Outdoor food Hygiene cert.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
I'm going to be doing some outdoor cooking with groups this summer including my local Cub Scouts and I'm wondering if there is such a thing as an Outdoor Food Hygiene certificate or if the regular online version covers you for this sort of thing.

Looked online and cant seem to find anything beyond advice for catering at outdoor events.

Anyone got any advice on this?

Cheers, T

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I believe people who cater for bushcraft courses just take the standard food hygiene cert simply because the principles of cleanliness etc don't change when either indoors or outdoors.

Having said that it only applies if you're doing the catering for them to eat the food. If you're just demonstrating how to cook something then the participants go off and do their own cooking then you don't need a food hygiene cert.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Pretty sure Mesquite is correct as that's what I found when looking into cooking for sailing groups a few years ago. They would learn to sail and me who has no desire to go out further than I can swim would meet them with.outdoor catered meals. That.was the idea anyway.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
No seperate certificate. If you can, get on a level 2 food hygiene course which will give you the basic info. You need to use a modicum of common sense as things like fridges and freezers may be in short supply!

Get the temperatures and basic personal hygiene ( hand wash / sanitizer ) right and you should be fine

Andy

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My experience of groups and outdoor cooking is that hand washing is a nightmare. Even adults seem to think they don't need to bother.

Get multiple washing up bowls, designate one at the kitchen as the hand washing bowl. Ditto one near toilets. Monitor them, if you are in charge of cooking, then make sure you see people washing their hands, don't accept them saying they've done it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
One of the best ways to get your hands REALLY clean is to make bread dough - it even takes all the grime from under your nails!
Once the bread is cooked no one notices a thing...
:)

bowji john

Silver Trader
Food hygiene cert is sufficient

Just remember - if you are serving food to customers for any kind of fee or as part of a business - you must register with the council as a food business

''Registration applies to most types of food business, including catering businesses run from home and mobile or temporary premises, such as stalls and vans. You should register your premises with the environmental health service at your local authority at least 28 days before opening – registration is free. If you have more than one premises, you will need to register all of them

I have been reliably informed - this includes catering for clients in a bushcraft setting

Lots of free advice on council websites

Try https://www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/startingup

PS

It is the way of our world that for every enterprising person there is an army of ''fun police'' and ''jobsworths'' just waiting to jump on your back

Last edited:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My younger son runs an outdoor catering business at festivals and film shoots etc. He went through all the formal training and is registered.

When I was a headteacher about 20 years ago we had to have a certificated food professional to supervise our PTA barbecues.

bowji johns' advice above seems spot on, especially his final comment.

ganstey

Settler
I'm doing a food hygiene course where I volunteer (Forestry Commission) in a few weeks time as we do outdoor cooking with our groups. We managed to find a company that covers all of the statutory stuff, but tailors it for outdoor settings. I can't remember the name of the company off the top of my head, but can find out if you're interested. I don't think it was much/any more than the standard course, but that may be because we are hosting it and supplying all the food.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Fully understand the need for this in our litigation based society, but really......
My caving club can make hot drinks for members and give them to passers buy at an event we run, but if we try to charge even five pence for a drink we are illegal, coz the water comes from a stream. Lunatics running the asylum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE