out for the weekend with just a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
How many of us have used our skills by just taking a tool ( knife or axe) out for a weekend and the clothes we have on.
Just thinking, because i am considering arranging a meet to try just this. I have never just gone out and done it. i know it all depends on time of year and weather as to how demanding it could be.
But if any of you guys have done it i would be interested in hearing your views.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I went with squidders and took little more (an axe, a reindeer skin and an oil lamp) but I didn't take a billycan, I took a frying pan instead.

There were 5 of us that went and we all agreed it was no harder bushcrafting like that than with all the modern stuff.

As mentioned it was dry that weekend though ;)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
yeah, it was very uncluttered... I liked it.

Had it been raining sideways I would have been a little wet though I suspect.

We did make a shelter though! and i'm sure it would have been good for a nights rain.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
John Dixon said:
How many of us have used our skills by just taking a tool ( knife or axe) out for a weekend and the clothes we have on.
Just thinking, because i am considering arranging a meet to try just this. I have never just gone out and done it. i know it all depends on time of year and weather as to how demanding it could be.
But if any of you guys have done it i would be interested in hearing your views.

Might be safer to wait until late spring/early summer.Hypothermia might get you otherwise. ;)

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
This is something that i have wanted to try for a while to really see what day to day living is like on limited calories e.g. doing bow drill!
I have been living out most of this year on my instructor course but in relative comfort eg a 65ltr rucksack for the week with tarp and hammock, sleeping bag and food for the week etc.
I am hoping to take minimal kit and go off for a few days in a few months, just a knife, tarp and billycan and see how i get on. It'll be a usefull insight and experience.

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
Ok lets say you have a knife and a fire steal ,you are allowed two other things

what would you take??????

Oh and you cant say my ruck sac that happens to be full...... :cool:

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
I would take my hammock, I'm not good at sleeping on the ground and would rather avoid it if I can (just the hammock and tapes), and a metal mug or small metal bowl.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Billy can and...erm...probably a laplander saw (or similar).

You can save a lot of energy cutting wood with a saw and do it quickly. Neater than an axe and less likely to chop your fingers off.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i quite like the woodsmoke abo course rules as a place to start. 3 layers of clothing, (no goretex or synthetic waterproofs) knife, billy can, saw, and a piece of paracord a metre long. you can also use any pre-home-made natural line fishing kit &c.

i haven't done the cambrian survival advanced course, but i also quite like mike jarmaine's standard of : clothes including waterproof jacket, knife, waterbottle and mug and a psk

i think that the best bet is to make a little trip as real and personal as possible. if you usually have a possibles pouch with you when you go for a walk, then take it. if your possibles pouch is dumped in the bottom of your rucksack or left at home, then leave it there. perhaps a trip with a mors kochanski billy can kit is the way forwards.

cheers, and.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
sargey said:
i quite like the woodsmoke abo course rules as a place to start. 3 layers of clothing, (no goretex or synthetic waterproofs) knife, billy can, saw, and a piece of paracord a metre long. you can also use any pre-home-made natural line fishing kit &c.

i haven't done the cambrian survival advanced course, but i also quite like mike jarmaine's standard of : clothes including waterproof jacket, knife, waterbottle and mug and a psk

i think that the best bet is to make a little trip as real and personal as possible. if you usually have a possibles pouch with you when you go for a walk, then take it. if your possibles pouch is dumped in the bottom of your rucksack or left at home, then leave it there. perhaps a trip with a mors kochanski billy can kit is the way forwards.

cheers, and.

Some one else who has been to Cambrian Survival!:cool:

I would take my goretex bivi bag and my crusader mug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE