the project participants would access the server via a login using a username and password, which would add another level of security, and unless big_swede mis-configures the server (I doubt he would be careless in any way at all), then the server will be very safe from all but the most determined and skilful ‘cracker’.

...I do appologise for...brining in all kinds of law- crap and other things, but it is unfortiantly necessery...

I doubt anyone could object to that, Mike, after all, as the Swedish MoD have given provisional approval to the project, the least we can do to express our gratitude is to respect their copyright and requests for our compliance with their requests and expectations.

Best regards,
Paul.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Mike,

I'm with Paul here: can't help with the translation; but can help a hand with checking English grammar, etc. I'm only a PM away :)

Many thanks for all the effort you've put in this! :You_Rock_

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Hi everybody! It is certainly a large amount of activity at the moment!

New update:
- feygan has agreed to make a on- line translation of the stuff that still needs to be done. It is doe by machine and some words has to be altered into english manualy. This will be a small task.
- Thanks for all people that have stepped forward to hlep with the grammar check. The stuff that I have done now is at an appauling state and needs checking badly.... I will send some stuff to people that have said yes to undertake this cause.
- I will talk to big_swede about the server. Thank you for clarifying how they work!!
- The book in the flesh is 21.5x16.5 cm (21.5 beeing the height) It is also 2 cm thick if anybody cares :D
- Still no word from the agency...
- I do not think that the pictures are a breach of copyright as to jet, but I suggest that all stuff like this ends up on the future server from now on

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Yes, ther is a official waterproof supplemental card to the book that you usally where given when you where trained at the forces. It comes in a small plastic packing that also can be used as a 200ml kausa.....:D

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
...The stuff that I have done now is at an appauling state and needs checking badly.... I will send some stuff to people that have said yes to undertake this cause...

Is the translation work you’ve done so far in a word processor format, Mike, or written longhand on paper? Might be a good idea to get in touch with big_swede before distributing any material to be grammar checked. It kind of undermines the purpose of the ftp server, and big_swede may have a preferred format for the files on the server (for technical reasons). Anyway, just my thoughts, I’ll leave it to you.

...I will talk to big_swede about the server. Thank you for clarifying how they work!!...

No problem :)

... The book in the flesh is 21.5x16.5 cm (21.5 beeing the height)...

Thanks for the page size dimensions, I’ll get working on adjusting the sizes of what pages I have, soon.

... I do not think that the pictures are a breach of copyright as to jet, but I suggest that all stuff like this ends up on the future server from now on

Cool :) I wasn’t planning on uploading any more to the public forum anyway.

Best regards,
Paul.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Update: I have talked to big_swede and the server is on the way. Some stuff has gone of for checking and some chapters are currently translated as we speak.

Thanks again for the clearification surrounding ftp- servers and formats. At the moment everything is in Word. I am learning more and more about computors and other relatted stuff throught this as well... I never had to before, since most stuff I normaly do works with paper, pen, pencil and permatrace....

Still no word from the agency, I probably send another mail to the SERE- school and make sure that it is on the way...

From a freezing cold Northern Ireland, Sim signs out for the night...

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Jusr wondering if you got the chapter I emailed you last week sometime?

Also it's not that a freezing cold northern ireland, Still feels fairly mild to me. Hang around for a couple of months and your'll see it get cold.:D

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Do you have a link of those folding cards?
Can't find it on evil bay
Thnx

If there is a interest in getting the memory cards, I can get them. It will then be the newer version and not the older one that is often sold on ebay and similar. Can´t remeber the cost for them but it´s pretty cheap since I buy them directly from the army bookstorage.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Here is the pics of the memory cards, it´s made of plastic and will not break easily. The memory card is more or less a short verions of the handbook
Some of the contents in the memory card

- First Aid
- Hunting
- Plants
- Emergency Signals
- Fishing
- Equipment
- Cooking
- Shelter
- Fire
- Hygiene and maedicinal plants
and more...

DSC00002_resize.JPG

DSC00003_resize.JPG

The cost is £7 and include P&P

PM if you are interested.

Sgt Sim

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2007
Edinburgh
Jusr wondering if you got the chapter I emailed you last week sometime?

No mate, I am afraid not.. Would you please send me them again?

Also it's not that a freezing cold northern ireland, Still feels fairly mild to me. Hang around for a couple of months and your'll see it get cold.:D

I know what you mean, last time I was ordered here I spent 9 months excavating an old peat bog from september to april next to the Ballegawley roundabout.... So, yes, I know that it can be a hell of a lot more colder.... hehehehe

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Just to let those concerned know, I’ve now adjusted the page sizes of those pages of the PDF with images to 21.5cm * 16.5cm. Had to do each one by hand as I couldn’t get the image editor to correctly execute a ‘batch resize’…bummer!

Next questions I’d like to ask Sgt Sim are, 1) do we have to use the same typefaces and sizes used in the original PDF version of Överlevnad? And, 2) can we change the layout and design, if we need to? I’m asking these two questions in case the translated English text won’t fit into the spaces that the Swedish text would fit into. I’d like to know if the Swedish MoD would object to either of those possibilities.

Also, having now changed the size of the PDF pages so that they would print-out at the same size as the original printed ‘hard copy’ booklet, there may be implications in respect to having to change the sizes of the typefaces to ensure that the text would be of a readable size when printed-out (obviously, there is no ‘zoom tool’ on a printed page like there is in Adobe Reader software application).

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE