Out for a bit of practice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bryndlefly

Nov 7, 2013
essex
I took a quick trip into the woods today to test out some new kit and get some practice using it. All in all it proved a very successful afternoon!

spot found and DD Tarp rigged up into a tent.
DSC_0021_zps68a625c0.jpg

DSC_0024_zpsb86f51ae.jpg

Everyone loves some randomly placed camo!
DSC_0030_zpsa5d09dde.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsbf7ab3c2.jpg

DSC_0034_zps2a82dba6.jpg

This was the first time I'd erected the Tarp in this manner but overall I was very pleased with how it looked. Once the stove was going inside it was today warm too!

First field test for the Coleman f1 power stove.
DSC_0027_zpsc9d75ca6.jpg

DSC_0026_zps09f966eb.jpg

Also a first test for my platypus hydration bag.
DSC_0025_zpsad76ccf8.jpg

Overall very happy with the new kit, highlighted a few potential shortcomings but nothing I can't deal with. I just need to get some more practice in before the Suffolk meet in January ;-) (my first night out in 7 years!)

cheers, Bryn.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great stuff, are you planning on sleeping in the tent on the January meet, if you are I would recommend that you also get a cheap light tarp for the ground as it was very muddy this weekend.

bryndlefly

Nov 7, 2013
essex
Great stuff, are you planning on sleeping in the tent on the January meet, if you are I would recommend that you also get a cheap light tarp for the ground as it was very muddy this weekend.

Cheers mate, I've got a groundsheet and a spare 2.5x1.7 dpm basha which I might put to use as well under my roll mat as the ground will probably be pretty cold. I'm thinking about purchasing a hammock but I was hoping to see a few in the flesh and chat to a few people at the meet before purchasing one.

Thanks guys. See you soon Stu.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Best idea mate, have a look at gear before you buy, it can get expensive...#

Just as a heads up I am asking the landowner for an extra night for the Jan Meet for those that want it, an extra £5 for the extra night, keep an eye on the Thread:),

I have no doubt he will say yes to it :)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Bryn, loving that tarp setup, i am way too lazy! And normally rely on Skate for the origami, nice to see a new member posting pics and stuff, well done.

Regards.

Ivan...

Russell96

Forager
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
Good trip and great to get things out there and actually try them out. Impressed with the tarp rigging as well! I haven't tried that yet!
Russ

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Very nice tarp setup. Not sure why the camo netting, but may I suggest that when you use the camo netting that you support it away from the object you are trying to conceal at odd angles, i.e. not the same shape as the object underneath, this conceals the shape of the object under the netting. Just what we were told in the RAF, as a Land Rover is just a land Rover when the camo netting is just slung over the vehicle. only suggestion, trying to help, but very impressed with the tarp setup indeed.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Very nice tarp setup. Not sure why the camo netting, but may I suggest that when you use the camo netting that you support it away from the object you are trying to conceal at odd angles, i.e. not the same shape as the object underneath, this conceals the shape of the object under the netting. Just what we were told in the RAF, as a Land Rover is just a land Rover when the camo netting is just slung over the vehicle. only suggestion, trying to help, but very impressed with the tarp setup indeed.

What rickyamos said, if you want the camo to work then it needs a bit of space under it, somewhere for it cast nice irregular shadows to break up the outline of whatever you're trying to hide. Camouflage is very much an under-estimated skill in my opinion, a lot of us interested in bushcraft because it allows us to get closer to nature, blending in to my surroundings is a big part of that for me.

Cheers,

Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE