Outdoor providers for people with disabilities

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Hello all - Having had lots of trouble trying to find various outdoor providers and activities for someone with cerebral palsy, my current project is putting together a website that will serve as a 'one stop' site giving information (mainly for parents of younger people with disabilities) as to where to find providers and kit for outdoor activities that cater especially for people with disabilities. Now I know you lot are full of ideas and information, so this is my first port of call.

Thanks

Ede (Nyayo)

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
The guys at High Adventure (http://highadventureoec.co.uk) are a great bunch and will also help you with any programme planning, tell them your requirements and they'll make a programme to suit you as part of the costs (so free of charge in essence). We work with them extensively as they use our campsite (Forest Camp, Sandiway, Cheshire) to deliver some of their camps.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Watching this with interest.
My niece has CP, goes camping with her parents once a year with scouts but looking for more.

Best.

C.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My company Forest Knights is happy to consider all people with disabilities for Bushcraft Survival and Expeditions. We will always try to ensure that we create activities that are open to all. might take a little consideration to adapt but challenges are there to be over come.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
I just knew you guys would be full of ideas; keep piling them in folks - I'll organise them into kit providers and activity providers, and into UK regions. I'm off to a couple of SEN conferences soon, so I'll see what I can pick up there.

Ede

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Thanks Wayne, this is just the sort of niche kit supplier that I'm after - it's sometimes amazingly tricky to track down some of this stuff - many thanks!
Ede

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Hello Nyayo,

If your looking for something in the south east then try Surrey Outdoor Learning and development, we provide outdoor learning to ages 6 - adult and can adapt all our sessions to the abilities of the group. The three centres are, Thames young mariners near Kingston, High Ashurst near Dorking, and Henley Fort In Guilford.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/learning/surrey-outdoor-learning-and-development

I hope wherever you go you have a great time.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The folks at Wiston Lodge in Lanarkshire are worth speaking to about this.
http://www.wistonlodge.co.uk
They have good access and at least one ground floor area suitable for those with mobility issues.

Good people too :D

M

You could probably easily access the first parachute/camp fire area too. I was there the last two days on a 'Leave No Trace' trainer course. Great setup there, Impressed. The composting toilet at the first site had steps.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Dont forget that many people with disabilities are on a low income. Affording trips is often a barrier.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Thanks guys, just keep 'em coming; the idea is to gather links to all sorts of providers in one place - adapted horseriding, off road bike trails, adapted canoe providers, outfitters, guides, providers with accessible sites, outdoor SEN centres etc. so that parents can find suitable providers in their area easily!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE