Over a year in the making... (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I started this project a little over a year ago (oh how time flies). They are gifts for a good friend who got married last May. Unfortunately I have had a lot on so things kept going on hold for months at a time. That coupled with the odd material set back (such as initially moulding the sheath in leftie) is my excuse for it taking so long.

Anyway, here are the finished products:
Enzo Trapper in O1 tool steel with hickory scales & a modified cold steel trail hawk

photo-60.jpg

photo-64.jpg

The trapper is only my second attempt at handling a full tang, and I am really happy with the result. I made the scales from the end I had trimmed from the trail hawk handle so it all matched up nicely, but I rogered those and ended up using the handle on the other trail hawk I'm modding for myself. But alas I buggered this up too and it was third time lucky (although it has left me with a ridiculously short handle for my remaining trail hawk). One of the big issues was sawing down the middle to make the scales with just a standard saw - very difficult to get nice and symmetrical, and lots of sanding to get it smooth thereafter. When it came to final sanding & polishing I found the wood grain absorbed any metal that was polished off making it look dirty, resulting in some meticulous sanding round the edges of rivets etc. In the end there are still black accumulations of metal in little nooks and crannies where the glue hasn't filled. I've also found that after treating the wood with beeswax/linseed/turps mix that the white liners have taken on a yellowish tinge.

photo-65.jpg

photo-66.jpg

The sheath is also only my 3rd ever knife sheath, hence my newbie error of making it back to front first time round. It's also got a fair number of flaws in it, but it should do the job and doesn't look too bad in my opinion. The axe sheath is the second one I've made (but the first had no attention to aesthetics as was a temporary cover for this very same trail hawk). It's also got lots of little flaws, such as being back to front to what I had intended (the button and the mosaic pin were meant to be on the same side), but again I don't think it looks to bad, and its a nice secure fit and should do the job.

photo-53.jpg

photo-57.jpg

photo-58.jpg

photo-59.jpg

photo-61.jpg

photo-62.jpg

All in all, it's a bit ridiculous how long this has taken me to finish and it's all far from perfect, but in the end of the day I hope that my mate is going to use this stuff, and it should work and last well.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Colin

Last edited:

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Sweet ;) Wish I'd invited you to my wedding mate. All I got was loads of heart shaped "love" things for the house :sigh:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
All those little "imperfections" , as you call them, will be the things that give this set it's character and it's soul..........I personally love all the little quirks that come with handmade stuff. I'd be very pleased indeed to
have made these or to have received them, and I'm sure your friend will feel the same. I think they're really good......atb mac

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Looks sweet.

Love the mosaic pin in the axe

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE